Consolidated Klemmer Discussion

What do you want from Klemmer as of this present moment?

• Stay

Votes: 65 31.6%
  • Piss Off

Votes: 141 68.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

berries1935

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thInking about this today and the Holmes NFL situation and the clubs just have no leg to stand on.. if I remember correctly we held our ground when mason wanted to trial for the NFL and looked how that turned out the team fell apart eventually mason left Anasta left Omeley left SBW left. Players don’t get what they want they revolt and ultimately a club is judged on there first grade performance... so basically if we can’t keep him happy piss him off, there will Be another prop come along and the club goes through less pain then Klemmer staying causing a root

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thInking about this today and the Holmes NFL situation and the clubs just have no leg to stand on.. if I remember correctly we held our ground when mason wanted to trial for the NFL and looked how that turned out the team fell apart eventually mason left Anasta left Omeley left SBW left. Players don’t get what they want they revolt and ultimately a club is judged on there first grade performance... so basically if we can’t keep him happy piss him off, there will Be another prop come along and the club goes through less pain then Klemmer staying causing a root
Props are replaceable. He’s not a spine player. Bennet knows a props place. Klemmer can run along and do it quick smart, I’m over waiting for the announcement. He’s not as important as he thinks he is.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Don’t sign Napa ffs. I’d rather Taupau for 2 years. Far better. Why you think roosters will let someone go ffs they never do unless they go for upgrade e.g Cronk for Pearce etc.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Don’t sign Napa ffs. I’d rather Taupau for 2 years. Far better. Why you think roosters will let someone go ffs they never do unless they go for upgrade e.g Cronk for Pearce etc.
I would be happy to have Taupau back too, but he would be harder to get.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Piss Klemmer off and grow our own props. They shouldn’t be paying big money for a prop. Look where that has got us.
Get your thinking behind this, but can't help but think that Pay and the board want to have some experience in there to help our pups mature. There's a big danger of placing all of your faith only in youth. Of course, it could come off but there's also a big possibility it doesn't and that promise & confidence the young props had there goes completely.

If there's a possibility to hedge your bets slightly and bring in a more experienced prop who can lead from the front using his experience then ... I'd be more inclined in going that way.

Has to be the right prop though, and it seems as though they've chosen Napa. Is he the right choice? Who knows, but gotta support the board / coach on this one, especially when Chris Anderson is involved.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Get your thinking behind this, but can't help but think that Pay and the board want to have some experience in there to help our pups mature. There's a big danger of placing all of your faith only in youth. Of course, it could come off but there's also a big possibility it doesn't and that promise & confidence the young props had there goes completely.

If there's a possibility to hedge your bets slightly and bring in a more experienced prop who can lead from the front using his experience then ... I'd be more inclined in going that way.

Has to be the right prop though, and it seems as though they've chosen Napa. Is he the right choice? Who knows, but gotta support the board / coach on this one, especially when Chris Anderson is involved.
In addition to this, maybe playing Napa in a mentor role is designed to curb some of his misdirected behaviour on the field and in turn help him mature as a player?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Some of our forwards coming through I wouldn't consider mongrels... and that's fine, because they seem like nice guys who are the type of guys you want to support.... and the forwards in the modern game are not predominantly staunch like they were in the days of old... having said that, I think having at least one full-blown mongrel is invaluable in certain situations.. somebody to come out put a hit on that can change the momentum of the game... somebody who opposition players fear running near

Malla

Reaction score
Some of our forwards coming through I wouldn't consider mongrels... and that's fine, because they seem like nice guys who are the type of guys you want to support.... and the forwards in the modern game are not predominantly staunch like they were in the days of old... having said that, I think having at least one full-blown mongrel is invaluable in certain situations.. somebody to come out put a hit on that can change the momentum of the game... somebody who opposition players fear running near
You are correct. There are a handful of mongrel forwards left in the game. These days, it's a lot more about fitness and skill than running over the top of someone.

Hence why I just don't see the big issue with letting Klemmer go. He is over priced for what he offers.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I would be happy to have Taupau back too, but he would be harder to get.
Taupau is a good player...for about 10 minutes and then goes MIA. Not for mine. Fonua Blake is a better option but probably not available unless he also walks.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You are correct. There are a handful of mongrel forwards left in the game. These days, it's a lot more about fitness and skill than running over the top of someone.

Hence why I just don't see the big issue with letting Klemmer go. He is over priced for what he offers.
Yep, bring back the Dogs of the mid 90's. Would love to see another Simon Gillies out there for us. Tough as nails and always gave his all.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yep, bring back the Dogs of the mid 90's. Would love to see another Simon Gillies out there for us. Tough as nails and always gave his all.
One thing I think many people miss when talking about the Dogs of the 90s is that the forwards were not only tough, but had pretty decent ball skills.

Who can remember Gillies running away in the last min to score against Canberra in the semi I think? Relf's around the corner to the 'flying Rod Silva' against Parra. I think these players typified the Dogs of that time. Hard, but at the same time they were also not afraid to throw the ball around.

Judging by what the club's doing at the moment it seems that we're trying to get back to that way of playing, no?

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing I think many people miss when talking about the Dogs of the 90s is that the forwards were not only tough, but had pretty decent ball skills.

Who can remember Gillies running away in the last min to score against Canberra in the semi I think? Relf's around the corner to the 'flying Rod Silva' against Parra. I think these players typified the Dogs of that time. Hard, but at the same time they were also not afraid to throw the ball around.

Judging by what the club's doing at the moment it seems that we're trying to get back to that way of playing, no?
Yeah, I agree and I certainly hope thats the plan. What a great team to watch they were.
Even Dean Pay himself - The hit on Glenn Lazarus that essentially took him out of the Semi Final in the first set of 6!

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From NRL.com

Canterbury officials privately questioned whether the club should pursue some form of action over David Klemmer's impending move to Newcastle despite having two more years to run on his contract, but conceded it would not help them keep the Kangaroos prop.

This is the point Cronulla captain Paul Gallen and others in the game who are angry or frustrated with the sudden departure of star Sharks fullback Valentine Holmes for a shot at NFL need to accept.

If Klemmer or Holmes want to play elsewhere next year, there is little Canterbury and Cronulla can do about it other than negotiate a transfer fee – as the Bulldogs did after Sonny Bill Williams walked out on the club in 2008 and South Sydney did before releasing Sam Burgess to English rugby union.

The last statement I remember from Andrew Hill he said words to the effect of " it's now up to David". Has club said to him you can have release if you pay $????? It makes sense and I can't see anything wrong/illegal with such a request, Klemmer wants to piss off for more dosh using other excuses as reasons, C Anderson is renowned as a hard man, makes sense to me.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
From NRL.com

Canterbury officials privately questioned whether the club should pursue some form of action over David Klemmer's impending move to Newcastle despite having two more years to run on his contract, but conceded it would not help them keep the Kangaroos prop.

This is the point Cronulla captain Paul Gallen and others in the game who are angry or frustrated with the sudden departure of star Sharks fullback Valentine Holmes for a shot at NFL need to accept.

If Klemmer or Holmes want to play elsewhere next year, there is little Canterbury and Cronulla can do about it other than negotiate a transfer fee – as the Bulldogs did after Sonny Bill Williams walked out on the club in 2008 and South Sydney did before releasing Sam Burgess to English rugby union.

The last statement I remember from Andrew Hill he said words to the effect of " it's now up to David". Has club said to him you can have release if you pay $????? It makes sense and I can't see anything wrong/illegal with such a request, Klemmer wants to piss off for more dosh using other excuses as reasons, C Anderson is renowned as a hard man, makes sense to me.
There are so many holes in this, firstly Holmes, SBW and Burgess went outside of the NRL, so there was nothing that the NRL could do about it. Ruby Union agreed to pay a transfer fee even though one was not legally mandated, it was a quid pro quo arrangement (goodwill gesture), if you pinch our guys we expect to get paid too. I wouldn't expect the NFL to do the same for Holmes ie; we are no competition in pinching their players.

Klemmer is entirely different, it's a transfer within the NRL and as such is covered by NRL contract systems. We can simply say "no" to a transfer request, which means Newcastle can't register a contract with Klemmer and he can't play for them. It's a request for a release FFS and there are 2 answers, "yes" and "no". If we say "no" then Klemmer can't play for Newcastle within the term of his Bulldogs contract (ie; 2 more years), it's that simple. If we say "yes" then that's when the bargaining can happen. If an agreement can be reached (monetary, player/s and/or salary cap co payments etc) then the transfer can proceed. If an agreement can't be reached then the "no" answer applies.

Personally I'd stall for couple more weeks, there could be players pop out from the pre season salary cap audit that will fit in nicely.

Go Dogs

SKY-DOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
There are so many holes in this, firstly Holmes, SBW and Burgess went outside of the NRL, so there was nothing that the NRL could do about it. Ruby Union agreed to pay a transfer fee even though one was not legally mandated, it was a quid pro quo arrangement (goodwill gesture), if you pinch our guys we expect to get paid too. I wouldn't expect the NFL to do the same for Holmes ie; we are no competition in pinching their players.

Klemmer is entirely different, it's a transfer within the NRL and as such is covered by NRL contract systems. We can simply say "no" to a transfer request, which means Newcastle can't register a contract with Klemmer and he can't play for them. It's a request for a release FFS and there are 2 answers, "yes" and "no". If we say "no" then Klemmer can't play for Newcastle within the term of his Bulldogs contract (ie; 2 more years), it's that simple. If we say "yes" then that's when the bargaining can happen. If an agreement can be reached (monetary, player/s and/or salary cap co payments etc) then the transfer can proceed. If an agreement can't be reached then the "no" answer applies.

Personally I'd stall for couple more weeks, there could be players pop out from the pre season salary cap audit that will fit in nicely.

Go Dogs
Can we say No and keep Klemmer and sign Napa as well and stay under the salary cap.?

I think having both of them would add a lot of aggression to our pack.

I also if we released Klemmer and fail to sign Napa can we promote the young forwards that won the intrust super cup.
Are they ready to step up and fill the gap.?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Can we say No and keep Klemmer and sign Napa as well and stay under the salary cap.?

I think having both of them would add a lot of aggression to our pack.

I also if we released Klemmer and fail to sign Napa can we promote the young forwards that won the intrust super cup.
Are they ready to step up and fill the gap.?

Smith, Ogden and To'Omaga will all see a bit of FG next year and at some point all three could be regular first graders but it remains to be seen how long it will take until we see the best of them... we've got to keep a lot of those ISP guys together, not just because they won the comp and state cup, but because of the type of players they are... Steve did a good job with them and he will also be good for their FG development as assistant coach

Status
Not open for further replies.