Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
On the Science Rules! With Bill Nye podcast there's an episode called "Coronavirus: A Vaccine Maker Gets Personal"

It's basically a bunch of exerts from pretty personal interviews they had with Tal Zaks (CMO for Moderna) which took place from when they first started working on the vaccine until October. It's a really interesting look into what goes on in vaccine development, including how much pressure they were under to get it right.
Good stuff mate, I’ll have a listen for sure.
See the latest crap Trump is running saying if it wasn’t for him and his warp speed nonsense a vaccine would be 4 years away. Given it was all going away last April and when the weather got warmer, why try to take credit for the vaccine? Couldn’t lie straight in bed.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fucking stupid media fearmongering, I seen a graph that told me deaths in the us are the same as usual despite over 260,000 people have died in the us alone ,why are people worried it only affects old people.
Coronavirus-ravaged America is bracing for a disastrous new spike in cases in the wake of the recent Thanksgiving holiday.

The US has long led the world in both the overall number of COVID-19 cases and the associated death toll, with Johns Hopkins University estimating the country has been hit with 13,324,717 cases and 266,534 deaths during the pandemic so far.
There has also been a concerning major surge during November, when cases passed 4.1 million with more than 25,500 deaths recorded in recent weeks.
I read somewhere the US are tracking to exceed 100,000 cases a day for 27 days in a row? Trump could not have farked this up anymore even if he'd done it deliberately. And the carn't won't take a lick of responsibility for it. How do people not see through this narcissistic idiot?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I read somewhere the US are tracking to exceed 100,000 cases a day for 27 days in a row? Trump could not have farked this up anymore even if he'd done it deliberately. And the carn't won't take a lick of responsibility for it. How do people not see through this narcissistic idiot?
Wow if you think that of the U.S imagine what you think of the 11 countries who have higher infection counts per capita and the 9 countries who have higher death counts per capita than the U.S.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
From memory that was the initial health advice but when they changed their stance Trump didn’t listen?
Yes and no. You are right to flag this because he is on record stating masks are good. The problem is he prevaricates, he then says something different, or refuses to wear one himself.

It has been noted by many through out the Trump presidency that you get "reading from the page" Trump, where he says what is advisable, and you get realDonaldTrump, where, much like his twitter account, he says what he really thinks. Trump followers quickly learned, consciously or unconsciously, to ignore the reading from the page Trump.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think another massive surge is on its way ,and they predict 3000 deaths a day watch what happens in the next 4 weeks it may not hit the 3000 mark but it ain't going to be pretty, they have another record with 94,000 in hospitals and continue to rise ,this will have a knock on effect then watch them panic

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow if you think that of the U.S imagine what you think of the 11 countries who have higher infection counts per capita and the 9 countries who have higher death counts per capita than the U.S.
I don't care about those other countries, I just like what I'm seeing out of the US because it confirms they are retarded morons who listen to retarded morons. A bit like someone else we all know on this forum.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I don't care about those other countries,
Of course you don't. You don't actually care about health outcomes, death or illness. You care about your political beliefs and whether you can prove make some logic out of your bias.

At least your're honest about it.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
And yet the usa is smashing them on daily death counts,and most of those countries do not have half the recources the usa has

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Yes and no. You are right to flag this because he is on record stating masks are good. The problem is he prevaricates, he then says something different, or refuses to wear one himself.

It has been noted by many through out the Trump presidency that you get "reading from the page" Trump, where he says what is advisable, and you get realDonaldTrump, where, much like his twitter account, he says what he really thinks. Trump followers quickly learned, consciously or unconsciously, to ignore the reading from the page Trump.
Very true. I think this is what I remembered, more so the first link. They then backflipped but Trump didn’t advise the public to follow the updated medical advice

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp...irus-who-masks-recommendation-trnd/index.html

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
And yet the usa is smashing them on daily death counts,and most of those countries do not have half the recources the usa has
You can slice and dice the data in an infinite number of ways to make countries look better and/or worse.

At least with deaths / infections per capita, you have a fairly consistent method of comparing countries to each other.

But I do agree, it isn't a perfect measure because it doesn't take into account things like geography (is the country an island with zero land borders) for example.

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Of course you don't. You don't actually care about health outcomes, death or illness. You care about your political beliefs and whether you can prove make some logic out of your bias.

At least your're honest about it.
lol I don't have to prove anything mate, the stupid yanks are proving it for me just as they are proving to everyone else except you. You're the only deluded one here, you're the only one refusing to acknowledge the complete and utter fark up the US is. Oh you can try and distract with your "per capita" bullshit, but just like me, you don't care about any of those "per capita" deaths as they are simply a stat for you to use to insert your head farther up your own arse.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
You can slice and dice the data in an infinite number of ways to make countries look better and/or worse.

At least with deaths / infections per capita, you have a fairly consistent method of comparing countries to each other.

But I do agree, it isn't a perfect measure because it doesn't take into account things like geography (is the country an island with zero land borders) for example.
Exactly you have constantly tried to use stats to defend the usa any way you look at them like a lot of European countries they are fucked

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
lol I don't have to prove anything mate, the stupid yanks are proving it for me just as they are proving to everyone else except you. You're the only deluded one here, you're the only one refusing to acknowledge the complete and utter fark up the US is. Oh you can try and distract with your "per capita" bullshit, but just like me, you don't care about any of those "per capita" deaths as they are simply a stat for you to use to insert your head farther up your own arse.
I've said more than a few times that the U.S could have handled this better. But every country in the world is essentially in that category. Some have been less exposed to the virus by good fortune and some by good management and some a combination of both.

It's easy to think every country can handle the virus to the point where we are at in Australia right now, with next to zero local cases.

But that would be to assume that every country has thousands of kilometres of ocean surrounding them.

Every land locked country in the world is messed up. Take a look at Belgium - by a LONG WAY - they have the worst death stats in the world. What's interesting about Belgium? It's surrounded by 4 other countries. It's also part of the EU which was founded on the basis of free movement and trade amongst member countries.

There is no good solution to a virus like this except for a vaccination, which is apparently within a couple of weeks of being able to be administered in the U.S.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
And all those countries combined have less infections and less deaths than the US.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've said more than a few times that the U.S could have handled this better. But every country in the world is essentially in that category. Some have been less exposed to the virus by good fortune and some by good management and some a combination of both.

It's easy to think every country can handle the virus to the point where we are at in Australia right now, with next to zero local cases.

But that would be to assume that every country has thousands of kilometres of ocean surrounding them.

Every land locked country in the world is messed up. Take a look at Belgium - by a LONG WAY - they have the worst death stats in the world. What's interesting about Belgium? It's surrounded by 4 other countries. It's also part of the EU which was founded on the basis of free movement and trade amongst member countries.

There is no good solution to a virus like this except for a vaccination, which is apparently within a couple of weeks of being able to be administered in the U.S.
On this point, there was a good article yesterday where Fauci praised Australia for their success combating Covid-19, but also pointed out that it wouldn't work for American.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
And all those countries combined have less infections and less deaths than the US.
Congratulations, you can google and read numbers from a table. Everyone knows where the total numbers are at.

However, it's not very useful to simply use total death or infection stats. A country like New Zealand is never going to have the same counts as America (or India, or any other country with a larger population). You have to use per capita to allow for any meaningful comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.