Cotric to raiders in 2022

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What's on the NRL web site is only the layman's explanation, the actual Cap rules are in full on legalese. Registered NRL player agents/managers and the clubs have the current rules, if you know one ask if you can have a read, suggest you have a Law Society dictionary with you.

I have looked for examples of front and back loading since 2019 and I haven't found one, the NRL contract registration process rules them out.

Always a Bulldog
I know two people who manage the salary cap and lodge contracts at two Sydney clubs and when I've asked them about this they've both said that you can still front load and back load contracts and it still happens regularly.

It's mainly with younger players or players on their first big contract but you still see it with senior players also. It just can't be massively disproportionate in terms of salary percentage like it was with Eastwood's contract in the last year of his deal that Hasler gave him..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
I thought he was quicker and naden and allan? From what i have seen of him, if he stays injury free, he will be a very good signing. Could be wrong, have been once or twice
I'd say Naden quicker than both of them by a fair bit. Burns and Allan probably similar speed. Burns is a tough centre.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I thought he was quicker and naden and allan? From what i have seen of him, if he stays injury free, he will be a very good signing. Could be wrong, have been once or twice
No chance he's quicker. If Burns has to play then it should be at centre, has the ability to setup his outside man with his footwork and offload...as a winger, na...not powerful enough and too slow. This is probably all personal preference though and I really don't agree with much of what Baz is and will likely do.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No chance he's quicker. If Burns has to play then it should be at centre, has the ability to setup his outside man with his footwork and offload...as a winger, na...not powerful enough and too slow. This is probably all personal preference though and I really don't agree with much of what Baz is and will likely do.
Oh. you don't like anything.........

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Might be Kikau coming early. The photo in the Polo makes sense and have not seen him in any Panthers pre season photos or videos.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeh and what fun you will be next year LOL. :tearsofjoy:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I know two people who manage the salary cap and lodge contracts at two Sydney clubs and when I've asked them about this they've both said that you can still front load and back load contracts and it still happens regularly.

It's mainly with younger players or players on their first big contract but you still see it with senior players also. It just can't be massively disproportionate in terms of salary percentage like it was with Eastwood's contract in the last year of his deal that Hasler gave him.
Pretty much correct except there has to be a valid reason, in regards to the player involved. The club having or not having Cap space isn’t a valid reason.

Always a Bulldog

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Why the fuck are we freeing up space after sacking Elliott and getting burns on fick all? With this we have almost 1 mil of cap? People saying oh cotric is over paid if we are paying 100/200k that is the over…. We have to add some Nuffie for minimum plus that? The gap between nuffie and cotric isn’t worth the amount we save ffs.

That said if it is a case we made a deal with eels and raiders that we all shuffle and we get Mahoney earlier all for it. Makes sense that way as we need him urgently and the gap between him
And jmk is huge compared to gap between cotric and say Okon or Allen or Lume or whatever.

Just can’t Fucking let cotric go and strengthen eels and raiders 2 direct threats to the 8 for what? More cap space and losing our second best back?
Your totally out of touch. Glad your not managing our cap and we have adults doing that. BTW I'd rate Burton, Dufty and JAC above Nick but Nick is currently our highest paid back. Keeping him puts our cap out of alignment. With big money for TPJ and Kikau and Mahoney next season, Nicks money allows us to front load other players this year to accommodate next years buys.
Thompson is another on massive coin and having the cap assigned next year to him, TPG and Kikau would again take us out of alignment. The cap is a constant balancing and realignment exercise and no season can be looked at in isolation, rather, the forward commitments are critically examined to ensure alignment over upcoming years with space always to upgrade outperforming players to retain them.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Your totally out of touch. Glad your not managing our cap and we have adults doing that. BTW I'd rate Burton, Dufty and JAC above Nick but Nick is currently our highest paid back. Keeping him puts our cap out of alignment. With big money for TPJ and Kikau and Mahoney next season, Nicks money allows us to front load other players this year to accommodate next years buys.
Thompson is another on massive coin and having the cap assigned next year to him, TPG and Kikau would again take us out of alignment. The cap is a constant balancing and realignment exercise and no season can be looked at in isolation, rather, the forward commitments are critically examined to ensure alignment over upcoming years with space always to upgrade outperforming players to retain them.
Firstly placing Dufty above Cotric is very questionable, many on TK would be vehemently against that rating.

I’m not sure who is out of touch here, the undeniable fact is we are Cap compliant for 2022 as the NRL has signed off on all of our player contracts, that includes Cotric. So there is no pressing need to sacrifice 2022 and our finishing position on the table. The only reason for making Cap space right now is that there is someone else who we currently can’t fit under the Cap, who can move in 2022 and who will improve our ladder position.

Who, that is the only relevant question. For example I have no doubt that either (or both) of our 2 x 2023 signings would achieve the goal, so is Kikau and/or Mahoney coming to us in 2022? Without that question being answered the appropriateness of releasing Cotric can’t possibly be judged.

As for 2023, we have 9 players off contract so guessing a Cap position is impossible. All that we do know for certain is that we don’t have a Cap issue for 2023 that will be solved by releasing Cotric for 2022. For 2024 we only have 6 players contracted so we have 24 spots vacant, so making a move in the 2022 Cap makes no sense for 2024.

Lastly, “highest paid back“, by how much? No one knows exactly but for sure it’s not enough to pay for 1 x minimum contract player. Hardly a big deal in the context of a $10m Cap. Plus we are possibly offering around that to who ever will take him. In other words a net gain of farkin zero.

The Cap space excuse simply doesn’t stand up logically, unless another more valuable to us for 2022 player costing less (or the same) is taking Cotric‘s place.

Always a Bulldog

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Burton is a half and I’ve said back 5 many times. I don’t consider dufty better than cotric and to say that tells me that it’s not me out of touch. Which is further supported in your comment thinking we can spend cotrics money front loading. That much can’t be done.

The rest of that excuse has only supported we would be focused on next year and already weakening this year roster for next year. Which again after the spoon is disappointing .

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Firstly placing Dufty above Cotric is very questionable, many on TK would be vehemently against that rating.

I’m not sure who is out of touch here, the undeniable fact is we are Cap compliant for 2022 as the NRL has signed off on all of our player contracts, that includes Cotric. So there is no pressing need to sacrifice 2022 and our finishing position on the table. The only reason for making Cap space right now is that there is someone else who we currently can’t fit under the Cap, who can move in 2022 and who will improve our ladder position.

Who, that is the only relevant question. For example I have no doubt that either (or both) of our 2 x 2023 signings would achieve the goal, so is Kikau and/or Mahoney coming to us in 2022? Without that question being answered the appropriateness of releasing Cotric can’t possibly be judged.

As for 2023, we have 9 players off contract so guessing a Cap position is impossible. All that we do know for certain is that we don’t have a Cap issue for 2023 that will be solved by releasing Cotric for 2022. For 2024 we only have 6 players contracted so we have 24 spots vacant, so making a move in the 2022 Cap makes no sense for 2024.

Lastly, “highest paid back“, by how much? No one knows exactly but for sure it’s not enough to pay for 1 x minimum contract player. Hardly a big deal in the context of a $10m Cap. Plus we are possibly offering around that to who ever will take him. In other words a net gain of farkin zero.

The Cap space excuse simply doesn’t stand up logically, unless another more valuable to us for 2022 player costing less (or the same) is taking Cotric‘s place.

Always a Bulldog
Spot on.

Ripley

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Always a Bulldog
Gus has already said words to the effect the ‘23 cap was in trouble, he said it in that first “Catch up with Gus” video so you can see it yourself. And that was before we signed The Skunk and Mahoney.

So Cotric’s ‘23 money is needed for ‘23. And the reason why he’s going now is because the deal is there now. Knock it back now that particular deal with The Raiders certainly won’t come back and there’s no guarantee at all there’ll be another one present itself from elsewhere.

So you take the deal when you got it, or risk having none. There doesn’t have to be any other reason.

J_Cooper

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
So I’m not sure if this is public knowledge but a girl I work with was on a plane heading to Fiji yesterday and sitting next to her was Kikau.. go figure

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
You don't see much common sense used on here, well said!