Official Cook scores a $4m payday to stay at Souths for 5 years

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cook chasing a $4m payday to stay at Souths

South Sydney are in danger of losing Damien Cook after the superstar hooker opted to test his value on the open market.

Cook headlines a list of marquee names that are able to talk with clubs from November 1, including Valentine Holmes, Luke Brooks, Cooper Cronk, Shaun Johnson, Tariq Sims, Dylan Napa, Clint Gutherson, Corey Norman and Dylan Walker. Rival clubs can now begin approaching them about the 2020 season as attention shifts from the coaching transfer market to that of the players.

Wrestling with his options: Rabbitohs hooker Damien Cook will test his worth on the open market.
Wrestling with his options: Rabbitohs hooker Damien Cook will test his worth on the open market.AAP

Cook’s management has been in negotiations with Souths about the prospect of a four-year extension. Given Cook is already contracted until the end of 2019, such a deal would effectively keep the NSW and Australian No.9 at Redfern for five years, until the end of 2023.

It is believed the 27-year-old is seeking about $4 million over the next five years to remain a Rabbitoh, taking into account that he is on a modest salary for next season, given his status as a representative star.

However, the parties have yet to reach an agreement, despite months of negotiations, leaving Cook free to gauge the level of interest elsewhere. There is likely to be no shortage of suitors after a breakout season in which he was a standout for NSW, earned Dally M hooker of the year honours and replaced Cameron Smith as the Kangaroos dummy half.

“With the coaching merry-go-round just settling down, Damien is in no rush to make a decision,” said Cook’s manager, Mario Tartak.

“We’re in dialogue with Souths, but nothing has been finalised. There aren’t many quality hookers on the open market and we’re already aware of considerable interest in him.

“He is really enjoying his time at South Sydney, but we’ll also see what other options there are for him.”

rissolerob

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Hey Cookie .. you have played for the Dogs so just tell them you have " persnal issues" and you can go where you like, when you like for more money.. no problem

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not normally someone who would support an ex player coming back, but I make an exception for Cook.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I get the feeling he does not want to play under the fossil

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That's a pretty big contract for him. I'd say it is probably a little bit over what he is worth but it seems like we are running into a shortage of top tier hookers in the NRL. This year had arguably the weakest quality across the competition for Hooker form I can remember in recent years. Cook struggled heavily in the back end of the season compared to his first half of the season. Don't know if it was fatigue, or teams starting to work him out, but he definitely seemed to have lost that edge. He was still really good but not great like he was up until just after Origin 3.

This year has been his only full season where he has been at a top level as well. He has struggled before this season. Cook should probably sign a contract now incase his form dips next year or he continues with his end of season form because he will be judged on that. I guess the issue with the Bennet-Siebold coach swap is what is stopping him from getting a contract sorted at the moment though.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'd love to see him back but considering we won't get him till 2020 it worries me that by the time he is in the 4th and 5th year of his contract that he would've decline rapidly considering his pace is a large component of his game.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very good player no doubt, he was ours for the taking..
price wise a little on the steep side and I doubt he will ever come back to the mighty blue an white jersey.. but stranger things have happened..!!

Malla

Reaction score
That's a pretty big contract for him. I'd say it is probably a little bit over what he is worth but it seems like we are running into a shortage of top tier hookers in the NRL. This year had arguably the weakest quality across the competition for Hooker form I can remember in recent years. Cook struggled heavily in the back end of the season compared to his first half of the season. Don't know if it was fatigue, or teams starting to work him out, but he definitely seemed to have lost that edge. He was still really good but not great like he was up until just after Origin 3.

This year has been his only full season where he has been at a top level as well. He has struggled before this season. Cook should probably sign a contract now incase his form dips next year or he continues with his end of season form because he will be judged on that. I guess the issue with the Bennet-Siebold coach swap is what is stopping him from getting a contract sorted at the moment though.
You got to remember that he is 28 years old so only has a few good seasons left at this level, hence why he is chasing that pay day because if he doesnt get it this contract then he will more than likely miss his window.

Wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in England.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
His manager has said there are 4 clubs after him, including Souths.
Brisbane is believed to be one, and he has confirmed the other 2 are Sydney based clubs.

Bet it's the fucking Roosters and Tigers.

Apparently one of the two Sydney clubs has made a very compelling offer.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Brisbane is believed to be one, and he has confirmed the other 2 are Sydney based clubs.

Its Tigers and Eels from what I've heard.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Another high-profile player going to the Broncos? Oh @K E... this thread is calling you bro :D