Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Cooper Cronk confirms he will play on with a Sydney club in season 2018
Paul Crawley, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago
Subscriber only

THE chase for Cooper Cronk is officially on.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal that Cronk met with his agent George Mimis on Friday and confirmed that he wanted to continue his NRL career in Sydney for possibly the next two years.

Mimis confirmed: “I caught up with Cooper today.

“Since the grand final he has been reflecting on his possibilities.

“Today he has advised me that his inclination will be to continue to play should the right opportunity present itself.

“So I will now embark on having some relevant conversations and see where they take us.”

It ends months of speculation after the champion halfback revealed early this season that he was leaving Melbourne to move to Sydney to live with his partner Tara Rushton.

Mimis was adamant no deal had been done but the Sydney Roosters are in the box seat to secure the 33-year-old’s prized signature.

Cronk has been linked with a move to the Roosters.

South Sydney chief executive Shane Richardson said last week that his club would not be signing Cronk.

But it is understood that since Cronk announced that he would be leaving Melbourne almost every Sydney NRL club has made contact to express their interest.

The Roosters are keen and have enough wiggle room in their salary cap to make the deal happen.

The Roosters have made it known they have no intention of forcing Mitchell Pearce out of the club but if the deal is done Cronk will be wearing the No 7 jumper.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cue the "these last two years won't be about money, blah blah blah" and the NRL accept a $700k contract as acceptable for his value.

If the Rorters don't win next year, it'll be a miracle

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Cue the "these last two years won't be about money, blah blah blah" and the NRL accept a $700k contract as acceptable for his value.

If the Rorters don't win next year, it'll be a miracle
Yep, easier draw plus being green lighted to have Cooper Cronk we can already see who the team of flavor is for season of 2018. The push had already started before a game has been played. Oh how i really want us to beat them next season, even more so now.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If a team is able to afford his contract, and I would say it needs to be a minimum of $1.2M, then the salary cap is a joke! There’s no way, the roosters or any other Sydney team can afford his contract!

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
What a man will do for LOVE!!!!!

It just annoys me the way that this has played out. It seems that he NEVER had any intention to retire....and once again the NRL gets its feel good story because of it.

Hate people playing games and he has done it calmly and in a calculated way. All we need now is the Roosters pres release and the farce will be complete.....

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It’s honestly going to be a joke if the jewsters sign him.

Honestly just scrap the salary cap.
If Todd Greenberg lets the Roosters sign Cronk then all hell is going to break loose because everyone other than Roosters supporters are going to riot or boycott the competition. It will be official proof that the salary cap is a joke (that's for those who don't already know that the system is a joke).

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The roosters have already leaked some info to prepare people for what's coming. They've said $650k is available in their cap. They'll just let go of some other reserve grader and say they've now got enough to sign him.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
you tell me who else can AFFORD to sign him in sydney?
Honestly there must be a millionaire kebab owner in belmore. Get him to buy this club so we can sign players like Cronk on “$500k” and give them brown paper bags with good stuff in it (and I’m not talking chicken on rice with extra hummus).

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He looked good at the storm but that's because of Smith and Slater.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Not only will the Roosters sign him, but then a year later they'll also be signing SBW again in what will continue the longest running rort in the game.

The salary cap is a joke and has been since day 1.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I know it's not Sydney, but damn it would be amazing to see a current Australian halfback go play a few years at the Knights and help rebuild them. That would better prove how good a player he actually was... not signing with a club that is already more than capable of winning a Premiership without him.

GTOWN

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What a complete wanker.... leaves it until the off season, and forces a club to offload other players to make way for him. If he had made the decision months ago, who ever has to go could have negotiated with a club of their choice... imagine your the player and the only other club that you can now go to is manly....

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I know it's not Sydney, but damn it would be amazing to see a current Australian halfback go play a few years at the Knights and help rebuild them. That would better prove how good a player he actually was... not signing with a club that is already more than capable of winning a Premiership without him.
That's the exact point I was mentioning the other day, go out helping instead of just the $$$. Be a part of something more. Man I must be getting old where I think legacy meant more than $$. I guess it's up to Cooper how he wants to be remembered.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Letting go of Friend for Cronk. How many lives does Pearce have?? Can't perform in the big games and yet somehow doesn't get squeezed out for Cronk

Status
Not open for further replies.