Computer/Console Talk/Gaming Super Thread

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Think you're alone there. The games I'm looking forward to are Jedi Fallen Order this week and Doom Eternal next week.
Not really into the Star wars games but Doom Eternal can take my money :tongueclosed:

Still haven't open my copy of COD MW yet or Need For Speed Heat. I buy these games then let them sit around for weeks before I finally get round to playing them.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not really into the Star wars games but Doom Eternal can take my money :tongueclosed:

Still haven't open my copy of COD MW yet or Need For Speed Heat. I buy these games then let them sit around for weeks before I finally get round to playing them.
The Doom remake was one of my favourite games of all time. Too much fun.

The new Star Wars game is apparently much like Dark Souls which is one of my favourite game series. So really looking forward to it

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Speaking of favourite game series. Apparently the next Assassin's Creed will be called AC: Kingdom and it'll focus on Vikings. Which is interesting considering that every the last few Assassin's Creeds have worked backwards through time to the dawn of the Assassins then the Dawn of the Templars. I figured the next Assassin's Creed would focus on the Isu and the dawn of Humanity.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Doom remake was one of my favourite games of all time. Too much fun.

The new Star Wars game is apparently much like Dark Souls which is one of my favourite game series. So really looking forward to it
Yeah I loved the Doom remake too, and Eternal looks just as good.

See, that would turn me off Star Wars without the fact that it's Star Wars. Never got in Dark Souls or Bloodbourne as I'm not really into grinding games and the fact that I got constantly rapped by the enemies. If I had a dollar for everytime I seen the "you died" screen, well I would be moderately richer.

Speaking of favourite game series. Apparently the next Assassin's Creed will be called AC: Kingdom and it'll focus on Vikings. Which is interesting considering that every the last few Assassin's Creeds have worked backwards through time to the dawn of the Assassins then the Dawn of the Templars. I figured the next Assassin's Creed would focus on the Isu and the dawn of Humanity.
Vikings, I can roll with that.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
For anyone curious, Jedi Fallen Order is amazing. It's like a cross between Uncharted and Dark Souls (but you can change the difficulty to make it easier)

Hit a few bugs though but nothing game breaking and the game is still excellent.

Also, Doom Eternal has been pushed back until March next year. So there's no good games coming out until next year. Which gives me a chance to catch up on my pile of shame.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
For anyone curious, Jedi Fallen Order is amazing. It's like a cross between Uncharted and Dark Souls (but you can change the difficulty to make it easier)

Hit a few bugs though but nothing game breaking and the game is still excellent.

Also, Doom Eternal has been pushed back until March next year. So there's no good games coming out until next year. Which gives me a chance to catch up on my pile of shame.
Looks at my unopened AC Odyssey

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Anyone know much about Google nest wifi? Is it worth it or are there better things available at a similar price? Have too switch over to the NBN soon before they cut our current service :sob:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone know much about Google nest wifi? Is it worth it or are there better things available at a similar price? Have too switch over to the NBN soon before they cut our current service :sob:
Been using it for a while. Works great. There are alternatives around the same price but I haven't tested them.

The one thing you have to keep in mind is that it doesn't work well if it's behind another router. So for NBN it works well for FTTP but not so good for FTTN unless you have a router that you can bridge and you know what you're doing. It'll still work on FTTN without bridge mode but it creates a double NAT which can be problematic especially if you're a gamer.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Been using it for a while. Works great. There are alternatives around the same price but I haven't tested them.

The one thing you have to keep in mind is that it doesn't work well if it's behind another router. So for NBN it works well for FTTP but not so good for FTTN unless you have a router that you can bridge and you know what you're doing. It'll still work on FTTN without bridge mode but it creates a double NAT which can be problematic especially if you're a gamer.
We got HFC in the area so that's pretty much FTTN yh? So it won't be as simple as plugging it into the NBN box and going from there? Lol

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We got HFC in the area so that's pretty much FTTN yh? So it won't be as simple as plugging it into the NBN box and going from there? Lol
Yep. Need to make sure you get a modem/router that you can bridge then you need to bridge it. Not too difficult, but you also lose a lot of features. For example, you can't use the phone section of the NBN with a bridged router.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep. Need to make sure you get a modem/router that you can bridge then you need to bridge it. Not too difficult, but you also lose a lot of features. For example, you can't use the phone section of the NBN with a bridged router.
True. Will look around some more this arvo, want to try and get one while the sales are still up as some are heavily discounted. Though I'm assuming the heavily discounted ones are probably older models from years ago

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
@Hacky McAxe this a decent router? https://www.mwave.com.au/product/ra...xekkQZre7osOC5ig6S15c2K9C9yhkpJBoClkkQAvD_BwE

Don't really want to spend more than $250 as I don't really think I need to. House is single story and open plan so there isn't many walls it has to fight through so I don't think I need to spend much more. Just don't want my PS4 to shit itself if I'm not playing wired because controller will end up in the wall.
Yep. Good router, but it's only a router so if you have FTTN then you still need a modem with bridge mode to connect it to.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yep. Good router, but it's only a router so if you have FTTN then you still need a modem with bridge mode to connect it to.
Isn't the NBN supplied box going to be a modem? Man this is a hassle, why can't I just have 5G lol.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Isn't the NBN supplied box going to be a modem? Man this is a hassle, why can't I just have 5G lol.
If you have an NBN supplied box then you have FTTP. If that's the case then the router is fine. If you have FTTN then it's similar to ADSL. You need a modem that plugs into the phone line in the wall.

They didn't make it easy.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
If you have an NBN supplied box then you have FTTP. If that's the case then the router is fine. If you have FTTN then it's similar to ADSL. You need a modem that plugs into the phone line in the wall.

They didn't make it easy.
I have HFC. The NBN supplied box plugs into the Foxtel line...so basically if NBN supplies a box then that's the modem? If no box is supplied then I need modem?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@Hacky McAxe this a decent router? https://www.mwave.com.au/product/ra...xekkQZre7osOC5ig6S15c2K9C9yhkpJBoClkkQAvD_BwE

Don't really want to spend more than $250 as I don't really think I need to. House is single story and open plan so there isn't many walls it has to fight through so I don't think I need to spend much more. Just don't want my PS4 to shit itself if I'm not playing wired because controller will end up in the wall.
Razer aren't really known for making routers. Mainly peripherals (mice and keyboards)... didn't even know they made routers.

Decent quality Netgear like the R6400 is all you need (https://www.mwave.com.au/product/netgear-r6400-ac1750-dual-band-gigabit-smart-wifi-router-ac08703).

In your case you'll be going:
NBNCo NTD / Network Terminating Device (something like the black Arris CM8200) >> CONNECTING TO >> WAN on ISP Modem/Router setup in bridge mode >> CONNECTING TO >> WAN on Netgear or equivalent router.
Network devices then connect either to wireless or LAN on Netgear/Equivalent Router.

At home my setup is a little different as my LAN on Netgear Wifi Router then connects back into a 24 port Gigabit switch.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Razer aren't really known for making routers. Mainly peripherals (mice and keyboards)... didn't even know they made routers.

Decent quality Netgear like the R6400 is all you need (https://www.mwave.com.au/product/netgear-r6400-ac1750-dual-band-gigabit-smart-wifi-router-ac08703).

In your case you'll be going:
NBNCo NTD / Network Terminating Device (something like the black Arris CM8200) >> CONNECTING TO >> WAN on ISP Modem/Router setup in bridge mode >> CONNECTING TO >> WAN on Netgear or equivalent router.
Network devices then connect either to wireless or LAN on Netgear/Equivalent Router.

At home my setup is a little different as my LAN on Netgear Wifi Router then connects back into a 24 port Gigabit switch.
Yh I was surprised to see they made them also. Normally I'd look to a more experienced and trusted brand but the feedback has been someone decent and it has my attention. Anyway might not have to buy one now, my sister said they have some at work that she can take so I'll give it a go.

Ended up going with Superloop while they have the deal going on ATM, no lock in contract so I can leave anytime if they don't live up to expectations.