Constructive criticism

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In last 2 games we’ve lost the game after 20 minutes . What does that tell you ?

Lack of Fitness ?
Bad Rotation ?
Squad depth ?
Players out of position ?
Bad coaching ?

IMO , all of the above ..

How to fix it I have no idea but the sooner we realise it’s a wooden spoon yr the quicker we can build a platform moving forward

I honestly don’t think the squad is as bad as the results have shown but time is now to pick our strongest 17 and then figure out the positions which best suit which I think involves hoppa and Lewis in centres with cogger and meany into starting line up

Jackson has to be shifted to lock , no skills what so ever and has lost a bit of sharpness , CHN has to start and either Elliot or Martin on other edge

It’s a sad time to be following this club and I’m not really sure how much blame can be attributed to coaching staff but they have been restricted with money they can spend on players . We are still paying part of Graham’s salary for Christ sake and I hope and prey the club has sacrificed this yr for much better seasons

If history tells us anything we are not on the bottom for too long but I honestly think a season like this was inevitable after dib/Hasler disaster reign

silva

Utility
Reaction score
We just need some quality outside backs. I mean some gun players out wide.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Inexperience, it's that simple imo... Besides a few players, there is not a lot of FG experience in this team... We can drop/switch all the players we like for next week, but it's not going to change much

LoneWolf

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Inexperience, it's that simple imo... Besides a few players, there is not a lot of FG experience in this team... We can drop all the players we like for next week, but it's not going to change much
If we had a young team I’d understand ..

But who’s the inexperienced ? Lewis and Remis ? They are our 2 best prospects and we’ve stuffed up remis by playing an inexperienced talentless centre next to him and Lewis really has not been given the platform

The rest are very experienced and are just way off first grade standard atm

DroidDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Agreed....People calling to replace Pay. With who??? We have been shedding players to get under the cap! How hard is that to fucking understand!!!

Pay has picked who he thinks is our strongest 17, that's what Bellamy would do to right. Dont give that shit Bellamy would make average players great.
Maybe he can, but can he do it in the same amount of time Pay has been in control and under the same circumstances? I don't believe any of the
top coaches have been through what we have been through in that last few years so they are untested and measured only in an ideal situation!!!

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agreed....People calling to replace Pay. With who??? We have been shedding players to get under the cap! How hard is that to fucking understand!!!

Pay has picked who he thinks is our strongest 17, that's what Bellamy would do to right. Dont give that shit Bellamy would make average players great.
Maybe he can, but can he do it in the same amount of time Pay has been in control and under the same circumstances? I don't believe any of the
top coaches have been through what we have been through in that last few years so they are untested and measured only in an ideal situation!!!
Yes I believe bellyache would..he would work more magic with this team.. he has great credentials and his record speaks for itself !! Love him or hate him.. it’s clear to see.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s no surprise we are where we are. We will be down the bottom as spoon favourites 2019, 2020 with our Cap mess. Dig in and get used to it people.

2021 might be a slight improvement but 2022 will be the next season we can realistically challenge for anything.

We need to use our full 30 man roster and see who we have got. We need to clean out anyone who doesn’t measure up.

We have the youngest team in the competition. Give the kids a chance blood them and see how they go.

We need to suffer and slowly build with 2021-2022 in mind. The next couple of years will be painful to watch. Hopefully a couple of youngsters can step up and give us some hope.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its all on Pay.. coaching aside he wanted to build a squad and he let the experienced players go and is stuck with a bunch of kids and fringe first graders..

DroidDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Its all on Pay.. coaching aside he wanted to build a squad and he let the experienced players go and is stuck with a bunch of kids and fringe first graders..
Did Pay let those players go or did they want to go/need to go?

BMOC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we please stop with the Lewis to centre idea. He needs to continue to develop as a halfback. He was actually much better today. The only way the club can move forward as a club is by Lewis remaining in the halves.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It’s no surprise we are where we are. We will be down the bottom as spoon favourites 2019, 2020 with our Cap mess. Dig in and get used to it people.

2021 might be a slight improvement but 2022 will be the next season we can realistically challenge for anything.

We need to use our full 30 man roster and see who we have got. We need to clean out anyone who doesn’t measure up.

We have the youngest team in the competition. Give the kids a chance blood them and see how they go.

We need to suffer and slowly build with 2021-2022 in mind. The next couple of years will be painful to watch. Hopefully a couple of youngsters can step up and give us some hope.
Stop making sense. We had to suffer threw the destitute years now this. Will it ever end.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can we please stop with the Lewis to centre idea. He needs to continue to develop as a halfback. He was actually much better today. The only way the club can move forward as a club is by Lewis remaining in the halves.
The halves will continue to struggle no matter who is there while the pack fails to give them a platform to work off.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Up until the whole team rolled over I actually thought Foran and Lewis were going great. Napa I was very disappointed in, he is suppose to be the line bender and shock trooper. Hoppa's hands are great. JJ has played successive bad games, hard to watch. Sue, your kidding me is he really that shite? I actually thought Crichton showed promise. From memory (and I want to forget) I think the rest were shite.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
Harry Harris is absolutely shocking, can’t believe pay brought him back to the club. Has to be the worst trainer in the nrl!!!

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
I was hoping that our team would discover unity, chemistry and just click into a competitive team. But the reality is, our club and team have been subjected to more setbacks, disruptions and limited resources, I was in la la land hoping we could compete. So now we can see, we need to build NRL experience. I hope the team find patience and maintain confidence as they meet teams with better players.

Des has caused more damage to our Club than anyone I have ever witnessed for almost 40 years. Backending contracts has decimated our team, ripping our most spirited players out of the side and destroying morale.

I was hoping we could bounce back like we did in 2009, but it does not appear to me. All I can hope for is in each game, we get a little better until we start to click and become a formidable team again.

2019 sucks!

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was hoping that our team would discover unity, chemistry and just click into a competitive team. But the reality is, our club and team have been subjected to more setbacks, disruptions and limited resources, I was in la la land hoping we could compete. So now we can see, we need to build NRL experience. I hope the team find patience and maintain confidence as they meet teams with better players.

Des has caused more damage to our Club than anyone I have ever witnessed for almost 40 years. Backending contracts has decimated our team, ripping our most spirited players out of the side and destroying morale.

I was hoping we could bounce back like we did in 2009, but it does not appear to me. All I can hope for is in each game, we get a little better until we start to click and become a formidable team again.

2019 sucks!
We bounced back in 2009 on the back of tremendous recruitment.. Hannant Stagg Ennis JMoz Kimmorley..

Bring in Mullholland..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't see game 1 but to my way of thinking a lack of defensive structure cost us this game. The interception tries didn't help, and Parra got on the board following a bullshit penalty where they knocked on but we copped a penalty.

But we have a number of players that don't seem to understand defensive structure. You create huge gaps if one player is doing their own thing in defence. We had multiple players rushing to put hits on. It's ok if they succeed, but if not it's just leaving gaps to exploit.

As people pointed out prior to the season our backline overall is a n excercise in budgeting. Can't help it given our cap drama. But I'm not impressed with them defensively so far. They're struggling to contain the size of the opposite players.

JMK looks better than Lichaa at least with ball service. Defensively Lichaa probably is a bit better. But in saying that, Lichaa came on very late so had fresh legs when the game was out of touch. He still looks like he picks up the ball, stands up takes two steps then decides who to pass to.

This year was always going to be about making do with a roster assembled on a budget. We couldn't bring in the talent we'd like. So even some of the youngsters like Chrighton are gambles. Then where we picked up guys like Sue with experience, Sue in particular has always had the physicality needed, but is error prone and has a fondness for big shots which can be good, but can also cause a broken defensive line.

At the end of the day this year has to be about finding who can make a difference in years to come. We will get better as the year goes on. But we do need to keep in mind that this roster has an element of transition. When the cash is available for better backs, a hooker etc the fringe players that don't take the chances they're getting now will be moved on. Hopefully we see a decent number of players stake a claim for their futures by showing improvement.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If we had a young team I’d understand ..

But who’s the inexperienced ? Lewis and Remis ? They are our 2 best prospects and we’ve stuffed up remis by playing an inexperienced talentless centre next to him and Lewis really has not been given the platform

The rest are very experienced and are just way off first grade standard atm
We are the most inexperienced team in the comp... Maybe not all rookies or whatever, but not much game time at the top level across the park, and it shows, and then you throw in the fact that many of these guys haven't played together before

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Started off OK by all accounts, running up a 10-0 lead. Definitely positive seeing that, and felt that the boys had turned the bad attitude from Round 1 around which was wonderful.

However the 30 odd unanswered points put on us after that is actually a lot more worrying than last week. People can talk about defensive patterns, bad coaching, lackign decent players. Whatever you like. My main concern isn't that.

For a team to have 70+ points put on them in the opening 2 games to me demonstrates a distinct lack of character, grit, and leadership within the playing group. All the talk preseason was about turning to the Dogs of old. We connected to club heroes, got the Hughes family back on board etc. which was seen as a step back to who we were.

The last two games have shown very very very little of the 'Bulldogs of Old' which is concerning as f*ck. I'm not going to judge Pay right now, have always said I'd give him 6 games in before I question him outright. However, it seems clear that there are some players who aren't pulling their weight. They need to be put into ressies. It's time to make a few changes.

If Pay goes into the next roung without changing the teams then I will talk up more about him as a coach. I hope I don't have to do that though.

For me the players have to stand up now and be counted.