Official Corey Allan signs 3 year deal with Bulldogs

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
"Wayne wants the best for his players, he's always been good to me. He told me the truth, he said Latrell is here, I deserve to be playing first grade, and if I can find somewhere else he'll happily release me because he wants the best for me.''
Someone should show this to Burton, ask him if Ivan is really looking for what's best for him, or what's best for Ivan...

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Someone should show this to Burton, ask him if Ivan is really looking for what's best for him, or what's best for Ivan...
i agree but he is contracted so they have every right to hold him. If they get an injury they have a first grade replcaement ready to go,

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I will always lol@Souffs. But just for a moment, lets reflect on the circumstances of Allan and Burton. Both are stuck behind someone in their favoured position, both have other clubs who would take them in a heartbeat and start them. Allan is released without hesitation, and indeed Souffs have been proactive and telling him he can look elsewhere, they don't want to hold him back. Sure he isn't on minimum, but he wasn't on the big money, and given they are also helping with some of his freight this is not a move by them designed to clear up a bunch of capspace. They've done the better thing for Rugby league.

Now look at Penriff. They are holding back a guy who is ready to start, and would go straight into the starting lineup of at least 5 or 6 NRL teams, including ours. I reckon if Gould was still in charge over there Burton would have been released, he gets it, has his eye on the bigger picture of the game as a whole. Ivan though, well look at his track record, especially what he did to Wests. I wonder if this is why he and Gould don't seem to like each other much.
You are spot on looking into it from outside..
But Ivan might have a legit reason !

Last edited:

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
i agree but he is contracted so they have every right to hold him. If they get an injury they have a first grade replcaement ready to go,
Wayne and the buns could have used the same argument for Allan. Sometimes just because one is within one's rights to do (or not do) something, it doesn't mean it is the best decision all things considered. Sure, souffs no longer have a backup FB who has played origin, but Allan has shown he should be starting regularly, and so has Burton.

Ultimately it will be to Penriffs detriment. Clubs are going to be looking at how they've handled the Burton situation and they may decide not to be generous in their direction for fear of generosity not being reciprocated. If in a few seasons time we have a number of young backrowers playing reserves who would walk into another team, and say Storm, souffs, and penriff are all short because injury, early retirement etc. Which of those clubs do you think we are going to be more inclined to do a deal with?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Hoppa off contract end of 2021 anyway.
I know he’s only 29 at the end of this year and he’s been a good servant for us, but I’m struggling to see him being re-signed. Granted it could depend on who else is targeted for 2022.
I think more important is how he plays this year in much improved backline, under new coaching staff. If he is still our best player (as he has been for the last 2+ years) then I see no reason not to resign him, at obviously an appropriate price of course.

Go Dogs

CanterburybankstownBD

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think more important is how he plays this year in much improved backline, under new coaching staff. If he is still our best player (as he has been for the last 2+ years) then I see no reason not to resign him, at obviously an appropriate price of course.

Go Dogs
Hopoate is one of my favourite players, I think he's a good person to have in a team because he's a really decent guy and every team needs one. It just adds something to the dynamics/environment. He's also still a. good player just lacking speed. He had some really good games last year and the year before. Hope we resign him

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score

Go Dogs
That’s fair. More than happy to see how he goes with improved cattle, coaching and structures. He’s already lost pace though, so not only price but tenure would have to be of high consideration if he’s to be renewed.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
You are spot on looking into it from outside..
But Ivan might have a legit reason !
According to Ivan;
1. ‘‘There was always the possibility Burto might decide to leave, and that was always going to be purely for opportunity and better money."
2. ‘‘But we were clear from the start he wouldn’t be granted a release for 2021 if that did happen. That hasn’t changed, we’ve been very open about it, and there are two reasons for it."
3. ‘‘Firstly, Matt is a very valuable member of our squad and will make a considerable contribution to our performance next year."
4. ‘‘And we also think it’s best for him personally to stay in our system for another year so he can further develop – it’s our opinion that it’s best for him in the long run he stays with us another 12 months."

Breaking it down in plain English;
1. We are almightily pissed because he is leaving for more opportunity and better money.
2. We are being stubborn arseholes, we told him he wouldn't be released and we are holding on to that.
3. We are chicken shit scared that our first 2 halves choices, and the back up, might be the wrong ones so we can save our sorry arses by changing our mind and promoting Burton.
4. I am by far the best coach in the NRL and every extra minute he spends being coached by me will make him a better player.

Go Dogs

GUSLER

Kennel Established
Reaction score

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs@NRL_Bulldogs

"He is a very confident footballer and a very confident fullback." -

@PhilGould15

on our newest recruit. #proudtobeabulldog

RJ@RJ_Goodthings

Replying to
@NRL_Bulldogs and @PhilGould15

Hopefully he continues to grow and add a bit of spark to our backline. Offers a lot of promise.

Anti Complacency League
@michaelaxe

Replying to

If this is the guy who played #1 late in the rabbitohs season; including the smashing of the chooks. He's S.O.O material. Well done dogs.

Faustino Rossi

@4orty6ix

He played SOO this year

James Godriguez de la Ecuadorrrrr!
@JohnNg93

Replying to

I’ll be cheering on the ‘Dogs in 2021 from the UK and South America!

Ajunga@Ajunga4

Replying to @NRL_Bulldogs and @PhilGould15

Huge if true

@sourrpink
·
Replying to @NRL_Bulldogs and
@PhilGould15
He so hot pipe me

Snow88mann@Mann88Snow
Replying to @NRL_Bulldogs and
@PhilGould15

Good signing, strange but good. I assume Hoppa now leaves after this
Does Gould still think Trent should back out of the bulldogs deal?

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon Gus is alright, a bit old school in some ways and stoic aka a grumpy bastard but a bloke who knows his shit.Was probably asked in a public forum his opinion? assuming so but dont know, reckon he may have come around now with the recruitment achieved and general vibe coming from the joint lately.

Dont follow him closely but he has always had time for the dogs has this turned in recent times?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I only see positive in this signing.

1. There are currently no fullbacks in the mould of Paps or Tedesco on the market so he's a good stop gap for season 21.

2. He's an upgrade on Hoppa and has lots of room for improvement unlike Hoppa who has reached his ceiling.

3. His signing allows Hoppa to play in the centers which makes the team stronger

4. Hoppa, Okunbor and Meaney all come off contract this year so if we do secure a better fullback he will slot in at wing or centre. I reckon Meaney won't be re-signed and Allan will be right wing and backup FB.

5. The team looks so much better on paper with his addition and I'm confident we can win a little more than the 3 games we won last year.

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wayne and the buns could have used the same argument for Allan. Sometimes just because one is within one's rights to do (or not do) something, it doesn't mean it is the best decision all things considered. Sure, souffs no longer have a backup FB who has played origin, but Allan has shown he should be starting regularly, and so has Burton.

Ultimately it will be to Penriffs detriment. Clubs are going to be looking at how they've handled the Burton situation and they may decide not to be generous in their direction for fear of generosity not being reciprocated. If in a few seasons time we have a number of young backrowers playing reserves who would walk into another team, and say Storm, souffs, and penriff are all short because injury, early retirement etc. Which of those clubs do you think we are going to be more inclined to do a deal with?
im not disagreeing with you bud, but a 5/8 is more important than a winger and hence why they are playing hard ball. Souths have graham , johnson, marsters who can all play fullback. Allan only played SOO due to playing for qld and injuries.
but dont worry we are still trying to get hence why we have 28 spots filled, one for Burton and possibly fox.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did you miss the memo where Hopoate is reverting back to his rightful position as centre after filling in at fullback.

Go Dogs
That might be true for 2021 but he won’t be there come 2022 as he’s off contract at the end of this season. The club should also offer Napa an early release from his last year. Should never have been signed in the first place.