Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So turns out guarantine and aged care both Fed Govt responsibilities but State Govts get the blame for C19 and Federal Govt get no scrutiny.

Malla

Reaction score
It really pains me to say this as I hate the bloke with a passion, but Alan Jones was 100000% correct with his comments on this. The people classed as high risk (pre-existing respiratory conditions, elderly etc) should have been the ones with measures in place to protect them first. Pretty sure we had enough of a sample size through the first wave to understand the impacts. Less than 0.05% death rate. Focus on the death rate, what is causing the death? Is it indeed Covid or a pre-existing condition or is it elderly. Right, so now we have established that of the 0.05% deaths - (for example) - 90% were elderly, so lets focus on protecting them as they are most vulnerable. Instead, ScoMo shut everything down and expected State to deal with it. He is an abysmal leader that relies way too heavily on advisors around him without using common sense when it is most needed. In the midst of a second wave in Vic, he had the audacity to go to a Sharks footy game drinking piss and seen within 1.5m of other people (a law he introduced).

Case in point what has happened with aged care. It's a travesty, and I am afraid that more deaths will come. This was not dealt with in the early stages and now this is the results.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It really pains me to say this as I hate the bloke with a passion, but Alan Jones was 100000% correct with his comments on this. The people classed as high risk (pre-existing respiratory conditions, elderly etc) should have been the ones with measures in place to protect them first. Pretty sure we had enough of a sample size through the first wave to understand the impacts. Less than 0.05% death rate. Focus on the death rate, what is causing the death? Is it indeed Covid or a pre-existing condition or is it elderly. Right, so now we have established that of the 0.05% deaths - (for example) - 90% were elderly, so lets focus on protecting them as they are most vulnerable. Instead, ScoMo shut everything down and expected State to deal with it. He is an abysmal leader that relies way too heavily on advisors around him without using common sense when it is most needed. In the midst of a second wave in Vic, he had the audacity to go to a Sharks footy game drinking piss and seen within 1.5m of other people (a law he introduced).

Case in point what has happened with aged care. It's a travesty, and I am afraid that more deaths will come. This was not dealt with in the early stages and now this is the results.
That would be a possible ideal setup if the world had any way to do it well. Sweden tried that (just keeping the elderly and at risk separate) and ended up with one of the highest death rates per capita. There's also the problem that we still don't know what the death rate is as it varies by country with some countries reporting as low as 0.1% while others are reporting over 4%. And the problem with recent developments like people with no symptoms showing neurological damage from the virus.

The most important thing we can do, something we should have done when the WHO warned everyone after SARS, is to set up a proper pandemic response where we can put these measures in place effectively to remove the at risk populations quickly and safely.

Malla

Reaction score
That would be a possible ideal setup if the world had any way to do it well. Sweden tried that (just keeping the elderly and at risk separate) and ended up with one of the highest death rates per capita. There's also the problem that we still don't know what the death rate is as it varies by country with some countries reporting as low as 0.1% while others are reporting over 4%. And the problem with recent developments like people with no symptoms showing neurological damage from the virus.

The most important thing we can do, something we should have done when the WHO warned everyone after SARS, is to set up a proper pandemic response where we can put these measures in place effectively to remove the at risk populations quickly and safely.
As far as I remember, Swedens response to Covid was a shambles. They acted far too late, they had staffing issues and effectively created clusters within each nursing home as opposed to safely isolating somebody with the virus within those homes.

We were much more equipped to act more appropriately. The nursing home in Maq Park at the start of the Covid spread in Syd should have been the wake up call for the govt to kick into gear and devise a plan to protect the elderly and at most risk.

I agree with you about the pandemic response. We have been nothing but reactive throughout this whole period and nothing irks me more than when we hear the leaders (both political and medical) basically admit on live TV that they don't know what the end result looks like aside from praying to god that science pulls through and creates a vaccine. Even to this day I feel there have been no measures put into place that will put us on the front foot. It's been just social distancing and hope for the best.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Tuesday, 11 August 2020
Man Flees Covid-19 Quarantine in Sydney, And Catches Train to Newcastle

BY ISABEL EVERETT

A man will face court on Wednesday, after escaping Covid-19 quarantine in Sydney and catching a train to Newcastle.

Officers from Sydney were alerted on August 7th, after a man absconded from his room in a hotel in Mascot.

Police began searching for the man and tracked him to Central Railway Station where he had caught a train north to Newcastle Railway Station.

He was arrested and taken to Newcastle Police Station about 3am on Saturday August 8.

The 31-year-old man, from Thurgoona, was charged with not complying with a noticed direction and failing to comply with a public health order requirement.

He was refused bail at Newcastle Bail Court and is next due to appear at Central Local Court on Wednesday.

----------

It seems polcie aren't a deterrent either

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score

"The rate of coronavirus deaths in Australia's aged care homes is among the highest in the world, a royal commission has heard.

From inside her Glen Waverley aged care facility, Merle Mitchell told the royal commission of life in lockdown.

"From the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep I'm sitting in my own room in my one chair," she said.

"I know I'm here until I die so every time I wake up I think damn, I'm still alive.

"I'm sure if you really ask most people here, they would all say they would rather be dead rather than be living here."

The months of isolation are meant to protect residents.

But instead, commissioners heard Australia now has one of the worst death rates in the world for aged care residents; 68 per cent of all COVID-19 deaths here are in aged care.

And worse, there was no particular plan to prevent it."

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's all good puttin has found a cure ,plan your holidays now!!!!!!!! Wooooohoooooooooo
(Sarcasm) but hopefully some good happens

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think the wings both have to grow the fuck up, become partisan and do whatever is needed to control this bullshit.
I’m only laughing mate because as if any politician would do what’s in the best interests of the people. Politics is a joke

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
New cases gave popped up in NZ with no idea where the cases came from. They're going back into stage 3 restrictions for 3 days.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
New cases gave popped up in NZ with no idea where the cases came from. They're going back into stage 3 restrictions for 3 days.

Covid 19 coronavirus: Auckland in lockdown, rest of country in level 2 - Four cases of community transmission

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced Auckland will go into lockdown and the rest of the country will go into level 2.

It comes after four cases of community transmission from the same family were confirmed - after 102 days without any.

Ardern and director general of health Ashley Bloomfield announced the news tonight and an alert was sent to New Zealanders' phones.

As of noon tomorrow, Auckland will move to level 3 for three days until midnight on Friday

1597141654286.png

The rest of the country will move to alert level 2 at midday tomorrow - until midnight on Friday.

For Auckland, that means working from home unless you were an essential service worker.

The area covered by level 3 is the Auckland Super City - from Wellsford in the north to Pukekohe in the south.

Schools will close unless they had students whose parents were essential workers. Public facilities, bars, restaurants and businesses must close tomorrow.

"We're asking people in Auckland to stay home to stop the spread," Ardern said.

"Act as if you have Covid, and as though people around you have Covid.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just an observation from someone who is at the moment working with kids three days a week...they have absolutely no idea about the problems this disease is causing. Social distancing does not exist for them and they feel the rules that apply to adults etc. are not meant for them.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

actually he is wrong , you isolate the elderly and let the virus run rampant among the young , the virus will be everywhere and you cannot guarantee that it won’t hit the vulnerable , carears etc are apart of society and more likely to get it amd Pass it on to the vulnerable.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The rate of coronavirus deaths in Australia's aged care homes is among the highest in the world, a royal commission has heard.

From inside her Glen Waverley aged care facility, Merle Mitchell told the royal commission of life in lockdown.

"From the time I wake up to the time I go to sleep I'm sitting in my own room in my one chair," she said.

"I know I'm here until I die so every time I wake up I think damn, I'm still alive.

"I'm sure if you really ask most people here, they would all say they would rather be dead rather than be living here."

But instead, commissioners heard Australia now has one of the worst death rates in the world for aged care residents; 68 per cent of all COVID-19 deaths here are in aged care.

sick of the blame game , many countries are not even testing or using aged care deaths in their figures , also we have higher deaths in aged care as it has generally not been rampant in the country except this wave in VIC and good portion of cases in the young that are less at risk of dying

Malla

Reaction score
actually he is wrong , you isolate the elderly and let the virus run rampant among the young , the virus will be everywhere and you cannot guarantee that it won’t hit the vulnerable , carears etc are apart of society and more likely to get it amd Pass it on to the vulnerable.
You don't isolate the elderly with the virus running rampant, you protect the elderly in nursing homes from the virus running rampant on them.

I am only referring to clusters in nursing homes.

Malla

Reaction score

Covid 19 coronavirus: Auckland in lockdown, rest of country in level 2 - Four cases of community transmission

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced Auckland will go into lockdown and the rest of the country will go into level 2.

It comes after four cases of community transmission from the same family were confirmed - after 102 days without any.

Ardern and director general of health Ashley Bloomfield announced the news tonight and an alert was sent to New Zealanders' phones.

As of noon tomorrow, Auckland will move to level 3 for three days until midnight on Friday

View attachment 16369

The rest of the country will move to alert level 2 at midday tomorrow - until midnight on Friday.

For Auckland, that means working from home unless you were an essential service worker.

The area covered by level 3 is the Auckland Super City - from Wellsford in the north to Pukekohe in the south.

Schools will close unless they had students whose parents were essential workers. Public facilities, bars, restaurants and businesses must close tomorrow.

"We're asking people in Auckland to stay home to stop the spread," Ardern said.

"Act as if you have Covid, and as though people around you have Covid.
How is this even possible if just the other day they claimed zero positive cases in 100 days lol

Is this a return OS traveler who was symptomatic at time of quarantine or something? lol

Malla

Reaction score

This is the issue. No plan in place even before covid hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.