News Corey backs Barrett (Brent Read)

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Before he signed on the dotted line with Canberra, Corey Harawira-Naera spoke to incoming Canterbury coach Trent Barrett.

“Once I heard he was coming over — I knew if I wasn’t able to get down here (to Canberra) – I would have been happy going back (to Canterbury) knowing he was the coach next year,” Harawira-Naera said.

“My first year over here in under 20s he was our coach. He got me off the ground running.”

Harawira-Naera knows Barrett well. When he joined Penrith as a teenager — moving over from New Zealand with James Fisher-Harris and sharing accommodation on top of the horse stalls at Fernhill Equestrian Centre after being spotted by respected player agent Darryl Mather — he worked under Barrett.
Harawira-Naera holds Barrett in the highest regard and if he had to stay at Canterbury, he would have been more than happy to play under the Bulldogs coach next season.

So strongly is his connection to Barrett, he sent Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson and chief executive Andrew Hill a text after he had secured a release not only apologising once more, but assuring both that they had found the right man in Barrett to take the club forward.

“I messaged Lynne and Hilly as well about it saying that is a good move for the club,” Harawira-Naera said.
“I know they have signed someone who can do the job and put the club where they should be. Obviously you can see what he has done at Penrith.

“He is a good fella too. You want good coaches and good people – he is one of them too.”

As effusive as he was about Barrett, Harawira-Naera was equally excited about working with Ricky Stuart. He did his research before joining the Raiders. He picked the brain of the Raiders players he already knew. He heard nothing but good things about Stuart.

“I have never really heard a bad word about him,” Harawira-Naera said.
“I think it is just his passion — it comes through in the way the boys play – and also his player-coach relationship.

“He is a mate but once you hit the work scene, he is there to grill you if you need to be grilled, but look after you as a mate away from it all.

“He doesn’t mind a beer but his thing is you have earn it at the end of the day.”

jof

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“Once I heard he was coming over — I knew if I wasn’t able to get down here (to Canberra) – I would have been happy going back (to Canterbury) knowing he was the coach next year,” Harawira-Naera said.
See the **** did leave for money and to play finals more than anything else

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Must be a slow news day, who are they writing these articles for, I couldn't give 2 fucks about what this guy thinks of Barrett.

XR6T

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Hill and Anderson probably saw the text who it was from and just deleted it, not reading it. Now, fuck off already you maggot!!

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I thought his sacking was a joke. But what was even worse was allowing him to leave the dogs and go to a club who could possibly win the comp. Nice reward for being a bad boy. His a Wank. Its stinks that some clubs are favoured. SBW is another example. Rorters get what they want.

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Zero fucks given about CHN's opinion anymore. It was a piss weak attitude to have jumped ship after being part of a problem that set our season off on a hugely negative note. I live in hope that Canberra fall back to being a mediocre team again very soon.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
What if we already spent CHN's money and we couldn't retain him? We did bring Thompson in early (reported to be on 800k in 2021). You can only go into the season with ~500k. We also signed Lafai mid season (was this done before we knew the CHN and Okunbor outcome?) Thompson is more than likely taking a pay cut for 2020 but I still don't think we could afford Thompson, Lafai, Okunbor and CHN into the 2020 salary cap. CHN was also wanted by other clubs.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
What if we already spent CHN's money and we couldn't retain him? We did bring Thompson in early (reported to be on 800k in 2021). You can only go into the season with ~500k. We also signed Lafai mid season (was this done before we knew the CHN and Okunbor outcome?) Thompson is more than likely taking a pay cut for 2020 but I still don't think we could afford Thompson, Lafai, Okunbor and CHN into the 2020 salary cap. CHN was also wanted by other clubs.
As soon as they (CHN &JO) lodged their appeals the NRL told us that we weren’t able to replace them, so their Cap space wasn't used on anyone else. The “must use 95% of the Cap“ requirement doesn’t apply till 30 June normally, this year 3 August. So, at the time we signed Thompson, there was no requirement to have only 5% available, we could have had more. Timing wise Lafai is CHN‘s replacement in the 30, which is more likely the restriction than Cap space, which we possibly still have, but likely less than the 5%.

Go Dogs

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly and this could be the reason for the reported "play nice" deal where both reportedly agreed not to talk about the other (cause the club doesn't want it revealed). Better for CHN to take the heat than them just like with Dean Pay. We're assuming it's all CHN's fault but do we know the finances ?. The club could have truly believed there was little chance of CHN and Oka being allowed to play again this year (as many of us thought also) so spent their money on getting Thompson early or in getting Lafai. Maybe they already knew they couldn't afford to keep CHN for next year. It's not really that far fetched. In this interview he even admits he wouldn't have minded playing for us under Barrett. Released one day, signed by the Raiders the next day (like a perfect agreement) - no compensation. Why did the Dogs bend so easily ? because it suited them also. You don't need to be a detective to work it out.

Last edited: