Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
When you add this to the lack of unemployment support and the amount of people already struggling with non-Covid health issues and the large debts they accumulate to pay for them, AND when you consider that US billionaires have gotten over half a trillion dollars richer during Covid19, you have to start wondering what the US is going to look like in a few years time...
Exactly and I was thinking the other day there's something like 11 million illegal immigrants in the us that would they be getting tested? They can't stop working

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
You're obviously not referring to me - I will criticise anyone unjustly breaking the law and doing things that put themselves and their fellow citizens at risk. Stupid is stupid - there's no politics, race, religion or any other measure for it. And being ecstatic to see the arse end of the Trump Presidency (as I am) does not make anyone 'left leaning' - that's just common sense (which ain't common enough).
If you're going to critique America, the definition of 'breaking the law' would depend on whether you believe it's breaking the law to exercise your constitutional right to freely worship a religion or your constitutional right to protest, specifically:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances "

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If you're going to critique America, the definition of 'breaking the law' would depend on whether you believe it's breaking the law to exercise your constitutional right to freely worship a religion or your constitutional right to protest, specifically:

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances "
As I said - common sense ain't common enough. And once again one of your posts proves that.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
As I said - common sense ain't common enough. And once again one of your posts proves that.
Some people actually believe in the importance of fundamental rights in America. You're clearly not one of them.

Personally, as far as America goes, I agree that government should not be able to tell it's citizens when and where they can protest. Regardless of political beliefs, every citizen should be able to go and (peacefully) protest. This right has been muddied throughout 2020 as lots of very 'virtuous' liberals who pretend to care about black people went out and rioted and destroyed public property while claiming that they were 'protesting peacefully'.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Exactly and I was thinking the other day there's something like 11 million illegal immigrants in the us that would they be getting tested? They can't stop working
The illegals would be reluctant to get tested. There will no doubt be some medicos in the areas with a lot of illegals who will be doing tests no questions asked just because they know that it is such a ticking time bomb, but yeah, that is a whole problem of itself.

Even for a lot of citizens their options are really tight. I heard a lady in her 50s being interviewed the other day. Just before Covid became a thing she gave up her teaching job in Florida to go move to be near her daughter and son in law in Colorado or somewhere. She has been applying for Covid safe jobs but they have all gone to younger people. She has run out of money, can't get social support because she voluntarily left her job in Florida, and is now considering contracting as a masseuse, which she really doesn't want to do because, you know, Covid. This seems to be a common issue for ordinary folk other there, they continually have to make hard choices, because support is limited or none-existent. The amount of people becoming disaffected is growing every day, and each individual varies as to who they blame and who they are angry with.

It's becoming a powderkeg.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Some people actually believe in the importance of fundamental rights in America. You're clearly not one of them.

Personally, as far as America goes, I agree that government should not be able to tell it's citizens when and where they can protest. Regardless of political beliefs, every citizen should be able to go and (peacefully) protest. This right has been muddied throughout 2020 as lots of very 'virtuous' liberals who pretend to care about black people went out and rioted and destroyed public property while claiming that they were 'protesting peacefully'.
You 'clearly' have no idea what I believe.
As far as 'muddied' goes - guess you can say the same for the McKloskeys in St. Louis (one example).
Let me guess - 'Self Defence', 'Right to Bear Arms'. Whatever.
Again - common sense ain't common.
You're absolute proof of that.

Last edited:

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
LD, given your acknowledged and admired expertise on data analysis, I’ve been trying to interpret this:

View attachment 18883
Could you provide some thoughts? Thanks :-).
Definitely need to interpret results based on prior probabilities, else one would only be confirming their own bias(s).

hashtag purgatory or reincarnation ??

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You’re referring to the Bulldogs??
I’ll take the latter.
Had enough of the former in recent years :-).
Touché - The Kennel/supporting the Bulldogs is Hotel California, right - we can choose to disconnect ... but do we?

reincarnation !

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Touché - The Kennel/supporting the Bulldogs is Hotel California, right - we can choose to disconnect ... but do we?

reincarnation !
Yup.
Since the 1980 GF (first Bulldogs memory) I’ve neither checked out nor left, still dancing in the courtyard :-).

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Sounding positive.
Latest Moderna data shows 94.1% efficacy, no significant side-effects and 100% success in combatting ‘severe’ C-19 cases.
Next stop: approval to distribute.
Up to 20m doses before end of the year.
Challenge remains distribution and volume.
Frontline workers (health, Police etc) likely to get it first following by aged care workers and residents. Here’s hoping 2021 is a 180 on 2020.

453155E6-0EA1-4D7C-A19E-2A45D8FD22BD.jpeg

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
But but the graph says hospitals are not a capacity
There's no way that the hospitals can be fully prepared for what we're currently facing," emergency medicine physician Dr. Megan Ranney said.

"This is like a natural disaster occurring in all 50 states at the same time. There are not adequate beds. There are not adequate staff. And because of the lack of national preparation, there are still not adequate supplies," said Ranney, a CNN medical analyst and director of the Brown-Lifespan Center for Digital Health at Brown University.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
California hospitals are in a new surge of COVID-19 cases and if trends continue, state intensive care units could be overwhelmed by Christmas Eve.

The state saw a new daily high for coronavirus cases, reaching 14,034 and an overall total of 1,212,968. An additional 20 deaths were reported for a total of 14,141.

There are 8,578 people in California hospitals with COVID-19 as of Monday. Overall 75% of intensive care unit beds are occupied — and without intervention could reach 112% by Dec. 24, according to projections shared by Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday.

The state will consider further restrictions over the next two days similar to the shutdown order implemented earlier this year with "modifications," Newsom said.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounding positive.
Latest Moderna data shows 94.1% efficacy, no significant side-effects and 100% success in combatting ‘severe’ C-19 cases.
Next stop: approval to distribute.
Up to 20m doses before end of the year.
Challenge remains distribution and volume.
Frontline workers (health, Police etc) likely to get it first following by aged care workers and residents. Here’s hoping 2021 is a 180 on 2020.

View attachment 18917
On the Science Rules! With Bill Nye podcast there's an episode called "Coronavirus: A Vaccine Maker Gets Personal"

It's basically a bunch of exerts from pretty personal interviews they had with Tal Zaks (CMO for Moderna) which took place from when they first started working on the vaccine until October. It's a really interesting look into what goes on in vaccine development, including how much pressure they were under to get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.