Concussion in the eyes of james graham

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
CANTERBURY enforcer James Graham has demanded NRL players be allowed decide wether they return to the field after suffering a head knock, stressing: “We know what the risks are”.

View attachment 22428
View attachment 22429

Why does a doctor tell me I can’t go back on?’’ Graham asked. “Why can’t that be my choice?

“For me, concussion is such a grey area. I know something has happened over in America, in the NFL, and that’s had a ripple effect through to here.

“But this is a contact sport and things are going to happen. We know the risks.

No one wants to see players suffering serious damage, but I think (when a player has received a knock) you should really ask them and see if they want to play on.

“I know I’ve had a knock to the head, a doctor has asked me to come off and he’s probably right. But I’ve also had a slight knock before and been told I had to come off. And I’ve felt fine.”

Told his opinion would be hotly debated, Graham continued: “I’m happy for people to disagree, this is just my opinion.

“People might think it’s a stupid example, but if I smoke all the warnings are there on the packet, saying what the damage can be.

“But does a doctor walk down the street, go into a cafe and stub out someone’s cigarette because they’re technically killing themselves? No they don’t.

It’s why I think, given players know the risk, they should have more say. Let them say ‘no, I’m okay’. I want to play on.”

Graham even questioned the effectiveness of current NRL concussion testing.

“For the tests, they get you to stand on one foot for 20 seconds with your eyes closed,” he said.

“Some players couldn’t do that on a daily basis … let alone when they’ve got boots on and a thousand different things going through their head regarding the game.”

http://mobile.news.com.au/sport/nrl...ing-a-head-knock/story-fndv2wg4-1227276910168

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
lol some players couldnt do that on a daily basis

The Dogfather

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In the opinion of James Graham players not doctors should have the last say. The players should be able to decide whether they return to the field after a headknock.

What are your thoughts?

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
A concussed player should be allowed to determine if they are fit to continue ffs!

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
A concussed player should be allowed to determine if they are fit to continue ffs!
but lets give them the big time information about these injuries, right now they would always go back

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree totally with Bupa's thoughts. I received several head knocks while playing and they haven't affected me ... not affected me .... not affected me.

immortalbulldog

Eternal Doggy
Reaction score
I'm sick of comparisons to the NFL. They are saying "but players over there are shooting themselves in the chest and donating their brain to science". **** me.
Our game has been going since 1908 and how many times has that happened? A big fat donut that's how many. In the last 30 yrs in particular we have made the game safer for players and their heads. Perhaps the NFL needs to look at the long term effects of performance enhancers on the brain
In nfl players heads become a weapon because of their helmet. They get hit a lot more in a stationary position and looking over their shoulder so they can't brace for the impact.
The comparison is so stupid it's not even funny

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
In the opinion of James Graham players not doctors should have the last say. The players should be able to decide whether they return to the field after a headknock.

What are your thoughts?
I think that doctors err towards the clinical side of a suspected concussion. To stand on one foot in a football boot for 20 seconds with your eyes closed is over the top.

I think the head trainer should be the the one who calls the shots while communicating with the player. IMO the trainers would have more feeling for the player and the club than a doctor and would weigh upo the short and long term consequences of the situation.

From what I've seen of Jammer his head inflicts more pain than it suffers. Jammer at training :frusty:

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Graham's view of concussion isn't fair. Not everyone else has a skull made of reinforced steel.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Paul Kent: It is time we accept that the culture of bravery is redundant when playing through what could be irreversible injury

http://m.foxsports.com.au/nrl/paul-...eversible-injury/story-fnlt03ir-1227276987299
Why do we keep comparing the NRL to the NFL ? They're completely different games.
NFL a players use their heads as a tool, some NRL players will go their entire career without ever being concussed.
Then you get idiots comparing it to boxing, pointing to the fact that if a boxer is knocked out he can't fight for 6 months. Well, boxers could be slightly concussed 5 or 6 times in a single bout and if they don't get "knocked out" they'd be allowed to fight the next week if they wanted.
Besides all that, footy players don't get hit in the head 60-70 times a game !
If a guys too concussed to play on, he can't play, if he comes good, let him play.
Maybe the NRL should be looking at ways to stop players being concussed as opposed to punishing them when it happens.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm surprised that he's allowed to publically air this opinion.
companies tend to have a clause in their code of conduct preventing employees speeking against the policy.

dredresyd

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think it should be up to the players, to an extent. Obviously a person who is badly concussed can't make informed decisions so
there should be someone who can pull the pin on a player going back out. Not sure what that level/extent would be but up to that
point, a player can determine what they do.

wigum

Immortal
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
People might think it’s a stupid example, but if I smoke all the warnings are there on the packet, saying what the damage can be.

But does a doctor walk down the street, go into a cafe and stub out someone’s cigarette because they’re technically killing themselves? No they don’t.
Lol I love this, it is a stupid example but that's why it's so great

Realist90

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
why doesn't the nrl make up a contract for players where if they have been concussed and advised by the dr not to play, but the player wants to continue to play, they would have to sign it which would state that they have been warned and advised of the dangers by the drs and by signing this it means the player knows full well of the dangers and any damage in the long run or short run the nrl isn't in shit it's the players own responsibility.
I think that's fair. It's like sky diving for instance you have to sign a insurance form type thing where it states death is a probability but the company will not be liable.

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
He's probably right..

But with all the professionalism nowadays, its a duty of care..

footballers natively aren't the smartest blokes, so by having that doctor there, they have an official saying you can't do this.. the players would play on 9 times out of 10 cause they are in the moment, "all about mateship" and the instant gratification of being a hero..

Having a doctor there covers the club from getting sued 20 years down the track when the mateship and hero praise of the moment have worn off and developed into long term brain injury...

But yeah, maybe if they want to play on, they sign a waiver on the sideline acknowledging they are going against doctors orders and may develop a long term brain injury, would definitely make players more aware in the moment of the bigger picture...

just my opinion, feel free to disagree bupa :grinning:

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
why doesn't the nrl make up a contract for players where if they have been concussed and advised by the dr not to play, but the player wants to continue to play, they would have to sign it which would state that they have been warned and advised of the dangers by the drs and by signing this it means the player knows full well of the dangers and any damage in the long run or short run the nrl isn't in shit it's the players own responsibility.
I think that's fair. It's like sky diving for instance you have to sign a insurance form type thing where it states death is a probability but the company will not be liable.
Just read this, exactly what i think!

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
Can't compare to the NFL - Peyton Manning used to throw his baseline test at the start of the season so that no matter how concussed he was, he could still pass it in a game.

KimboSlice

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Can't compare to the NFL - Peyton Manning used to throw his baseline test at the start of the season so that no matter how concussed he was, he could still pass it in a game.
Thats it exactly, doctors are just there to cover the clubs ass in 20 years time..

It needs to be the players who are empowered and (if need be) sign the waiver acknowledging that they understand the long term effects of continuing to play with concussion... If the players don't want to go off, there will always be loop holes and ways around it...

Status
Not open for further replies.