Official Corey Allan signs 3 year deal with Bulldogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Canterbury size up rising Rabbitoh Allan with three-year offer
Dan Walsh NRL.com Reporter
Thu 7 Jan 2021, 10:05 AM

Queensland Origin fullback Corey Allan is the latest target of Trent Barrett's Belmore rebuild with the Bulldogs discussing an immediate shift for the rising Rabbitoh.

Allan is understood to have a three-year offer in the works to join Canterbury in 2021, having entered discussions with South Sydney's permission.

Neither club has commented on Allan's future, however, it's understood talks are progressing well and could result in Allan arriving at Canterbury before the end of the month.

The 22-year-old has had Wayne Bennett's permission to explore his options elsewhere since the end of the 2020 season, which saw Allan's stocks rise in rapid fashion.

Having impressed as Latrell Mitchell's fullback replacement the Rabbitohs reluctantly acknowledged he would have to move on to wear his favoured No.1 jumper.

Canterbury presents an opportunity to do just that given Barrett's ongoing overhaul since arriving from Penrith.

The three-year deal in front of Allan would tie him to the Bulldogs until the end of 2023 and see him join the likes of Nick Cotric, Kyle Flanagan and Jack Hetherington as off-season recruits.

NSW Origin star Josh Addo-Carr is also due to arrive from Melbourne in 2022 alongside Panthers playmaker Matt Burton, with Penrith insisting he will not be released early to join Canterbury.

Allan's signing would likely see him take up the fullback role that has been rotated between Dallin Watene-Zelezniak, Will Hopoate and Nick Meaney in recent seasons.

Allan made his Origin debut under Bennett as the Maroons No.1 in their game three upset of NSW.

Addo-Carr had indicated during talks with Wests Tigers that he also desired a switch to the back, with an initial Tigers offer including financial incentives that would be unlocked if he played a certain number of games at fullback.

It's understood that no such incentives exist in Addo-Carr's four-year Bulldogs deal, and that no commitment was made for him to take up a fullback role.

Go Dogs

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
100% agree with this. Find the constant talk about big centre signing a little bizarre as I like you I think there are other areas we need to strengthen.

Everything you say is spot on.
A big name centre is the ultimate luxury buy when you consider what other needs we have and what players we have already purchased.

BahaMan

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Every NRL player battles under the high ball “at times” even the most profcient at catching the high balls! Take it from someone who used to play Commonwealth Bank cup for the best junior Rugby League school in the day ( Fairfield Patrician Brothers ) that it’s never easy catching a bomb and remain focused on the ball when you can hear the stomping footsteps of kick chasers bearing down on you at full steam wanting to take your head off!
Can literally rattle off 20 players who are safer under the high ball than Corey Allan. Have played plenty of fullback myself in park footy. Difference is you and I aren’t getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars and training as a full-time job mate so that’s irrelevant.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Allen did look good towards the end of year, Averillo did some good things with ball last year but his defence was not up to first grade standard. His best performances were when paying in the halves which is where i hope he plays in 2021 if Burton doesnt sign for 21.
Long term - current outside backs Crichton Harding Katoa Okunbor Meaney and Hopoate will need to be very good in 21 to earn further contracts.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Worse news for DWZ
I see DWZ playing on the wing, so I have no idea why Allan's potential signing would concern him at all.

release him asap to Wests they can pay some of the freight and we sign Momo who slots straight into centre equals..win + WIN
My view is that Cotric & Hopoate are both better centres than Momirovski, so he would be a back up at best.

Go Dogs

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
True, but some quality experience with finals footy and state of origin decider

Big game experience
Meh. Cotric is younger and has played 93 games...that's experience.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
A big name centre is the ultimate luxury buy when you consider what other needs we have and what players we have already purchased.
Another consideration is who is actually available and who we have missed out on

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I see DWZ playing on the wing, so I have no idea why Allan's potential signing would concern him at all.

My view is that Cotric & Hopoate are both better centres than Momirovski, so he would be a back up at best.

Go Dogs
Think his performance needs to improve considerably else the club loses patience with him and trades him. Allen can also play wing so not sure that argument saves DWZ. Allen has some chops so losing DWZ is a little more palatable especially with JAC coming in 2022. Not like we are staring down the barrel of having to rely on Montoya, Holland etc. like we have in years past.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes which is why Cotric is a great signing. You can't compare a signing with another player at the club.
Why not? 93 games vs 29 games..in what universe is Allan experienced? Of course I'm going to draw comparisons with a similarly age player to highlight this.

I get people are excited but they should stop making ridiculous claims. Someone even compared Allan to Barba...like lol.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
With Elliot, CSmith and now Allen (potentially) with JAC to join, we could end up with as many Indigenous players as the Wabbits.
1609982464140.png
Go Dogs

Last edited: