Consolidated Leagues Club Board Election Thread (Coorey Chairman P29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anderson, football club cling to leagues club control

Canterbury have narrowly avoided descending into boardroom chaos as the Bulldogs' newly elected football club board clung to its majority of the powerful leagues club directorship on Monday.

George Peponis and Steve Mortimer snapped up two of the three vacant positions on the wealthy Canterbury League Club board, but the elevation of George Coorey, who ran on a ticket endorsed by the football club directors, ensured they scrambled to power after a bitter weekend election.

Bulldogs chairperson Lynne Anderson's four appointees were facing the prospect of losing their majority under an expanded nine-person Canterbury League Club committee, pushed through under a constitutional change just days before the election.

The Canterbury League Club board added former NSW premier Morris Iemma and UBS investment banker George Kanaan as independents last week, a tactic designed to dilute the power of the football club appointees who were to have four of the seven seats.

But under a nine-person directorship the football club needed one of its endorsed candidates – which included former Bulldogs chief executive Gary McIntyre, painted as the architect of the club's salary-cap scandal – to win at least one of the empty seats up for grabs on the Canterbury League Club board.

It came up with just that as George Coorey ironically edged out brother Arthur, who ran on the Peponis-Mortimer ticket, for the final spot, giving the football club bosses the balance of power at the Canterbury League Club board table.

"A lot of water has flowed under the bridge and a lot has been said and done, but it's time for peace," George Coorey told Fairfax Media. "We will move forward as a club and we will return this club to being the No.1 rugby league club in the world."

Anderson slammed the addition of Iemma and Kanaan to the leagues club directorship as a "betrayal" of the football club over the weekend, but Peponis hit back shortly after guaranteeing the NRL side's purse strings would not be affected.

Peponis' future at the family club, which has been fractured and wrought with factionalism in recent months, remains under a cloud. He will almost certainly be forced to relinquish the Canterbury League Club chairmanship at a meeting next week after Wednesday night's AGM.

The tension between rival camps reached boiling point over the weekend when Fairfax Media revealed McIntyre and former Bulldogs boss Ray Dib, who had the backing of Peponis when turfed from power by Anderson's Reform ticket last month, needed to be separated by security after a raging argument during voting inside Canterbury League Club on Saturday.

Stunned onlookers feared the pair were about to come to blows before being pulled apart.

The Bulldogs' backroom brawling has been punctuated by a sluggish start on the field under new coach Dean Pay, going down to premiership heavyweights the Storm and Roosters in the opening two rounds of the season.

They'll search for their first win of 2018 against the unbeaten Panthers on Friday night.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/an...-to-leagues-club-control-20180319-p4z549.html

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the million dollar question. He's served a long time with Peponis and Steve Mortimer, and pretty certain the Coorey's have strong political ties to the ALP (which would possibly include Iemma).

Based on that you would think he'd side with Peponis/Mortimer/Iemma/Kanaan/GCoorey and form a majority.

Interesting times ahead because he has the balance of power.

It's a smart move. It means regardless who got in, there is still 100% accountability for anyones actions.

So ask yourself why they were so pissed off and vocal about Iemma and Kanaan's appointment? Because they know that regardless of having a majority, if there were any agendas at play, or favours in the pipeline, they are now muted because Iemma / Kanaan will pick up on them.

In addition to this, the only way either can be removed before their term is getting member votes to hold an EGM, and even then there would need to be a vote of no confidence by the members against those 2 candidates, citing why there is no confidence. The danger in this is that they could very easily swing the same voters, and vote no confidence towards any of the 4 endorsed by Football club.

If the Football Club Board were smart, they'd ask anyone they endorsed with a shady history to step down quietly. That would prevent a potential backlash.

The more embers you leave sitting around, the more chance you have of starting a fire.
George Coorey is aligned with Anderson so there’s no majority for Peponis. The Football Club has the majority and control which is exactly how it should be. Iemma and Kanaan won’t be on that board long and things will return to normal.

Wokball

Waterboy
Reaction score
What a slimey head that Dibbie has.

You wouldnt trust him with a bargepole
It doesn't look like the most trustworthy image does it juicydog ?
Well I believe we need Saintly figures like Gary McIntyre at the club reinventing themselves.

N

Natboy

“The tension between rival camps reached boiling point over the weekend when Fairfax Media revealed McIntyre and former Bulldogs boss Ray Dib, who had the backing of Peponis when turfed from power by Anderson's Reform ticket last month, needed to be separated by security after a raging argument during voting inside Canterbury League Club on Saturday.

Stunned onlookers feared the pair were about to come to blows before being pulled apart.”

Hahaha I can just picture Dib saying, “hold me back bro” and the security saying, “It’s not worth it man”.

What a circus but thankfully it’s over, the current board regain control & it’s good to see Turvey & Peponis there.
Now can’t we all just get along?

Wokball

Waterboy
Reaction score
@Mr Invisible can you please dig up some information in regards to the development at the Leagues Club which is being carried out by Parkview.

Lets just say i know a mate of a mate of a mate who is a well respected developer and estimator and I am curious as to where the funds (from leagues club to parkview) have been channeled out to? Insurance costs are a bomb.

Oh i forgot to mention my mate of a mate of a mate has a cousin whose uncle is a member of the Canterbury-Bankstown Council as well as another son of a uncle from Auburn Council.
Are either of you gentlemen aware of what financial windfall certain individuals would've received had the Bulldogs Oasis project come to fruition ?
Let's not throw stones regarding jobs for families etc
Maybe you fellas should dig up some articles regarding the public inquiry which happened post 2002.

They make Salim look worthy of a halo

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“The tension between rival camps reached boiling point over the weekend when Fairfax Media revealed McIntyre and former Bulldogs boss Ray Dib, who had the backing of Peponis when turfed from power by Anderson's Reform ticket last month, needed to be separated by security after a raging argument during voting inside Canterbury League Club on Saturday.

Stunned onlookers feared the pair were about to come to blows before being pulled apart.”

Hahaha I can just picture Dib saying, “hold me back bro” and the security saying, “It’s not worth it man”.

What a circus but thankfully it’s over, the current board regain control & it’s good to see Turvey & Peponis there.
I feel this is the best outcome we could have hoped for. Football club have maintained control of the grant, and we still have Turvey on both Boards, even Peponis will remain on the board. I am also ok for Iemma and kannan to maintain a presence.

Would have been filthy if Dib got up, and his faction controlled the club's grant.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
You have no clue. Both sides are playing dirty politics. Anderson isn't trying to run everyone out. Dib and Peponis have been conniving in what they did in trying to change the constitution to save their own buts. Why change the leagues club structure thats been in place for many years some 48 hours before the vote? Did they do it for the love of the club or out of spite?
Just to be clear - no-one has changed the constitution. This is a legislative change that has been brought in by the government and applies to all registered clubs in NSW. It was only brought in last year. Has Peponis et al taken advantage of it in the hope of shoring up his position? Yes of course, but it is an option available to every club in the State not just the Dogs. Maybe we are the first to do it, maybe we are the 500th. I don't know but it is equally available to whoever runs the Board.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Just to be clear - no-one has changed the constitution. This is a legislative change that has been brought in by the government and applies to all registered clubs in NSW. It was only brought in last year. Has Peponis et al taken advantage of it in the hope of shoring up his position? Yes of course, but it is an option available to every club in the State not just the Dogs. Maybe we are the first to do it, maybe we are the 500th. I don't know but it is equally available to whoever runs the Board.
Its subverting the original intention of our club's constitution for the sole benefit of the sore loser incumbents and a totally undemocratic twisting of a State law that has nothing to do with the good governance of the Leagues Club which has operated very successfully in our past.

The Peponis/Dib faction can have their glory days in power and run again in the next elections if the members so choose.

Until then they should go about their business and leave the democratically elected Board to do theres. If the new Board stuff up as badly as the Dib Board then they will be voted out as well.

Lets get back to the footy now that the members have spoken because they/we want a new plan.

ouwet

Bulldogs 4 Life
Reaction score
Great result! Anyone who thinks it would've been ok for the Football club to lose power are off there minds!

This Judas like and quiet frankly childish behavior from Peponis won't be forgotten!
The quicker this guy is out of the club completely the better!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Great result! Anyone who thinks it would've been ok for the Football club to lose power are off there minds!

This Judas like and quiet frankly childish behavior from Peponis won't be forgotten!
You have to be kidding.
He is a legend of the club, premiership captain & Australian captain.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
George Coorey is aligned with Anderson so there’s no majority for Peponis. The Football Club has the majority and control which is exactly how it should be. Iemma and Kanaan won’t be on that board long and things will return to normal.
How ridiculous.
You think the members will have a EGM to vote off two such high profile people who have been appointed as independent directors without due cause.
That is a short way to having the board sacked by the NSW Government and an administrator appointed.
With those two on the board certain people might think twice about appointing business associates to the board who do not deserve to sit at the same table.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
I wouldn't be bagging anyone. Time to heal. You can only be questioning their motivations. Everyone has their own opinions on why this happened, who they think is in the right and wrong. I believe Dr G as our Leagues Club Chairman was wrong and biased to handle himself this way but he did it for some reason. Still.. the members voted the way they did...that should have been the end of the matter in a democracy. George tried to gerrymander the consequences of the Football Club members vote which as, a natural progression, gives the majority to the Football Club stakeholders 4 out of 7 directors.

Imagine the outrage if Anderson had tried something so underhand.

Our Chairman should have thought this through. What now if Anderson appoints 2 more directors of her own... do we have 11?

Our Football and Leagues Club constitutions are different to stock standard companies and 7 has worked ok...we want people who love the club..not outsider business people/ex politicians to make Bulldogs decisions. These 2 new guys would not probably be independent ...you would think that they would be beholden to whoever appointed them.

Dr G attempted to shift the accepted balance of power from the Football Club to himself. We could have Chairmen from now on keep appointing more and more Directors just so they can keep their advantage and never have to face the will of the members. This scenario I threw up now is far fetched but who would have thought George would have done this highly questionable tactic in the first place. One wonders how he will operate within the Leagues Board now. Turvey will still be his loyal dependable self putting the workable functioning of the Club first but how will Dr G? So concerning to see our club heroes, mentors and high achievers not working together.

DogzPride

Waterboy
Reaction score

Mate I think I just pissed my pants "Hold me back Bro" :tearsofjoy: Now lets get on with the footy & get a win up against the Panthers

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A very toxic relationship... can’t be good for either

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after all Peponis’ efforts the football club managed to get someone voted on the board? How shit would he be feeling right now?

Last edited by a moderator:

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I wouldn't be bagging anyone. Time to heal. You can only be questioning their motivations. Everyone has their own opinions on why this happened, who they think is in the right and wrong. I believe Dr G as our Leagues Club Chairman was wrong and biased to handle himself this way but he did it for some reason. Still.. the members voted the way they did...that should have been the end of the matter in a democracy. George tried to gerrymander the consequences of the Football Club members vote which as, a natural progression, gives the majority to the Football Club stakeholders 4 out of 7 directors.

Imagine the outrage if Anderson had tried something so underhand.

Our Chairman should have thought this through. What now if Anderson appoints 2 more directors of her own... do we have 11?

Our Football and Leagues Club constitutions are different to stock standard companies and 7 has worked ok...we want people who love the club..not outsider business people/ex politicians to make Bulldogs decisions. These 2 new guys would not probably be independent ...you would think that they would be beholden to whoever appointed them.

Dr G attempted to shift the accepted balance of power from the Football Club to himself. We could have Chairmen from now on keep appointing more and more Directors just so they can keep their advantage and never have to face the will of the members. This scenario I threw up now is far fetched but who would have thought George would have done this highly questionable tactic in the first place. One wonders how he will operate within the Leagues Board now. Turvey will still be his loyal dependable self putting the workable functioning of the Club first but how will Dr G? So concerning to see our club heroes, mentors and high achievers not working together.
There was nothing subversive about the appointments.Forget about anything else if Iemma and Kanaan were available for appointment to the Board the club would be crazy not to invite them on. One is a political powerbroker, the other the CEO of a huge finance organisation - happy days. That they may have more of an alliance with the existing chairman than potentially with others is an issue, but not a major one. Neither of these blokes are going to damage their reputation by making decisions that will bring either the leagues or footy club down - not for a few grand a year. And just for the record my golf club has had to go through exactly the same thing - reducing its board from 12 to 7 to comply with the legislation and we have the capacity to appoint 2 expert practitioners to those 7 to improve governance and decision-making. I just wish we had blokes of these two's calibre volunteering to do it.

One final thought. Everyone seems pretty sure that Peponis won't be re-elected chair because Coorey is aligned to Anderson. When I was there voting last week the two Coorey brothers and Peponis were having coffee together in the coffee shop. No matter who the chair is, the good news is that the club will continue to develop and the footy club will still be secure. Unlike Dragons, Tigers and Manly to name a few.

A

Alexander the Great

Lol at you comparing Dr G to Judas..oh my !!

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
You have to be kidding.
He is a legend of the club, premiership captain & Australian captain.
As Graham said. Our leagues club was number 1 now we are number 4 under this club legend. Power plays for self benefit.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry mate you've got it wrong. Peponis relies on a 2017 audit/review report which recommended change at board level.
Peponis would have known about the changes to the Registered Clubs Act (which is a consolidated Act and LAW). He chose to enact Section 30 of that act, which has a deemed / implied rule that directors can appoint 2 additional spots to the board up to a maximum of 9.

Not to mention Clayton UTZ (the clubs legal eagles) would have been consulted for sure on it.

Maybe the audit report recommended "in the event of potential board instability, this is recommended".

The only reason others went off about it being illegal, is because they had the shits over the appointment. 2 minutes on Google would have prevented them looking (yet again) unprofessional in that press release.

With Iemma and Kanaan they wouldn't have had a majority, surely you understand that?
Why then do Peponis and Dib effect the change in 2018 and 48 hours before the vote? You cant sugar coat it. It was done to save their own hides and to protect their prviliged lives. I don't care who they brought in. It was conniving.
It's not about the majority, it's about safeguarding the Leagues Clubs financials and assets by having accountability.

With Iemma and Kanaan in place everyone can be held accountable for any dollar spent, or decision made.

Effectively Iemma and Kanaan are supervising what the board of directors are now doing.

It SHOULDN'T mean anything, but the fact some got so up in arms about it should be a genuine concern to anyone that cares deeply about the club.

Why is EGM needed to remove two independents when they were appointed at a normal board meeting?
Directors appointed to the board by directors (not voted in), to expand the board to a maximum of 9, can only be removed by the clubs members, and only after a vote of no confidence is pushed forth by the members.

Iemma and Kanaan won’t be on that board long and things will return to normal.
They won't be removed, because if they are it'll look dodgy as fuck for the current board "If you don't have anything to hide, why remove them".

Members would first have to call an EGM for a vote of no confidence, and a reason has to be given.

You can't just state:
"we want to call a vote of no confidence because we don't like them"; or
"we didn't vote them in"

There needs to be a valid reason (with proof) that there is no confidence in those elected, before a motion can be pushed forth.

If the directors are removed without showing proof of "no confidence", then they can launch legal action against the board for reinstatement.

Other thing worth noting is that there could be a push in the opposite direction then (Football Club members voting no confidence against the FC board/members). Given the endorsement/appointment choices and some of that playing out in the media, it could well be suitable grounds for a no confidence vote.

Maximum of 9 can be appointed to any board.

Status
Not open for further replies.