News Cooper Cronk’s advice to Wests Tigers hooker Harry Grant

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cooper Cronk says Wests Tigers rookie revelation Harry Grant should choose his next career move wisely, warning it could be make or break. FIND OUT WHY.

Fatima Kdouh, The Daily Telegraph

Cooper Cronk has warned Wests Tigers rookie revelation Harry Grant that his next career move could be the difference between him becoming an NRL great or a 100-game player.​
The four-time premiership winner is adamant if he hadn’t landed at a club like the Melbourne Storm, he would not have been able to build a stellar 375-game NRL career.​
And that spells bad news for the Tigers, who haven’t played finals football in almost a decade.​
Just five games into his rookie season, Grant’s ascension has been stunning — the hooker is outright second on the Dally M leaderboard behind North Queensland’s Jason Taumalolo after seven rounds.​
Grant is on loan at Wests from Melbourne, where uncertainty remains over the future of legendary hooker Cameron Smith and whether he’ll play on again in 2021.​
According to Fox League expert commentator Cronk, if Grant is to fully reach his enormous potential, he should consider returning to the Storm even if Smith extends his record-breaking career.​
“I’m happy to say on record that if I went to some other clubs I would have been a 100 or 150-gamer at best,” said Cronk, whose decorated career included four premierships with the Storm and Sydney Roosters, 38 caps for the Kangaroos and 22 Origin appearances for Queensland.​
“But because I landed at [some good clubs] particularly Melbourne Storm at first … the work ethic and the resources they gave me, I was able to achieve things I never thought were possible.​
“For Harry Grant, if the situation comes up, find the club that you think is going to make you become a better person and footy player.”​
Grant landed at the Tigers from Melbourne this season courtesy of a swap deal with outside back Paul Momirovski. He is contracted with the Storm until the end of 2022 and is seen as Smith’s successor, but it’s believed he can activate a get-out clause if the veteran hooker doesn’t hang up his boots.​
“Frank Ponissi, the Melbourne Storm’s football director, has been quoted saying even if Cameron Smith goes around, Harry Grant will be coming back to the Storm. That’s a smart move on the Storm’s behalf,” Cronk said.​
“What would my advice be to Harry Grant? He seems pretty comfortable at the Wests Tigers, he’s contributed to that team and have won a few games.​
“But my advice to any young kid is, go to a club that is going to make you better than you think you can be.​
“Through my career, the example that I have been a part of is good coaches, good clubs, good players can make you achieve greater things than you thought possible.”​
Weighing heavily against the Tigers is the fact they haven’t played finals football since 2011. While in that time the Storm have won two premierships and three minor premierships, having not missed September football since 2010 when they played for no competition points as part of a salary cap penalty.​
Grant has been a standout in the No.9 jumper for Michael Maguire’s side. He trails Dally M leader Taumalolo (11 points) by just one point after playing just five games.​
The 22-year old’s impressive performances have left Tigers fans hoping that Melbourne skipper Smith plays on beyond this season and urging their club to do whatever it takes to retain him.​
But even if Smith plays on, history may be against them.​

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
That's all well and good but if Cam goes around again next season, then he's not going to waste a year of his career in Q Cup or off the bench with Brandon Smith. Especially after playing a full season of FG at the Tigers.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That's all well and good but if Cam goes around again next season, then he's not going to waste a year of his career in Q Cup or off the bench with Brandon Smith. Especially after playing a full season of FG at the Tigers.
Read between the lines though bro, it's either he goes back to the Storm or he will be at the Wests Tigers. There's no other teams getting a look in.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Read between the lines though bro, it's either he goes back to the Storm or he will be at the Wests Tigers. There's no other teams getting a look in.
I'm reading into Cronk's comments that Cam is returning next season otherwise he wouldn't be bringing this up.

If that's the case, the Tigers for sure have the inside running. But considering the club missed an opportunity to sign him early last year, they'd be mad to not try and outbid the Tigers and solve our most pressing need.

At the end of the day I agree it's most likely he doesn't join us.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Cronk played all of his career at Melbourne under Bellamy, the glaring error in his advice is that Bellamy (according to Bellamy) won't be there after next year, so Grant won't have that. Plus he won't have Smith and Slater like Cronk did for all of his time in Melbourne. A bonus, I see it as a slap in the face for the Chooks, players, Robinson and the whole coaching staff. Plainly Cronk thinks that they aren't as good as the Melbourne equivalents, otherwise he would have slipped them in for a reference.

Go Dogs

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
On another tack, Grant is still behind BSmith even if CSmith retires this year. BSmith is only 24 so he is going to be roadblock for Grant for a long long time. Whether CSmith retires or not I don't see Grant returning to Melbourne to be the second string hooker.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
On another tack, Grant is still behind BSmith even if CSmith retires this year. BSmith is only 24 so he is going to be roadblock for Grant for a long long time. Whether CSmith retires or not I don't see Grant returning to Melbourne to be the second string hooker.

Go Dogs
They could always play Smith at lock and start Grant to try and keep both but I agree, they likely won't keep both B.Smith and Grant next season.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Which is why we need to need to sack Pay early and not fuck around till the end of the year when all the potential targets have been signed up.

Get a new coach and he can start recruiting and selling the vision to potential recruits for the next season. I remember Robbo travelling to France to meet up with SBW and other players like Sam Moa, etc.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Which is why we need to need to sack Pay early and not fuck around till the end of the year when all the potential targets have been signed up.

Get a new coach and he can start recruiting and selling the vision to potential recruits for the next season. I remember Robbo travelling to France to meet up with SBW and other players like Sam Moa, etc.
Bloody oath.!!!!

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
You can't keep having C.Smith, B.Smith and Grant at the same club. Something's gotta give.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Yet another example of why the strong clubs stay strong, and the others continue to struggle.

Cooper is such a bullshit artist though, as if he would have only been a 100 game player at some other club. Bellend is just trying to help Melbourne.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
c.smith will go to 7 next year and harry will be the starting 9 if smith retires no way grant stays at the tigers

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
While it is decent advice to say choose a club that will take you to greater heights, it's a bit of a see through attempt to get in Grants head and influence him to return to the Storm.

But the thing is that football can be a terribly cruel career at times. One injury can end it whether you are 19 or 39. So if returning to the storm means Grant drops back to being a lower grade player, it's poor advice from Cronk. You can't fit three hookers into the one team line up. So either Grant or B Smith will need to move on if C Smith goes round again.

Malla

Reaction score
Harry Grant will definitely be at the Storm next year.

Brandon Smith might be the sacrificial lamb, but then again he's been playing in the forwards this year so he might switch over. The rich get richer.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
One thing we have to remember is it's not just the dogs, tigers and storm after a good hooker. There's at least 6 other clubs that could enter the picture at any moment and bid for him.

Given that we have tried before it is why we have to go hard next time we bid for him.

I am thinking a 1.2mil deal over 4 years.

Last edited: