Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
True, but building a computer isn't just building a computer.

I've seen some absolutely shit build over the years, and some absolutely brilliant ones. If you crack the side on any of my builds for example, the wiring is normally meticulous.
I haven't built my own computer in years and I reckon the next time I get a rig, it might be an Alienware or MSI one. It might cost a few hundred dollars extra to get one of those rigs that's ready to go, but it'll last a good 5 years and will save me a lot of hassle.

Owey

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
True, but building a computer isn't just building a computer.

I've seen some absolutely shit build over the years, and some absolutely brilliant ones. If you crack the side on any of my builds for example, the wiring is normally meticulous.
Happy to take any tips you can give Mr I.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I haven't built my own computer in years and I reckon the next time I get a rig, it might be an Alienware or MSI one. It might cost a few hundred dollars extra to get one of those rigs that's ready to go, but it'll last a good 5 years and will save me a lot of hassle.
Alienware is just overpriced Dell stuff with a "gaming flavour". MSI stuff isn't too bad.

Happy to take any tips you can give Mr I.
You're taking advice from someone that owns a depinning tool (which enables customised heat shrinking / webbing of cables) :D

Quality parts make a quality machine. Modular power supplies help reduce cable bulk, whilst quality fans move airflow though the case quietly. It all starts with a decent case that leads itself to decent airflow as well as cabling. Airflow is crucial for keeping components cool (hence increasing longevity and reliability). Decent cabling kept out of airflow, means better airflow as well.

Coolermasters Mastercase 5 (or Corsair Obsidian xxxD) cases are a good place to start (depending if you do or don't need optical drives - as Mastercase you need an optional part to fit 5 1/4 drives into them).

Intels Thermal Chassis dynamics (albeit slightly outdated these days), use the principle of air in at the front (and side if possible), and vented both out the rear and top as exhaust. Balance that with decent fans, and if you create the right air pressure in the case, dust will be minimal too.

From there it's just building smart, keeping things as clean and tidy as possible, using the right screws (I've seen this done wrong so many times), and ensuring that the crews ground the motherboard to the chassis/case.

Most of all ensure things are accessible if you ever need to change them/replace them.

I've seen boxes slapped together poorly with cheap parts, or even shit like twisty ties/rubber bands left inside them to try and tidy cables. Those are the worst.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
This is my old XP PC gaming rig. Probably about 6-8 years old, and rarely used. Based on a Lian Li case. Ignore the scribblings, they are due to a 4 disk dual RAID 1 setup :D.

upload_2018-11-13_17-24-6.png

This ones based off an Antec 900 case, and purely used as a Virtual Machine Server for my test rig. Probably 5 years old this one is.

upload_2018-11-13_17-25-23.png

and this one is based off the Coolermaster Mastercase 5 (one of my newer builds). Probably 2 years old but built from spare parts. Will eventually be all blacked out and probably end up the PC for my driving sim. Note how clean the cabling is.

upload_2018-11-13_17-26-9.png

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
@south of heaven Fanatec Black Friday Special just came in via email:

If I had the money I'd be all over this!!

Offer 4 of 5
The “Most Popular” Bundle including:

1. CSL Elite Wheel Base + Officially Licensed for PS4™
  2. CSL Elite Steering Wheel McLaren GT3
  3. ClubSport Quick Release Adapter
  4. ClubSport Steering Wheel Universal Hub for Xbox One
  5. ClubSport Steering Wheel GT
  6. CSL Elite Pedals LC (includes Loadcell Kit)
At an unbeatable price of 1599.90 AUD.
I was hoping they dropped the price of the inverted pedals like last year..

Wahesh

Reaction score
In GTA VC I'm up to the Haitian/Cuban gang wars part. I never remembered them being so damn hard. Naval wars. Picking up drugs then having a 5 star warrant level. Using remote control planes hard as fuck to control to drop bombs on boats. FFS. Nearly done with these missions then I buy print works (BEST missions), then we'll be coming at the end of the game.

Then... GTA San Andreas begins @K E

Reactions: K E

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
In GTA VC I'm up to the Haitian/Cuban gang wars part. I never remembered them being so damn hard. Naval wars. Picking up drugs then having a 5 star warrant level. Using remote control planes hard as fuck to control to drop bombs on boats. FFS. Nearly done with these missions then I buy print works (BEST missions), then we'll be coming at the end of the game.

Then... GTA San Andreas begins @K E
I still maintain that GTA: SA is the best game ever made.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I still maintain that GTA: SA is the best game ever made.
I finished Vice City over the weekend. Bloody hell I never remembered the last mission being so hard. I was always getting killed. Little did I know that you can actually escape the mansion mid-fight, go down, collect health and armor. So I did this but always got plowed by Lance the chicken shit on the roof. So I tried it again and chased Lance up to the roof, BUT... when he went there, I went down and left the mansion, got a car, and drove over to that roof top near Mitch Bakers club house and went onto the roof of a nearby building, got into a helicopter, then flew back to the mansion. This time I was able to access the rooftop from the other side. Blindsided them all with the minigun. Then went back into the house and MINI-GUNNED THE FUCK OUT OF SONNY FORELLI!

Fat ugly fuck!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I finished Vice City over the weekend. Bloody hell I never remembered the last mission being so hard. I was always getting killed. Little did I know that you can actually escape the mansion mid-fight, go down, collect health and armor. So I did this but always got plowed by Lance the chicken shit on the roof. So I tried it again and chased Lance up to the roof, BUT... when he went there, I went down and left the mansion, got a car, and drove over to that roof top near Mitch Bakers club house and went onto the roof of a nearby building, got into a helicopter, then flew back to the mansion. This time I was able to access the rooftop from the other side. Blindsided them all with the minigun. Then went back into the house and MINI-GUNNED THE FUCK OUT OF SONNY FORELLI!

Fat ugly fuck!

Those polygons...!!

Those sharp angles!!

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score

Opinions, @Mr Invisible, @Hacky McAxe, @south of heaven and anyone else who knows their stuff.

Wanted an i7 and a better graphics card but I was told this is a good start for a gaming pc. I can always upgrade it in the future.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score

Opinions, @Mr Invisible, @Hacky McAxe, @south of heaven and anyone else who knows their stuff.

Wanted an i7 and a better graphics card but I was told this is a good start for a gaming pc. I can always upgrade it in the future.
Depends what gaming you going to do , check out what games you think you will get into suss out the min specs on them

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Depends what gaming you going to do , check out what games you think you will get into suss out the min specs on them
GTA V and flight sim, mostly.

Not worried about shooters or playing online.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Hmm flight sim needs a bit of grunt, but depends how far you want to go with it,
CPU wise or graphic card wise? Or both?

I'm happy to just run it with a smooth frame rate for now.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

I'd still go for a better graphics card. Don't worry too much about getting an i7.

You'll also need another hard drive. The SSD is good for operating system and a few games but it'll fill up fast.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Ignore the minimum spec. Some games are unplayable on minimum spec. I wouldn't go below recommended spec now days with exception of the CPU.