Consolidated Leagues Club Board Election Thread (Coorey Chairman P29)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Steve Mortimer axed by Canterbury board in favour of disgraced junior trainer
PHIL ROTHFIELD, Editor-at-Large, The Daily Telegraph
March 15, 2018 6:05pm
Subscriber only

CLUB legend Steve Mortimer has been dumped from the Canterbury Bulldogs Leagues Club board in favour of a disgraced junior league trainer who is currently serving a six-year ban from the game for misconduct.

Property developer James Marroun refuses to discuss the circumstances of his rugby league exile but the Daily Telegraph can reveal he is prohibited from performing any role in junior football until 2020.

It seems the Bulldogs don’t have a role for Steve Mortimer.
When pressed on the ban, Marroun — who changed his name from Gabby James Marroun to James Gabby Marroun prior to the Leagues club appointment — admitted he was serving one of the longest bans in junior footy but added: “The suspension doesn’t stop me from running on any board.

“It’s unfortunate what happened but from my end it’s a non-event. I’ve been nominated because of my business ability.”

His appointment over Mortimer is seen as a betrayal of the club’s greatest player.

“I’m very disappointed,” Mortimer said, “but one thing I learnt as a player at Canterbury over 13 years was to never give up. And I won’t. That’s why I’m standing now as an independent.”

Canterbury Bulldogs board member James Marroun.
It was new chair Lynne Anderson and her fellow directors who elected Marroun, who was found guilty of breaching rugby league’s national code of conduct under the following sections.

• Use of offensive or abusive language to participants.

• excessively disputed the decisions of the referees and touch judges during or after the match.

• Assault or acts of aggression towards any persons.

• Behaving in a way contrary to NRL code of conduct or spirit of the game.

• Behaving in a way that disturbs the enjoyment of a match, function or events.

• Refusing to accept reasonable direction of the ground manager.

Bulldogs chair Lynne Anderson stood by the decision.
Contacted at the Winter Olympics in South Korea, Anderson stood by the board’s decision.

“James has explained his past and I’ve accepted his explanation,” Anderson said.

“We know there are challenges in the Leagues Club and we sat down to work out what skills sets were required to fix it.

“He has building and commercial expertise and we’ve picked the four candidates we felt were the best options to face the challenges we’ve got.”

Anderson’s board is also supporting disgraced former Leagues Club boss Gary McIntyre as an independent. McIntyre was forced to stand down after being found guilty of salary cap rorting in 2003.

George Peponis will also run as an independent. (Christian Gilles)
Under the Bulldogs’ constitution, the football club elects four Leagues club directors while another three are voted in by members.

Mortimer was on an overseas family holiday when he learnt he had been dumped.

He will now stand as an independent on a ticket alongside fellow legend George Peponis and long-time official Arthur Coorey.

The Daily Telegraph questioned Marroun about the legitimacy of him being a director of the club that controls the Bulldogs NRL side while still serving a suspension.

“The case wasn’t as straight forward as it looks,” he said.

“If you look at the suspension you’d have expected someone to have run onto the field, thrown a punch, threatened someone,” he said, “None of that occurred at all.

When pressed for a reason, he said: “I don’t really want to get into it at the moment. I was a trainer for the team. I’ve been told not to say anything.

“I run a building business and a recruitment agency. I’m not into the political stuff and backstabbing of rugby league clubs. I know there are agendas against me but I’m just a straight shooter.

“It is what it is. I have to wear the consequences and can’t change anything."

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Can't say i'm suprised by this. Turvey was just used for the win.

UmoGus

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Let's hope he's a proper businessman and not a crook

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Okay... could be wrog here, but pre board election I came across this guys name. How?

Well anyone remember this website: http://www.bulldogs2018reformticket.com.au/

It was the website written in order to drive forth the agenda of the Reform Ticket (which as we all know ended up winning).

Now... in the world of business every favour gets another favour.

He registered and made the website for the reform ticket. Could the board spot be the favour in return???

upload_2018-3-15_21-16-8.png

Football club have elected to put up:
John Ballesty
James Marroun
Paul Dunn
?????

So much for a family club eh? Backstabbing at 20 paces. The fact this bloke doesn't want to explain what SHOULD be a very simple thing (if it's nothing like he claims), suggests the incident was far more major that he is stating.

You don't get banned for 6 years from Junior Footy unless you do something pretty serious. Even the Fifitas didn't get banned for that long and they threatened a ref.

Last edited:

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Yeah hoping there is something more to this story as it looks ordinary at face value.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I’m on the fence with this.

Did anybody really expect them to nominate Mortimer? The guy was against Dib, then decided to just jump on the Dib ticket and go against the Anderson ticket. If Peponis and 2 other anti-board people get on the board and Mortimer is selected wouldn’t they be able to make things hard for the club? Isn’t the whole constitution written to avoid non board affiliations having control?

This dude however, looks like an idiot who abused the Refs when he was a trainer? Surely somebody can pick up an article on it somewhere when that happened because that’s a huge ban. He does however have a recruitment company that appears to have sponsored Wests in the past, so it is a business connection (which everyone was complaining Anderson’s ticket didn’t have).

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So what’s her credentials again? Daughter of bullfrog? It seems the board voted in the daughter not coz of her credentials but coz she’s the daughter of bullfrog but coz she’s a female as well. Following the Raelene Castle format, great pc publicity.
Great work bulldog DNA board great work!

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’m on the fence with this.

Did anybody really expect them to nominate Mortimer? The guy was against Dib, then decided to just jump on the Dib ticket and go against the Anderson ticket. If Peponis and 2 other anti-board people get on the board and Mortimer is selected wouldn’t they be able to make things hard for the club? Isn’t the whole constitution written to avoid non board affiliations having control?

This dude however, looks like an idiot who abused the Refs when he was a trainer? Surely somebody can pick up an article on it somewhere when that happened because that’s a huge ban. He does however have a recruitment company that appears to have sponsored Wests in the past, so it is a business connection (which everyone was complaining Anderson’s ticket didn’t have).
You’d think I’ll be in support of this Lebo coz I’m Lebo as well, but I’m not a blind minority supporter that just supports someone of the same race. It’s actually ridiculous

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So what’s her credentials again? Daughter of bullfrog? It seems the board voted in the daughter not coz of her credentials but coz she’s the daughter of bullfrog but coz she’s a female as well. Following the Raelene Castle format, great pc publicity.
Great work bulldog DNA board great work!
Um successful marketing manager when at the Dogs, successful company involved in sports management, CEO of the Paralympics Australia. She had much better credentials than Dib ever had to be chairman of the board.

You’d think I’ll be in support of this Lebo coz I’m Lebo as well, but I’m not a blind minority supporter that just supports someone of the same race. It’s actually ridiculous
You quoted my comment so I’ll respond. I didn’t think anybody would blindly support someone because of their race? That’d be one of the stupidest things one could do.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks Mr I.
But who is this person?
Also it feels wrong that he is sitting on the Canterbury Bankstown Leagues Club board when he is serving a 6 year ban from junior rugby league.

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Um successful marketing manager when at the Dogs, successful company involved in sports management, CEO of the Paralympics Australia. She had much better credentials than Dib ever had to be chairman of the board.

You quoted my comment so I’ll respond. I didn’t think anybody would blindly support someone because of their race? That’d be one of the stupidest things one could do.
It is the ‘most’ stupidest things one can do but it happens all too often these days.

What’s this successful company you speak of and what do you define as successful? Also how did paralympics Australia do under her?

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hands up who'd like to know the REAL reason he got elected to the board :grinning:..

Anyone? Anyone? .. Ahh bugger I'll tell you all anyway.

Give me a second to dig some things up.
What’s next a gender fluid player signing? Oh wait..... Aron woods. Never mind.

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What’s this successful company you speak of and what do you define as successful? Also how did paralympics Australia do under her?
Can’t remember the name of her original company but it got sold when she owned it and she was kept on as managing director. Then the company that bought it got sold and she got kept on as managing director for the Aus Nz section of Repucom International.

This was all discussed repetitively in the drama leading up to and after the elections. Paralympics seem to be doing well under her? I don’t know what metric you’d use to define success for the paralympics committee?

I really do think your issue is with the fact she has a vagina though (you mentioned Raelene as well who managed to move into a bigger role in Rugby Union because most of the problems she had here where issues with Dib and Des not actual CEO things).

Status
Not open for further replies.