Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Spent an hour playing god of war, performance mode and higher fps if you can is ideal. I play on a 32” monitor at 1440p 120hz and it looks and runs perfectly.

Games is excellent so far, savour it and take your time.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Spent an hour playing god of war, performance mode and higher fps if you can is ideal. I play on a 32” monitor at 1440p 120hz and it looks and runs perfectly.

Games is excellent so far, savour it and take your time.
Just played through the first major fight...fucking amazing. Stopped there and will get back on tomorrow night and probably play until the morning :tearsofjoy:

So this is what the games running at for me...it ain't running at 4K with that refresh rate is it? I'm confused lol
PXL_20221110_115832493.jpg

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just played through the first major fight...fucking amazing. Stopped there and will get back on tomorrow night and probably play until the morning :tearsofjoy:

So this is what the games running at for me...it ain't running at 4K with that refresh rate is it? I'm confused lol View attachment 61055
what are your settings? what is your display brand and model?

Favour Performance + High Frame Rate
  • Resolution: 1440p
  • Framerate: Unlocked 60 fps
Favour Quality + High Frame Rate
  • Resolution: 1800-2160p
  • Framerate: 40 fps target (not locked, so will deviate)
Favour Performance + High Frame Rate + VRR
Favour Quality + High Frame Rate + VRR
  • 1800-2160p
  • Unlocked 40 fps (not locked, so will deviate)

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

So this is what the games running at for me...it ain't running at 4K with that refresh rate is it? I'm confused lol View attachment 61055
With VRR on in performance mode I think it's a checkerboard upscale. So it runs at 60fps minimum up to 120fps, and it runs at 1440p but will upscale to 4k.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
With VRR on in performance mode I think it's a checkerboard upscale. So it runs at 60fps minimum up to 120fps, and it runs at 1440p but will upscale to 4k.
Yep, thats right.

That is why I play on a 1440p monitor as I always pick performance mode with every game and why not have a higher fps while im at it. gow stays at 120 fps the entire time with no dip, the PS5 doesn't support VRR at 1440p so if it did drop frames my monitor would blank out and it hasn't yet.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I assumed it was something like that. Game looks great anyway although I'm still a little little unsure with the HDR like I am with most games. Maybe HDR is just fucked on my PS5 because I don't have an issue when streaming.

what are your settings? what is your display brand and model?

Favour Performance + High Frame Rate
Favour Quality + High Frame Rate
  • Resolution: 1800-2160p
  • Framerate: 40 fps target (not locked, so will deviate)
Favour Performance + High Frame Rate + VRR
Favour Quality + High Frame Rate + VRR
  • 1800-2160p
  • Unlocked 40 fps (not locked, so will deviate)
Performance/HFF/VRR, playing on my LG CX.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I assumed it was something like that. Game looks great anyway although I'm still a little little unsure with the HDR like I am with most games. Maybe HDR is just fucked on my PS5 because I don't have an issue when streaming.

awesome, must look good on it.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
awesome, must look good on it.
Yes the OLED's are awesome, always disappointing switching to a screen that isn't OLED now. I do want to upsize though but I also want to buy a PC... probably not the smartest decision for me to do either right now though

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

I played through Forbidden West on the 40fps quality mode and found it really good. Definitely not as smooth as 60/120fps, but still extremely smooth.

Digital Foundry did a special on it. Basically even though 40fps is only 10 frames more than 30fps, it's actually a big leap because of how it syncs up with frame timing. And VRR makes it even smoother.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes the OLED's are awesome, always disappointing switching to a screen that isn't OLED now. I do want to upsize though but I also want to buy a PC... probably not the smartest decision for me to do either right now though
I have the last Panasonic oled released here and I agree.

gaming on PC is beneficial if you happy to play anything, exclusives which are on console don’t land on PCs often. PCs are are rabbit hole, while I love them for gaming, going forward I’m not going to build a gaming one since I don’t play anything other than the rare exclusives on console.

You could get a series X with cheap game pass like I did but ended up selling it because it was a decision made without throught. Their games just don’t do anything for me as I’ve been Sony since the PS1.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I played through Forbidden West on the 40fps quality mode and found it really good. Definitely not as smooth as 60/120fps, but still extremely smooth.

Digital Foundry did a special on it. Basically even though 40fps is only 10 frames more than 30fps, it's actually a big leap because of how it syncs up with frame timing. And VRR makes it even smoother.
I'll probably try that out at some stage and then stress over what's better for a couple of hours.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

gaming on PC is beneficial if you happy to play anything, exclusives which are on console don’t land on PCs often. PCs are are rabbit hole, while I love them for gaming, going forward I’m not going to build a gaming one since I don’t play anything other than the rare exclusives on console.

You could get a series X with cheap game pass like I did but ended up selling it because it was a decision made without throught. Their games just don’t do anything for me as I’ve been Sony since the PS1.
That's why I've never got a PC for gaming, I feel like I would spend too much time and money on it. I'm just really tempted to play some games heavily modded.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That's why I've never got a PC for gaming, I feel like I would spend too much time and money on it. I'm just really tempted to play some games heavily modded.
I decent video card will cost you what the PS5 retails for and there is no point cheaping out on a budget PC because it will just cost you more in the long run.

Games like gta with mods are awesome looking though.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

You can get game pass for PC as well which has a decent catalogue of games. I have a PS5, XSX, PC, and pretty much everything else, but I mainly play PS5. Just has better games. Except if I'm playing an old game. Then I'll usually either play on Xbox (if it's on Game Pass and has the FPS boost), or on PC (unlocked frame rate), as most old PS4 games are locked at 30fps, which is torture.

Xbox will eventually get good games, but right now there isn't much. I will say this though, the Ori games on an OLED are unbelievable.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You can get game pass for PC as well which has a decent catalogue of games. I have a PS5, XSX, PC, and pretty much everything else, but I mainly play PS5. Just has better games. Except if I'm playing an old game. Then I'll usually either play on Xbox (if it's on Game Pass and has the FPS boost), or on PC (unlocked frame rate), as most old PS4 games are locked at 30fps, which is torture.

Xbox will eventually get good games, but right now there isn't much. I will say this though, the Ori games on an OLED are unbelievable.
i use GP on my PC since I sold the series X off, have had it for a year and I have played the halo series only. I do check what’s on offer but I always end up back on Sony because I just like their games more.

I will sub to next level of PSN and look at if it’s worth it long term.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
i use GP on my PC since I sold the series X off, have had it for a year and I have played the halo series only. I do check what’s on offer but I always end up back on Sony because I just like their games more.

I will sub to next level of PSN and look at if it’s worth it long term.
I had a stacked PSN subscription (3 years), and it ended up being about $100 to upgrade that to the max subscription. Definitely many games worth the upgrade, but unfortunately I've played them all.

John Matrix

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I had a stacked PSN subscription (3 years), and it ended up being about $100 to upgrade that to the max subscription. Definitely many games worth the upgrade, but unfortunately I've played them all.
im due in Feb and just waiting for the Black Friday sales to see if PSN will be discounted then I’ll stack 3 years and upgrade if the games good.

The problem I’m really picky with games and if they don’t grab me at the start I won’t play them. The only games I have played on my PS5 since launch are days gone, gow 2018, tLoU 1 and 2, Spider-Man games and gow.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
im due in Feb and just waiting for the Black Friday sales to see if PSN will be discounted then I’ll stack 3 years and upgrade if the games good.

The problem I’m really picky with games and if they don’t grab me at the start I won’t play them. The only games I have played on my PS5 since launch are days gone, gow 2018, tLoU 1 and 2, Spider-Man games and gow.
Have you played Ghost of Tsushima? That's included in the upgraded PS+ and that game alone still costs over $100. I still haven't finished it, played every side quest available and then lost track of the main story and couldn't get back into it lol