No Source Corey Oates

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We chased him heavily last year, and is off contract why not try again, hes exactly what we need on wing
I agree. He's arguably the best winger in the game. He's my mates nephew and doesn't want to really leave Brisbane....

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Would be amazing... but not gunna happen sadly

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...s/news-story/1875ec544321a1756872a92553750f5e

Corey Oates to ignore lucrative offers and re-sign with Broncos
May 16, 2019

Queensland Origin star Corey Oates will sacrifice more than $500,000 by shunning rival NRL offers and inking a new contract worth up to $2.4 million to remain at the Broncos.
The Courier-Mail can reveal Oates has rejected the option to go to the open market and will sign a multi-year extension with the Broncos in a boost for Brisbane ahead of Friday’s blockbuster against the Roosters at Suncorp Stadium.
Broncos powerbrokers and Oates’ management are in advanced stages of negotiations. The Maroons winger will formally ink a three-or-four deal within the month to ensure he remains at Red Hill until at least the end of 2022.

The off-contract Oates has received significant interest from NRL rivals, with one Sydney-based club discussing an offer worth at least $700,000-a-season.

Brisbane cannot win a bidding war due to salary-cap pressures, but Oates has put loyalty ahead of dollars in his desire to remain with a Broncos club he first joined as a 15-year-old from central Queensland.
Oates’ Broncos upgrade will be worth around $600,000 annually, making the 24-year-old one of the highest-paid wingers in the NRL.

The Broncos’ retention of prop Joe Ofahengaue to a three-year deal and Oates’ imminent signature leaves blockbusting forward Tevita Pangai Jr and Alex Glenn as Brisbane’s two leading off-contract top-liners.

Oates, Suncorp Stadium’s greatest tryscorer with 50 four-pointers at the venue, takes on the Roosters tonight with the comfort of knowing he has long-term security at the Broncos.

“I’m really happy at the Broncos. I’ll be staying here,” Oates told The Courier-Mail. “My heart is here. I understand it’s a business these days and you only have a short career, but I love playing at the Broncos and I won’t be going anywhere.”

Due to a change of management last season, Oates was unable to sign until after the 2018 campaign, forcing his new agent, George Mimis, to broker only a 12-month deal which put the hulking winger back on the open market this year.

But Mimis has told the Broncos Oates has no interest in sourcing rival offers.

Oates’ new Brisbane deal will see him become a 10-year Bronco following his NRL debut in 2013.

Mimis confirmed Oates will extend his career at the Broncos beyond this season. “Corey has a strong desire to build on his career thus far with the Broncos,” he said. “To that end, we are hopeful of a new contract in the not too distant future.”

Oates has scored 88 tries from 129 NRL games, including nine from as many matches this season, prompting Broncos coach Anthony Seibold to laud his importance to his back three.

“(Broncos CEO) Paul White has had some fantastic conversations with Corey and his manager, so we’ve got no concerns about Corey leaving,” he said. “He adds great value not just on the park but off the park as well, he is a fantastic fit for the club, I really enjoy coaching him. He has a great character so I don’t want Corey going anywhere else.”

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People do realise that Oates is married to Ex Broncos great Gene Miles.

And 2 months ago Oates became a dad.

He won't be leaving anytime soon.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
People do realise that Oates is married to Ex Broncos great Gene Miles.

And 2 months ago Oates became a dad.

He won't be leaving anytime soon.
I had no idea Oates was gay. Married to Gene Miles is he? Did they adopt the child they had?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Oates started out as an error prone player much like Okunbor. Hopefully Okunbor keeps improving and becomes as reliable as Oates. I'm not thinking that it's going to be a quick progression for Okunbor. But he's got the potential to go a long way. And while it would be nice to fast track our roster by signing finished product type of players. We're not in a position to do so. We may pick up a gun for next season. But I hope it's in a creative position.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Oates started out as an error prone player much like Okunbor. Hopefully Okunbor keeps improving and becomes as reliable as Oates. I'm not thinking that it's going to be a quick progression for Okunbor. But he's got the potential to go a long way. And while it would be nice to fast track our roster by signing finished product type of players. We're not in a position to do so. We may pick up a gun for next season. But I hope it's in a creative position.
Oates is still error prone

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
He's a liability under the high ball. He only plays well in Origin because he has star players around him who put him into space.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Corey Oates dropped from the Broncos team for this week. Is he worth pursuing?

capt obvious

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pass on oates, yes on coates. Id rather anthony don than corey oates at a third of the price

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hell no. He's gone to shit the last two seasons. He has feet for hands. We don't need a winger with DWZ and Reimis on the wings.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No. He can stay with his beloved Broncos.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hell no. He's gone to shit the last two seasons. He has feet for hands. We don't need a winger with DWZ and Reimis on the wings.
If we keep Smith and DWZ on the wings our backline looks a lot better even with the crap we have this season.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No to oates. Rock/diamonds player so consistency week to week is an issue plus i doubt he has the engine for 2nd row which is where he is headed