Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@Hacky McAxe do you know if there is a way of upgrading my PS+ subscription without extending it by a whole 12 months? Can't seem to find any other option other than that.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The best way of upgrading your PS+ is to probably just get a PC
I probably will at some stage even though it will just turn into a money pit. I got a work laptop so my current laptop "broke" and I got a cash refund so that could contribute to it....but really I just want a month or two of the upgraded PS+ so I can finally pay GOT for a couple of dollars and the cat game lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
@Hacky McAxe do you know if there is a way of upgrading my PS+ subscription without extending it by a whole 12 months? Can't seem to find any other option other than that.
You don't have to. When you upgrade it tell you how much it costs to upgrade based on how much time you have left on your subscription. If your subscription is about to run out then you can separately order a 1 month subscription. But a 12 month subscription costs so much cheaper than buying 12 x 1 month subscription.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
You don't have to. When you upgrade it tell you how much it costs to upgrade based on how much time you have left on your subscription. If your subscription is about to run out then you can separately order a 1 month subscription. But a 12 month subscription costs so much cheaper than buying 12 x 1 month subscription.
Yh I've got about 4 months left so it gives me the option of upgrading that and then saying I've got to pay $120 or whatever it is for the next 12 months after sub ends. Am I reading it wrong? I want to play the cat game :tearsofjoy:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Yh I've got about 4 months left so it gives me the option of upgrading that and then saying I've got to pay $120 or whatever it is for the next 12 months after sub ends. Am I reading it wrong? I want to play the cat game :tearsofjoy:
I think that's just saying that you have to pay if you don't cancel before your months is up.

Cat game is cool. I finished it in about 4 hours so it's pretty short, but cool game.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think that's just saying that you have to pay if you don't cancel before your months is up.

Cat game is cool. I finished it in about 4 hours so it's pretty short, but cool game.
Hopefully it works like that, not worth having it long-term but good for a couple of months as there's a few good games. GOT is another I still haven't played and it's on there.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
@Hacky McAxe You were right, fuck Sony make this confusing though. Even right until the confirmation page it was saying I was buying a 12 month subscription. Anyway 4 months for $18 is decent, would've sucked if I stacked my subscription for years lol

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hey Dudes, i need to upgrade my main PC as it's getting old.

My questions is, do i keep it as is and do something else, I mainly use it to print random crap, Boaridng passes etc. and not a lot else as i have a Mac Book pro that i use for online shopping.

the only other main use i have it for is for my Plex Server, i ahve a 4TB drive conencted to it that has all my Movies and TV shows on it.

what other way can i have it connected to my TV? is a NUC a good idea, i probably need to backup my drive and i have 2TB worth of stuff on it and i lost them about 12 months ago, but luckily my boss was sub leasing to an IT company and he saved all my shit, but if it happens again im screwed.

what can i do?

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

My questions is, do i keep it as is and do something else, I mainly use it to print random crap, Boaridng passes etc. and not a lot else as i have a Mac Book pro that i use for online shopping.

the only other main use i have it for is for my Plex Server, i ahve a 4TB drive conencted to it that has all my Movies and TV shows on it.

what other way can i have it connected to my TV? is a NUC a good idea, i probably need to backup my drive and i have 2TB worth of stuff on it and i lost them about 12 months ago, but luckily my boss was sub leasing to an IT company and he saved all my shit, but if it happens again im screwed.

what can i do?
It doesn't sound like you need it for anything too complex as printing boarding passes is pretty basic so you can keep your existing PC for that.

However why don't you purchase a 4TB USB3.0 external hard drive? Powered by USB so you just plug it in your TV and play. They're pretty cheap these days:

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That's what i have plugged into my PC now, but as it's my plex server it needs to be on 24/7 because it's old it is starting to have issues so i wanted to remove the Plex component of it all together somehow

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

what can i do?
NUCs are OK but they have their limits. Due to low processing power, they have some issues with any file that needs to decode. That said, if you got a NUC with a USB C or USB-3 connection and hooked up a hard drive, then you could run it directly off that without issue. Alternatively look at getting a small PC hooked directly to the TV.

I personally store all my stuff on my PC then stream it to the Plex app on my TV and I don't have issues unless I'm trying to stream a ridiculously large file. But if you're only using it for media stuff and you're only streaming it to that TV, then you may be better off building a cheap HTPC or small PC, moving all the storage drives to that, then hooking it directly to the TV. The downside though is that you usually end up having to use keyboard and mouse. There is ways around that though with certain equipment.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As my Samsung TV is old, i use the Google TV and Chromecast that is connected to that TV.

But the PC in questions needs to be online all the time, so was wondering if there was a better way

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
As my Samsung TV is old, i use the Google TV and Chromecast that is connected to that TV.

But the PC in questions needs to be online all the time, so was wondering if there was a better way
Not really. The only other option is to store all your stuff on a NAS which uses less energy, but still runs all the time and usually will end up with encoding issues due to the crappy CPU in the NAS

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Or just use a NUC attached to the TV with external hard drive attached to the NUC. That way it's only on when the TV is on. But as I said, you have the issue of using a wireless keyboard/mouse. There's many decent media keyboards, but it's still a keyboard.

MattyB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
so does the TV need to be on for me to use the app on my phone, or because the NUC is always online it will work

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
so does the TV need to be on for me to use the app on my phone, or because the NUC is always online it will work
It's similar to a PC. You can set it to go in standby mode while your TV is off, but generally it stays on as it's powered by another source.