Official Corey Allan signs 3 year deal with Bulldogs

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree on Meaney. Was outmuscled in 19. Had put on some bulk in 20 and learnt to get lower when hitting the line. If he continues to add a bit of muscle I think he's got the potential to have a big year. Averillo has talent. But needs to toughen up against men in the lower grades as a big hit last year tended to send him into his shell. I think he's only 20 though, so hopefully he's a bit patient and earns his jersey.
Agree with you about Meaney's progress. He rarely got pushed backwards in 2020 and was pretty safe and is a decent finisher. But although he's very quick in space, he rarely finds any because he lacks a decent take-off. He has no sideways agility and acceleration off the mark. I don't think he can put enough size on to be physically imposing so he should work more on his initial speed IMO.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Someone should show this to Burton, ask him if Ivan is really looking for what's best for him, or what's best for Ivan...
Ivan's already said (with a straight face) that Burton staying at Penrith is the best thing for his career. Being able to soak up Ivan's aura for another 12 months is a gift don't you know.

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Agree with you about Meaney's progress. He rarely got pushed backwards in 2020 and was pretty safe and is a decent finisher. But although he's very quick in space, he rarely finds any because he lacks a decent take-off. He has no sideways agility and acceleration off the mark. I don't think he can put enough size on to be physically imposing so he should work more on his initial speed IMO.
Probably needs to have a big year..9 tries in 37 games is hardly a high output(and scored 3 in one game)so needs something to change.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Probably needs to have a big year..9 tries in 37 games is hardly a high output(and scored 3 in one game)so needs something to change.
Last season maybe having a few decent players around him would have helped, this season no such excuse.

Go Dogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
im not disagreeing with you bud, but a 5/8 is more important than a winger and hence why they are playing hard ball. Souths have graham , johnson, marsters who can all play fullback. Allan only played SOO due to playing for qld and injuries.
but dont worry we are still trying to get hence why we have 28 spots filled, one for Burton and possibly fox.
I'm actually more confident we will end up getting Burton for 2021. I think Fox is committed to one last year with the Storm.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I'm actually more confident we will end up getting Burton for 2021. I think Fox is committed to one last year with the Storm.
i think there is more to Smith leaving early, just a hunch

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He’s being interviewed on 2SM 515pm this afternoon if anyone is interested

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Brendon either belmore or red hill
If Brandon goes to the Broncos I'd like to see us going after Jake Turpin again. We didn't get to see him (or the Broncos) last year due to injury, but I think he can be someone special (which is sort of why I have us and Titans as favourites for Brandon, I think the Broncos will stick with Turpin). There isn't a lot available at hooker, but I think he's a similar transfer target to other players we've signed and targeted.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Brandon goes to the Broncos I'd like to see us going after Jake Turpin again. We didn't get to see him (or the Broncos) last year due to injury, but I think he can be someone special (which is sort of why I have us and Titans as favourites For Brandon, I think the Broncos will stick with Turpin).
He can’t even pass.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
He can’t even pass.
I don't agree, but who do you want? Outside Brandon Smith, Turpin and McInnes I don't see anyone else.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think more important is how he plays this year in much improved backline, under new coaching staff. If he is still our best player (as he has been for the last 2+ years) then I see no reason not to resign him, at obviously an appropriate price of course.

Go Dogs
I’d be very surprised if Hoppa is retained past this year, as he is one of a number of players off contract and by buying Allan they’re looking to the future. Yes many say Hoppa’s best at FB but I remember reading a quote from Hoppa himself say that he’s preferred position is to play FB. If that’s the case he can do better elsewhere when signing his next contract. Furthermore you only have to look how many signings we’ve already made since Barrett has come onboard. With JAC arriving in ‘22 it’s going to attract a lot younger and faster talent to the club with so many off contract players at the end of this season.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I’d be very surprised if Hoppa is retained past this year, as he is one of a number of players off contract and by buying Allan they’re looking to the future. Yes many say Hoppa’s best at FB but I remember reading a quote from Hoppa himself say that he’s preferred position is to play FB. If that’s the case he can do better elsewhere when signing his next contract. Furthermore you only have to look how many signings we’ve already made since Barrett has come onboard. With JAC arriving in ‘22 it’s going to attract a lot younger and faster talent to the club with so many off contract players at the end of this season.
hoppa has been one of our best for the last 3 years or so, id hate to see him go. i reckon next year he would make the transition to a luke lewis style edge back rower. He already is a big body, can hit a hole, great hands and defence. if he decided to go that way, put some bulk on, i reckon he would be a success.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Not wishing to start an argument, but I'm not sure I understand how having a large number of other players off contract next year somehow makes Hopoate more likely to not be resigned. I would have thought exactly the reverse, some continuity would be desirable, and being one of the senior players and one of the better players his ongoing presence would be of benefit.

Same as the others if he plays well and impresses then I'm confident that he will be here next year. Same as the others, if he doesn't then he won't.

Go Dogs

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Not wishing to start an argument, but I'm not sure I understand how having a large number of other players off contract next year somehow makes Hopoate more likely to not be resigned. I would have thought exactly the reverse, some continuity would be desirable, and being one of the senior players and one of the better players his ongoing presence would be of benefit.

Same as the others if he plays well and impresses then I'm confident that he will be here next year. Same as the others, if he doesn't then he won't.

Go Dogs
If we want a position for Averillo, which I think we should, unless Allan or Burton are flops at fullback and five-eighth (no reason to think they would be), Averillo probably needs to be in the centres. To me that'd mean we'd have to not re-sign Hopoate or what I actually prefer shopping DWZ around. We've sort of created our own Cleary, Luai and Burton situation (Burton, Flanagan and Averillo), but with Allan coming it's probably even more complicated. I guess you can't always keep everyone, but it doesn't make much sense to me signing long term players in positions where our most promising player coming through plays. Time will tell anyways.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
If we want a position for Averillo, which I think we should, unless Allan or Burton are flops at fullback and five-eighth (no reason to think they would be), Averillo probably needs to be in the centres. To me that'd mean we'd have to not re-sign Hopoate or what I actually prefer shopping DWZ around. We've sort of created our own Cleary, Luai and Burton situation (Burton, Flanagan and Averillo), but with Allan coming it's probably even more complicated. I guess you can't always keep everyone, but it doesn't make much sense to me signing long term players in positions where our most promising player coming through plays. Time will tell anyways.
My view is if Averillo earns a position then he will get one. So far I don't think he is remotely close to demanding that he be picked in any position. Plainly he has attacking skills, mostly in his feet, but the rest of the package required of an NRL player simply isn't there, YET. He has time, we just need to give it to him.

Go Dogs

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mate parra without gutherson,would’ve been ultra shit,he was their best by a country mile,I would take him any day,he would be sensational in blue and white.
He is by far the most un orthodox player on the NRL if there is one player that doesn’t look like a footy player currently in first grade it’s him but give the guy credit he is a good player and does his job well would happily have him playing for the dogs one day