Consolidated Leagues Club Board Election Thread (Coorey Chairman P29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It's a classic power struggle. There are strong rumours that it will become legislation this year (via OGLR) that all Registered Clubs will require 2 independently appointed directors to their board. If they already have 9 directors (max), two will be asked to stand aside for them. If they have 7, then the two can be appointed without issue.

If the two Directors are appointed by the Board, how would they be considered independent?
I think by "independent" they mean "having no prior links to the club, or dealings with anyone at the club" (e.g haven't been on board associated with club before, or haven't sat on a board with those directors before).

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lynne Anderson and George Peponis declare Canterbury peace

Canterbury chairwoman Lynne Anderson only returned from Korea on Tuesday but within hours of touching down in Sydney, she held peace talks with leagues club chairman George Peponis designed to end the bitter infighting and rancour plaguing the Bulldogs over the past month.

Anderson, who has spent the past fortnight at the Winter Paralympics in her role as Australian Paralympic Committee chief executive, walked out of the meeting with Peponis confident the club would be able to move forward free from acrimony.

Peponis also insisted he was confident the club’s key officials would be able to work together harmoniously, although the peace accord between two of the club’s most powerful figures is likely to be tested as early as today when the leagues club board meets to appoint a new chair.

Given the football club has the numbers on the leagues club board, Peponis will not be reappointed to the role. George Coorey is the latest tip to take over as chairman at the cash-rich leagues club, with lawyer Peter Callaghan likely to be his deputy.

Regardless, Anderson believes the club’s key figures have found a way to work together for the benefit of the football side and the supporters. “We both sat down and at the heart of it all we are Canterbury people,” Anderson said.

“Everyone from the incoming leagues club board, the current football club board — we all agree we are here to look after the Bulldogs football club and the fans.

“The fans deserve better headlines than they have been getting. I am confident everyone has the best intentions to move forward together.”

The fans have had to endure weeks of negative headlines surrounding the football club elections and the subsequent leagues club elections. Anderson’s ticket swept to power at the football club, taking control from deposed chairman Ray Dib.

They then retained control of the leagues club despite two independents being placed on the board at the 11th hour, taking the total number of directors to nine. The football club already had four automatic directors on the leagues club board but required another to ensure they retained a majority and control of the purse strings — the leagues club props up the football club with multimillion-dollar grants each year.

Anderson had threatened to take legal action against the appointment of the two independents — former NSW premier Morris Iemma and the managing director of UBS investment bankers, George Kanaan.

However, Coorey’s ascent to the leagues club board meant the football club retained a majority and cut off the need for legal action, although the elections were not without controversy.

The Office of Liquor and Gaming confirmed it had contacted the leagues club earlier this week to make inquiries about the outcomes of the elections. Following those inquiries, James Marroun was elected but immediately resigned.

“Registered clubs such as Canterbury-Bankstown Leagues Club are large and complex businesses, and it’s vital that members and the wider public have confidence that board members have high standards of integrity,” OLGA said in a statement.

Despite the dramas, Peponis and Anderson would appear to be on the same page.

“Lynne and I have met and we know we have to put what happened behind us and move forward,” Peponis said.

“As I said at the AGM, we have to move forward harmoniously and collaboratively for both clubs to be successful.”

Asked whether the club’s key figures could work together given all the bad blood, Peponis said: “I sincerely hope so. It needs be. It was agreed that we were all going to come on board and try to work it out. For both clubs’ sakes.

“They are two separate organisations, theoretically two separate boards. Every member on the leagues club board has a fiduciary duty to that organisation.

“We’ll be there as a check and balance to make sure good governance prevails. That is what directors are there for.”

That will be music to the ears of not only supporters, but also Bulldogs coach Dean Pay, who has been forced to prepare the side for the opening two rounds surrounded by tumult in the club’s upper echelons.

The Bulldogs have started the year by losing to two of the premiership’s heavy hitters, Melbourne and the Sydney Roosters.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...e/news-story/d9aa6d852b983029158767c9f84934bb

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/coorey-top-dog-at-canterbury-league-club-20180322-p4z5lg.html

Coorey top dog at Canterbury League Club

George Coorey has been appointed the new boss of the Canterbury League Club as the warring factions at Belmore pledge to put their differences behind them.

Coorey tipped out his brother and longtime Bulldogs powerbroker Arthur for the final of three vacant positions at last weekend's hostile Canterbury League Club elections, helping the football club directorship cling to a majority at the top table of the leagues club.

Coorey will replace NSW Rugby League boss George Peponis as Canterbury League Club chairman. Peter Callaghan will serve as his deputy.

Peponis and Bulldogs legend Steve Mortimer safely won re-election to the Canterbury League Club board, but needed Arthur Coorey, who ran on their ticket, to also poll in the top three to seize power from Lynne Anderson's football club directors.

Peponis added two independents, former NSW premier Morris Iemma and UBS investment banker George Kanaan, to the Canterbury League Club board at the 11th hour before last weekend's elections.

It was a tactic designed to dilute the power of the football club board, which was guaranteed four appointees on a seven-person board before it was expanded to nine.

But George Coorey's campaign proved enough to be re-elected and having aligned himself with the football club powerbrokers, he will now assume the chairmanship of Canterbury League Club after a meeting on Friday afternoon.

Controversial Canterbury League Club board appointee James Marroun fell on his sword despite being one of four football club appointees last week after it was revealed he is a former bankrupt who is currently serving a suspension from any involvement in junior rugby league.

Menteek

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So in simple terms, this is going to be the beginning of more drama now?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
It should be the end of it now there’s no more elections for 2 years and the Football Club has the majority so it should be the last we hear of it for a while.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It should be the end of it now there’s no more elections for 2 years and the Football Club has the majority so it should be the last we hear of it for a while.
About time this is over.. Let's focus on the footy...

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Loving this bulldog DNA Lynn has brought in. It’s almost like dib was Saddam Hussein keeping all this bullshit hush hush and Lynn is America allowing this cancerous shit to spread. Can’t we just get a ruthless **** in there, after all that’s bulldog DNA being a ruthless fuck. Oh and male :p

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
One would hope so, although it's a fragile balance. All it takes is someone to try and pull rank and problems could result again.

Hopefully McIntyre drops any thoughts of legal action against the Leagues Club Board, and if the OLGR are satisfied with their review on all directors, AND if they don't try to remove Iemma and Kanaan, then I think stability should appear finally.

“We’ll be there as a check and balance to make sure good governance prevails. That is what directors are there for.”
Subtle dig there, and that's all many were worried about. That with complete control over 2 boards problems could occur and many would be powerless against it.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Subtle dig there, and that's all many were worried about. That with complete control over 2 boards problems could occur and many would be powerless against it.
You mean like Dib had and wasn’t a problem before now?

Hopefully Peponis does as he says and lays it to rest. At least until the next election we shouldn’t hear a word from him if he’s genuine about putting this all behind him and working for the good of the clubs. I can’t not see this happening all again at the next election though and that worries me.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You mean like Dib had and wasn’t a problem before now?

Hopefully Peponis does as he says and lays it to rest. At least until the next election we shouldn’t hear a word from him if he’s genuine about putting this all behind him and working for the good of the clubs. I can’t not see this happening all again at the next election though and that worries me.
Who knows... We shall just have to wait and see.

As long as everyone puts their agendas aside and concentrates on the club and betterment of the club, we should be fine.

But if peoples agendas start creeping in, problems will arise.

LFC Bulldogs

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Loving this bulldog DNA Lynn has brought in. It’s almost like dib was Saddam Hussein keeping all this bullshit hush hush and Lynn is America allowing this cancerous shit to spread. Can’t we just get a ruthless **** in there, after all that’s bulldog DNA being a ruthless fuck. Oh and male :p
You mean a Putin like leader who gets things done?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Steve Mortimer axed by Canterbury board in favour of disgraced junior trainer
PHIL ROTHFIELD, Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
March 15, 2018 6:05pm
Subscriber only

CLUB legend Steve Mortimer has been dumped from the Canterbury Bulldogs Leagues Club board in favour of a disgraced junior league trainer who is currently serving a six-year ban from the game for misconduct.

Property developer James Marroun refuses to discuss the circumstances of his rugby league exile but the Daily Telegraph can reveal he is prohibited from performing any role in junior football until 2020.

It seems the Bulldogs don’t have a role for Steve Mortimer.
When pressed on the ban, Marroun — who changed his name from Gabby James Marroun to James Gabby Marroun prior to the Leagues club appointment — admitted he was serving one of the longest bans in junior footy but added: “The suspension doesn’t stop me from running on any board.

“It’s unfortunate what happened but from my end it’s a non-event. I’ve been nominated because of my business ability.”

His appointment over Mortimer is seen as a betrayal of the club’s greatest player.

“I’m very disappointed,” Mortimer said, “but one thing I learnt as a player at Canterbury over 13 years was to never give up. And I won’t. That’s why I’m standing now as an independent.”

Canterbury Bulldogs board member James Marroun.
It was new chair Lynne Anderson and her fellow directors who elected Marroun, who was found guilty of breaching rugby league’s national code of conduct under the following sections.

• Use of offensive or abusive language to participants.

• excessively disputed the decisions of the referees and touch judges during or after the match.

• Assault or acts of aggression towards any persons.

• Behaving in a way contrary to NRL code of conduct or spirit of the game.

• Behaving in a way that disturbs the enjoyment of a match, function or events.

• Refusing to accept reasonable direction of the ground manager.

Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson stood by the decision.
Contacted at the Winter Olympics in South Korea, Anderson stood by the board’s decision.

“James has explained his past and I’ve accepted his explanation,” Anderson said.

“We know there are challenges in the Leagues Club and we sat down to work out what skills sets were required to fix it.

“He has building and commercial expertise and we’ve picked the four candidates we felt were the best options to face the challenges we’ve got.”

Anderson’s board is also supporting disgraced former Leagues Club boss Gary McIntyre as an independent. McIntyre was forced to stand down after being found guilty of salary cap rorting in 2003.

George Peponis will also run as an independent. (Christian Gilles)
Under the Bulldogs’ constitution, the football club elects four Leagues club directors while another three are voted in by members.

Mortimer was on an overseas family holiday when he learnt he had been dumped.

He will now stand as an independent on a ticket alongside fellow legend George Peponis and long-time official Arthur Coorey.

The Daily Telegraph questioned Marroun about the legitimacy of him being a director of the club that controls the Bulldogs NRL side while still serving a suspension.

“The case wasn’t as straight forward as it looks,” he said.

“If you look at the suspension you’d have expected someone to have run onto the field, thrown a punch, threatened someone,” he said, “None of that occurred at all.

When pressed for a reason, he said: “I don’t really want to get into it at the moment. I was a trainer for the team. I’ve been told not to say anything.

“I run a building business and a recruitment agency. I’m not into the political stuff and backstabbing of rugby league clubs. I know there are agendas against me but I’m just a straight shooter.

“It is what it is. I have to wear the consequences and can’t change anything."
Guys... Turvey is on the board right? So what's this article all about? Because last I heard he was on both the Leagues Club Board and the Football Club Board... he's on both boards yet this article said that he was sacked. So what actually happened between then and now?

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Guys... Turvey is on the board right? So what's this article all about? Because last I heard he was on both the Leagues Club Board and the Football Club Board... he's on both boards yet this article said that he was sacked. So what actually happened between then and now?
Turvey is on both boards still. The football club board didn’t appoint him to the leagues club board as one or their nominees which is what that article is about. Turvey got voted on at the election anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.