Controversial Refereeing Decisions that have cost a team a win

the12thman

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It is such a tough gig being a ref. No matter the decision they make one set of fans will be pissed off.

The problem is nearly all refs never played the game at NRL level and have no feel or understanding for the game.

The NRL should make being a ref a high paying job and only allow former players to do it.

If a player could get say 400k a year being a ref then they could attract top level players to do it.

Obviously they would need to get accredited and trained up but the essential base knowledge is already there.

Imagine Brett Morris as a ref. He would already have the respect of all players and knows the game inside and out.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It is such a tough gig being a ref. No matter the decision they make one set of fans will be pissed off.

The problem is nearly all refs never played the game at NRL level and have no feel or understanding for the game.

The NRL should make being a ref a high paying job and only allow former players to do it.

If a player could get say 400k a year being a ref then they could attract top level players to do it.

Obviously they would need to get accredited and trained up but the essential base knowledge is already there.

Imagine Brett Morris as a ref. He would already have the respect of all players and knows the game inside and out.
No chance for BMoz...any good ones get run out of the referee ranks ala Patten.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Only issue is some players from the age of 15 are taught to hate certain clubs at all costs so that we get our derbies. Then some clubs may also do what is percieved the wrong thing in various ways to a player, or they may hate a coach. Think many players would struggle to switch that emotion off and not let it cloud what they are looking for in certain teams.

Also referees need to be fairly fit and agile, so there's only a small window of time for players to learn to referee, get good at it and then stay fit enough to do it.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Nearly all the decisions they have made all year and years gone by have cost us games.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Plenty of NSW and Bulldogs games have been given to their opposition because of terrible refs. Not surprisingly the usual suspects are involved in both, Sutton and Cummins.

Motorhead

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
2 x Tipping Champ
Reaction score

No thanks to Brett Morris as a ref. The ref ranks are already overflowing with Rooster sympathisers. Don't need more.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Could type in subject heading in youtube if interested.

Cowboys copped some bad ones.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
While I have been very critical of Cummins and both Sutton brothers, I can say with certainty that it is not an easy job.

I got my ticket aged 16 in 1970 and refereed until 1992 with 18 months out of the game in the early 80's when I worked in London.

While I agree there could be a degree of hate for certain clubs by certain referees it is possible for ref's and players to lose respect for each other as a result of controversial incidents. That seems to be what happened with Sutton who has the whistle at our game on Monday where it is highly probable we will lose our 19th consecutive game under his stewardship since 2016.

I refereed in the now defunct West's Ashfield competition. In the mid 80's I was in charge of an elimination semi final in A grade. There was one point the difference with time nearly up. I was well aware that The side who were behind were setting up for a field goal attempt. I saw the ball go over to tie the game looked around to see the kicker flat on his back and both touch judges coming onto the field. They reported to me that the kicker had been elbowed in the head and as he had blood pouring out of his nose I saw no reason to think otherwise. They both recommended a send off which I agreed to and I then awarded a penalty 10 metres out right in front using the 3 point field goal rule.

The goal was kicked the bell rang before we got back to half way and it changed the result from a one point win to a 2 point loss.

Whenever I refereed that team after that they wanted to dispute any decision that went against them. Before that there was very little trouble.

Fell out to such an extent they demanded that I was never to be allocated any of their games ever again. Their demand went nowhere

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
While I have been very critical of Cummins and both Sutton brothers, I can say with certainty that it is not an easy job.

I got my ticket aged 16 in 1970 and refereed until 1992 with 18 months out of the game in the early 80's when I worked in London.

While I agree there could be a degree of hate for certain clubs by certain referees it is possible for ref's and players to lose respect for each other as a result of controversial incidents. That seems to be what happened with Sutton who has the whistle at our game on Monday where it is highly probable we will lose our 19th consecutive game under his stewardship since 2016.

I refereed in the now defunct West's Ashfield competition. In the mid 80's I was in charge of an elimination semi final in A grade. There was one point the difference with time nearly up. I was well aware that The side who were behind were setting up for a field goal attempt. I saw the ball go over to tie the game looked around to see the kicker flat on his back and both touch judges coming onto the field. They reported to me that the kicker had been elbowed in the head and as he had blood pouring out of his nose I saw no reason to think otherwise. They both recommended a send off which I agreed to and I then awarded a penalty 10 metres out right in front using the 3 point field goal rule.

The goal was kicked the bell rang before we got back to half way and it changed the result from a one point win to a 2 point loss.

Whenever I refereed that team after that they wanted to dispute any decision that went against them. Before that there was very little trouble.

Fell out to such an extent they demanded that I was never to be allocated any if their games ever again. Their demand went nowhere
Do you think the CB Bulldogs need to conduct a super dooper recruitment program to increase the number of referees who might be fair and at least not ref in a bias manner against us?

How can the public find out where the districts the current crop of refs come from?

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you think the CB Bulldogs need to conduct a super dooper recruitment program to increase the number of referees who might be fair and at least not ref in a bias manner against us?

How can the public find out where the districts the current crop of refs come from?
One upon a time when a referee graduated to junior rep comps such as SG Ball or Jersey Flegg as I did, the district the ref and touch judges came from was printed in the free programme you received at the gate

As I refereed in the Western Suburbs comp I was not allowed to referee the Magpies but was OK to do any other team including the Bulldogs. I only did a Dogs game once. Once a referee gets to 3rd grade or under 23's as it was then, there is no way of knowing where a referee initially came from.