Cotric to raiders in 2022

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Isn’t he Fijian? Going back home for Christmas possibly?
Yeah I just thought that since he hadn’t been at Panthers training as yet there might be more to it considering everyone is still training.. or maybe I’m looking to much into it aha!

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No chance he's quicker. If Burns has to play then it should be at centre, has the ability to setup his outside man with his footwork and offload...as a winger, na...not powerful enough and too slow. This is probably all personal preference though and I really don't agree with much of what Baz is and will likely do.
Confession of bias is the first step on the road to redemption

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Gus has already said words to the effect the ‘23 cap was in trouble, he said it in that first “Catch up with Gus” video so you can see it yourself. And that was before we signed The Skunk and Mahoney.

So Cotric’s ‘23 money is needed for ‘23. And the reason why he’s going now is because the deal is there now. Knock it back now that particular deal with The Raiders certainly won’t come back and there’s no guarantee at all there’ll be another one present itself from elsewhere.

So you take the deal when you got it, or risk having none. There doesn’t have to be any other reason.
I have listened to each of the Catch up with Gus podcasts a couple of times and I did not hear anything that remotely resembles the 2023 Cap being "in trouble". Plus I simply don't see how it can possibly be "in trouble" since we have 9 players off contract Doorey, Dufty, RFM, TKatoa, JMK, Stimson, Topine, Vaughan and Wakeham. Plus Hetherington is on a Mutual Option, so he could well be gone too.

With the average NRL player contract being ~3 years and 30 players that means 10 players should on average be off contract every year. Guess what, we have 9 or maybe 10 players off contract at the end of 2022. If our Cap is "in trouble" with 9 or 10 players off contract then it is going to be "in trouble" every farkin year.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing I remember about Gus commenting on our cap, wasn’t necessarily about being under cap pressure. More so it was out of whack with who was our top earners. He made a comment that in your top 5 earners, at least 2-3 of them should be spine players. Ours clearly wasn’t.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The thing I remember about Gus commenting on our cap, wasn’t necessarily about being under cap pressure. More so it was out of whack with who was our top earners. He made a comment that in your top 5 earners, at least 2-3 of them should be spine players. Ours clearly wasn’t.
Could be true, but all that really says is we got Burton for a bargain price, which I am sure will be corrected as some point soon in the near future. Plus we have signed Mahoney since and he is a bit of a bargain too, if he continues on his current path I am sure he will get an upgrade too. I include lock in my spine and that's Jackson who is in our top 5 earners. That's 3 spine players who either are or will be shortly in our top 5 earners.

Dufty is on a 1 year contract for 2022 only, if he has a stellar year then he could jump up into the top earners for 2023.

Bottom line I do not believe that our Cap is much out of whack and if it is it is only because we got Burton for a bargain price.

Always a Bulldog

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Your totally out of touch. Glad your not managing our cap and we have adults doing that. BTW I'd rate Burton, Dufty and JAC above Nick but Nick is currently our highest paid back. Keeping him puts our cap out of alignment. With big money for TPJ and Kikau and Mahoney next season, Nicks money allows us to front load other players this year to accommodate next years buys.
Thompson is another on massive coin and having the cap assigned next year to him, TPG and Kikau would again take us out of alignment. The cap is a constant balancing and realignment exercise and no season can be looked at in isolation, rather, the forward commitments are critically examined to ensure alignment over upcoming years with space always to upgrade outperforming players to retain them.
Lot of accountants on the kennel that have direct access to the books, know exactly who's on what and what our cap looks like for the coming 2-3 years.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Lot of accountants on the kennel that have direct access to the books, know exactly who's on what and what our cap looks like for the coming 2-3 years.
Spoiler Alert, guessing the Salary Cap is the closest thing to sport that some get on TK.

Always a Bulldog

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus has already said words to the effect the ‘23 cap was in trouble, he said it in that first “Catch up with Gus” video so you can see it yourself. And that was before we signed The Skunk and Mahoney.

So Cotric’s ‘23 money is needed for ‘23. And the reason why he’s going now is because the deal is there now. Knock it back now that particular deal with The Raiders certainly won’t come back and there’s no guarantee at all there’ll be another one present itself from elsewhere.

So you take the deal when you got it, or risk having none. There doesn’t have to be any other reason.
I'd prefer. ugg boot

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
not sure if Dufty is a better player than Cotric
does Dufty excite me more than Cotric? hell yes

i didnt expect much from Cotric but i do expect more from what Dufty can bring to this team....time will tell

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
not sure if Dufty is a better player than Cotric
does Dufty excite me more than Cotric? hell yes

i didnt expect much from Cotric but i do expect more from what Dufty can bring to this team....time will tell
Sure was exciting when Reimis Smith ghosted him 3 times in a match without Dufty even breathing on him :tearsofjoy:

DoggiesUtd

ps3- DoggiesUtd
Reaction score
Sure was exciting when Reimis Smith ghosted him 3 times in a match without Dufty even breathing on him :tearsofjoy:
bro that was so 2019 lol

cant remember the last time we had a fullback i was excited about - can run and pass and hopefully backs up in the middle

u cant tell me you'd rather someone else back there in this squad

anyways not turning this into a duftylove thread, but i can see the reasoning behind those comments, its not as outrageous as some might think

belmore_utd

Pro Golf Hack
Reaction score
bro that was so 2019 lol

cant remember the last time we had a fullback i was excited about - can run and pass and hopefully backs up in the middle

u cant tell me you'd rather someone else back there in this squad

anyways not turning this into a duftylove thread, but i can see the reasoning behind those comments, its not as outrageous as some might think
Nick Meaney was actually a pretty good defensive fb and i think we will also miss his bomb defusions.

Excited about Dufty's attack for sure but just as nervous to see him on the other side of the ball.

Would actually like to see what JAC can do there

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeh. Out of touch.
We should put a ban on this topic, some comments are just ridiculous. Cotric is a very good winger that has already played at the highest levels in the game, people also forget that he's still young and only just turned 23. Cotric is just on too much coin, more coin than he will probably ever be worth so the club is happy to sacrifice him as part of our rebuild. The end, that should be it...but no people have to make crazy comments about him being a bad player or that Dufty is better than him LOL.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Nick Meaney was actually a pretty good defensive fb and i think we will also miss his bomb defusions.

Excited about Dufty's attack for sure but just as nervous to see him on the other side of the ball.

Would actually like to see what JAC can do there
Meaney is miles ahead in terms of defence and he got bagged for it....it's going to be a dead set shit show on here if Dufty hasn't made any major improvements when our fans finally see him in our colours.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I don't care what Cotric is currently getting paid....a contract us a contract and the club and player should honour it...I say the same for Flanno and any other player.....I'm sick of contracts meaning nothing....I want to see what Cotric can do in the next 3 years if his contract....
Someone forgot to tell that to SBW. It all started with that deserter of a ***** walking out on the club way back then. Nowadays players ask for a release and clubs shop them around and no one blinks an eye.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We should put a ban on this topic, some comments are just ridiculous. Cotric is a very good winger that has already played at the highest levels in the game, people also forget that he's still young and only just turned 23. Cotric is just on too much coin, more coin than he will probably ever be worth so the club is happy to sacrifice him as part of our rebuild. The end, that should be it...but no people have to make crazy comments about him being a bad player or that Dufty is better than him LOL.
How much too much? Is it $100k too much? $150k? $200k? After we share his contract value with Canbra for 2 years how much do we actually save? Not enough to get a player anywhere near his capability that's for sure.

Always a Bulldog