Connecting a laptop to a TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I have stuff i have downloaded that i want to watch on TV, cause my laptop screen is too small to enjoy it, can i connect it to me TV to watch movies?

TV is a rear Projection, not an LCD or Plasma

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
yeah you can, you need a cable, but being untecho i don't know what it's called

edit- looked it up

. S-Video – This is probably the most common method out there currently because an S-Video cable is cheap as heck and just about every TV under the sun has a S-Video port. You’ll have to make sure you laptop is equipped with this port. Remember, there are two types of S-Video cables: 4-pin and 7-pin. Most laptops and PC’s are equipped with a 7-pin port, so if your TV only has a 4-pin S-Video port, then this method will not work.

2. VGA – If you have a HDTV, then you will be better off connecting using a VGA cable. It gives much better quality than S-Video and as with S-Video, the cable is very cheap. You usually won’t find a VGA port on regular TV’s though, so this option is if you have an HDTV.

3. DVI - DVI stands for Digital Visual Interface with “digital” being the key word there. The digital signal will give a higher quality picture than either S-Video or VGA. Of course, your computer will need to have a DVI connection and your TV will need to be an HDTV. This cord is definitely not cheap, it ranges anywhere from $40 to $80.

4. HDMI – Using HDMI will give you the best quality by far. No computers that I know of yet have HDMI ports, but you can get a DVI to HDMI cable to connect it to your HDTV. HDMI is compatible with DVI.

5. Scan Converter Box – This is the last method that I could think of and it involves using a scan converter box, which takes a VGA signal and converts it into S-Video or component video.

Game Breaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
via a PVR box, equipped with a USB port that can play your files

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Depends what connections you have on the back or front of your TV. bigbadbobbi pretty much covered them all.

It is like hooking up your lappy to a projector.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
if i got IQ on Foxtel, could i connect it to that and play it that way

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If i used S-Video cable, does that mean i need a cable for sound as well

R

rocky IV

lol noob

Foxtel no

S video and speakers plugged into ur laptop

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh no hang on, ill want to use the speakers from my tv

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
So will the sound play from the TV or mt pc

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
By the sounds of it you'll have to use S-Video. Unless you have 'audio out' on your laptop you'll have to plug speakers into your laptop

Doga

Father Figure
Reaction score
Wont play tthrough the TV. Connect some speakers to the lappy

If you want a device that plays media through a HDD onto the TV (FULL HD) then I sugest this...

http://www.wdtv.com.au/

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
By the sounds of it you'll have to use S-Video. Unless you have 'audio out' on your laptop you'll have to plug speakers into your laptop
Hmmm i'll see if i have Audio out, that would be best

Fict|on.x

akimbo^assassin
Reaction score
i use s-video cable which i bought off ebay for 5bux
and for sound i connected a cable into my receiver (auxiliary) - that cable i stole of my mate. straight into aux and headphone jack.
prob RRP around 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.