Consolidated ASADA Investigation Thread - No Names!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets guess how this will play out: Nobody will be persued as an individual and it'll all get swept under the carpet as if it never occurred. ASADA will look like a farce/toothless tiger, and everyone in 6 months will have forgotten they even existed.
Quite likely.

I'm going to quote from my own post back when this broke (Feb 2013). I'm still thinking the same and one year of Kenting and Weidlering hasn't convinced me otherwise.

I'm going to stick my neck out here. Feel free to quote this back to me in a few months times when I've been proven badly wrong.

I really doubt this investigation will come to anything like as much as it is promising. I'm not saying that there will be no consequences, but the rhetoric out of it is suggesting that cataclysmic changes are coming and that everything will be perfect afterwards.

Thoughts:

1) If any code has anything to fear, it's the AFL more than the NRL, ARU or FFA. I'm not saying that dubious practices are any more common there than in other games, simply that they've managed their image superbly (and had a very soft drugs policy that a genius like Ben Cousins managed to always get around) and much of that is likely due to damage minimisation from the all-controlling fingers of Andrew Demetriou. Look at how Rugby League responded to the (admittedly criminal) actions of Ryan Tandy. Look at how the AFL dealt with a few "inside knowledge" betting plunges on surprise first goalscorers recently. In terms of image, they have further to fall. Much of the AFL's success is built on the back of a "superiority factor" over other codes - a nebulous concept, but one that's worth billions. Speak to an average AFL supporter and they regard Rugby League as a game played by criminals and sexual deviants whereas AFL is played by blue collar harmless larrikins. Had something like the St Kilda schoolgirl scandal happened in the NRL, it would have been "typical Rugby League" rather than a minor isolated case.

2) I doubt any players from any code will be singled out, unless they are off the scale in terms of doping. If it's as widespread as suggested, they're hardly going to suspend 15 players from each club. A club would have to be doping massively more than others, or have rogue individuals for anything much to happen.

3) Both the AFL and NRL have signed $1bn+ TV deals. Money talks and unless the scandals are utterly unavoidable, they're not going to drop a nuclear bomb on the prize investments.

4) The Dogs should have nothing to fear based on the fact Des worked with Dank at Manly. If he's not worked for the Dogs, that's surely the end of it. At best, Des would plead ignorance saying you'd trust medical professionals. At worst, he'd get some minor sanction but not the club.

5) This commission is clearly promising too much. It's confusing three very different issues - recreational drugs (a problem with drug procedures, but not to the game's integrity), performance enhancing drugs (a serious issue) and match fixing (an out and out criminal issue with ties to organised crime).

6) Match fixing is a whole different league to the other issues and one that cannot be dismissed or buried to protect TV deals. That must, and likely will, be dealt with if it's found.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Right, now it's high time someone at Asada became accountable for creating all this, it was government funded if I understand correctly,

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Dank played this beautifully ,poor sandor went off a little premi

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Dank played this beautifully ,poor sandor went off a little premi
I feel sorry for him TBH, All he wanted was to get an edge, at the time he started im ure he thought it was normal practice to do what he was doing.

Shame really, he can't play Footy anymore

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I feel sorry for him TBH, All he wanted was to get an edge, at the time he started im ure he thought it was normal practice to do what he was doing.

Yes its very disappointing and sad for him ,hopefully he gets another chance at some point

N

Natboy

More so he just wanted to beat the injuries. I do feel sorry for him as he's the scapegoat.
I still think more players will be implicated and aren't out of the woods yet

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
True, he saw a way to kind of get ahead and at the time nobody knew that it would turn into a shit storm like it has.
Has anyone heard what he is up to since he spoke about Dank

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
More so he just wanted to beat the injuries. I do feel sorry for him as he's the scapegoat.
I still think more players will be implicated and aren't out of the woods yet
Pretty much, what he done was medically fine. He was injured and needed a way to beat the recovery big time and did so, to me if you use peptides to help with recovery that is their intended purpose...

Those other players implicated might use the same excuse or the I didn't know what it was and the doctors said it was fine.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I read in the herald today danks legal team basically said to asada if they put an infraction notice on him theyll start legal action against them and basically asada are trying to avoid that by not interviewing him,dank apparently said he wont be interviewed by a kangaroo type court organisation and would only talk in a federal court ,talk about giving it to asada up the anus ,earl showed hia hand way to early

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Pretty much, what he done was medically fine. He was injured and needed a way to beat the recovery big time and did so, to me if you use peptides to help with recovery that is their intended purpose...

Those other players implicated might use the same excuse or the I didn't know what it was and the doctors said it was fine.
Isn't steroids a recovery drug as well?

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't steroids a recovery drug as well?
I think types of steroids are for certain conditions like asthma relief or premature babies receiving steroids to help with quick growth. Only conditions I know when steroids are used medically while peptides are just broken amino chains for quick regrowth and repair of muscle while also helping to keep your body fat % down. I've considered peptides though the only ones you can get over the counter are di-peptide and tri-peptides not the medical grade stuff for recovery from surgery.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I read in the herald today danks legal team basically said to asada if they put an infraction notice on him theyll start legal action against them and basically asada are trying to avoid that by not interviewing him,dank apparently said he wont be interviewed by a kangaroo type court organisation and would only talk in a federal court ,talk about giving it to asada up the anus ,earl showed hia hand way to early
Danks (like Gibbert) is just a mouthy a-hole.

Like many of them, in front of the cameras talk big, but I'm sure behind closed doors when push comes to shove, they'll be crapping bricks.

One man is not larger than ASADA, I can tell you that ;)

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Right, now it's high time someone at Asada became accountable for creating all this, it was government funded if I understand correctly,
They have another 180 days from when they finished evidence gathering a couple of weeks ago.

D

DoggyStylz

Yes the circus continues.... the latest is 6 month bans for unwittingly taking a banned substance to be handed down to 17 players but only a handful of players are still the nrl.... if penalties are handed out soon, players will start serving as soon as the season finishes.... meaning players will only miss the first month of footy next year.

Courtesy of triple m

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes the circus continues.... the latest is 6 month bans for unwittingly taking a banned substance to be handed down to 17 players but only a handful of players are still the nrl.... if penalties are handed out soon, players will start serving as soon as the season finishes.... meaning players will only the first month of footy next year.

Courtesy of triple m
If this happens they are basically admitting they did close nothing wrong. What a farce.

Scorpio

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
It should be a 1 year suspension minimum if they took a banned substance. Who cares if they took it without knowing.

I thought ASADA and WADA don't accept that excuse as a defence.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The bans are only in force whilst they are playing the sport.

So if they are banned for 6 months, it's 6 months of NRL games, not 6 months in total.

Status
Not open for further replies.