Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Might be nothing. Just a good example of weak guards that helped cause this bullshit. Because they were un-tendered, more than likely they got the cheapest company and they would be the cheapest company because they pay Indians 8-12 dollars cash per hour.

Just commenting on my 14 years in the industry that they aren't suited to be decent guards due to the reasons I have already mentioned.
Fair point. The biggest contributor I feel was the weak government for installing such a task with personal with no experience. Both at fault, but gees Victoria’s leadership surely can’t continue.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Fair point. The biggest contributor I feel was the weak government for installing such a task with personal with no experience. Both at fault, but gees Victoria’s leadership surely can’t continue.
100% brother. It's a collective of fuck ups from everyone involved that's caused this to snowball.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Lock down is a pretty broad term. What type of lock down? Across what geographic area? Applying to which businesses/individuals?
I was just trying to figure out what you would implement.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
I was just trying to figure out what you would implement.
In general I would be focusing my attention on quarantining the elderly in aged care homes.

The virus generally only kills people based on two factors:
- Age (elderly)
- Health (those already with significant illnesses)

So government efforts should be focused on these two groups of people.

At the end of the day though I also have the view that we are not god and we should not pretend as though we can defeat a virus entirely (nor should we try). People will catch the virus, people will die from the virus, we should simply try to limit this without causing unnecessary damage to the economy in the process.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
by the way whatever happened to 'flattening curve'? I'm pretty sure we've achieved this given that our hospitals have kept up with demand the entire time and have not been over-run with cases.

That's what government told us was what mattered only a few months ago. But now all of a sudden we seem to be trying to largely eradicate the virus.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Its a result of profits before results, ie unregulated capatilism.

Give capitalists a free reign and they'll have kids in the mines again.
Nah. Kids aren't strong enough for the mines. Put them in the sweat shops, or cleaning the sewers. They're small enough to fit.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
by the way whatever happened to 'flattening curve'? I'm pretty sure we've achieved this given that our hospitals have kept up with demand the entire time and have not been over-run with cases.

That's what government told us was what mattered only a few months ago. But now all of a sudden we seem to be trying to largely eradicate the virus.
The plan was originally to flatten the curve, then we realised we could potentially eradicate it like NZ did. Then we screwed up. Now we're back to trying to flatten the curve.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Police involvement in these sorts of things is a lot more complex than people realise. Police are an enormous resource on the tax payers. They are a required tax expense but a single officer costs a lot. Paying them to guard a hotel when you can sub it out to another company for a fraction of the cost is just logical. Putting police officers there also means that they're diverted from their other duties. You're not going to hire officers just for this one task.

It's a real issue in the security industry. They recently released new rules on police responding to alarms that requires that police only be dispatched by an A Grade rated monitoring centre, and only dispatched with actual confirmation of a crime in progress. And any security company that accidentally breaks those rules multiple times (like sending police to false alarms) gets black listed meaning that police will consider any alarms from that company to be low priority. A black listed monitoring centre basically get screwed.

All these new rules come in because police resources are drawn thin and response times from police are getting longer and longer putting lives at risk.
Our Govts, of all persuasions, entrust and outsource the country's security needs for all kinds of tasks eg jails, Manus Island, 150 (apparently?) guarding the Sri Lankan family of 4 on Christmas Is., Centelink and Medicare Offices, airports, defence bases, both land and ports. There was no real dereliction of duty on behalf of the Victorian Govt when the use of private security is common practice these days.

The real problem seems to be the sub contracting then further sub contracting involving 3 companies, which the original security firm let out with no supervision, training or accountability.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
These two articles explain why Victoria’s Government and Andrews as head of that government must face responsibility for what’s happening in Victoria at the moment..they cannot escape blame..

I saw that 7.30 episode and thebinterview with the female recruited via WhatsApp.

Just crazy and so slack of those security firms and Vic Govt checks and balances.

I guess it will all be unravelled during the enquiry.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
From what I've heard, the enquiry in Victoria does not have the powers of a judicial enquiry and does not have the power to compel documents or compel ministers to give evidence. I'm not sure anything will be found out (which is probably the reason why the enquiry was called) - Andrews can refuse to answer questions because an 'enquiry' is happening, however the enquiry lacks the power to get to the truth.

Lets hope it has more powers than the Ruby Princess enquiry where the PM said at a pc that all Federal Govt employees and Depts would fully co-operate, then proceeded to ban any Fed public servants from giving evidence and have produced redacted departmental reports!

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I saw that 7.30 episode and thebinterview with the female recruited via WhatsApp.

Just crazy and so slack of those security firms and Vic Govt checks and balances.

I guess it will all be unravelled during the enquiry.
Absolutely..

Status
Not open for further replies.