Official Competition Update 10am Sunday

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Warriors announced they staying in Aus or they would be out of comp. hopefully means we are playing on
That’s all we want, as long as the comp kicks on, an Warriors keep losing its happy days :hearteyes:

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We have taken the action at work by telling employees to minimise necessary face to face contact, take any precautions that they feel necessary for their own and their families well being. That work still goes on, we are not closing the company and that we have obligations that need to be met. I'd expect the NRL has done the same judging by the words used at this morning's press conference. If a player doesn't want to play then they shouldn't play, if they want to play and isolate themselves from, say, elder or sick relatives, then that's their call. There is personal responsibly here.

Go Dogs

Farcanrefs

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
How can’t the NRL have insurance for a shutdown? The mismanagement that has gone on for years could kill the game.
There are very few (if any) policies that cover the possibility of a pandemic. The risk to insurers would be enormous. Travel insurance policies are unlikely to respond to cover persons impacted by the pandemic. Those who have booked overseas travel will be at the mercy of the airlines and tour operators.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
they could easily drop several rounds without causing to many issues, allow all teams to play each 1 time during the season and drop origin nrl will be bowing down to fox and 9 and wanting to push on with games, than expect a government handout for no crowds

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We have taken the action at work by telling employees to minimise necessary face to face contact, take any precautions that they feel necessary for their own and their families well being. That work still goes on, we are not closing the company and that we have obligations that need to be met. I'd expect the NRL has done the same judging by the words used at this morning's press conference. If a player doesn't want to play then they shouldn't play, if they want to play and isolate themselves from, say, elder or sick relatives, then that's their call. There is personal responsibly here.

Go Dogs
The problem is Twin Turbo, you can't have a competition where one of the teams can't play home games or see their families, sleep in their own beds etc and you also can't expect teams to continue playing without key players who are struck down by the virus or who choose not to play for fear of getting infected.

You talk about offices trying to minimise face to face contact or people getting too close to each other, well a bunch of guys tackling, laying, bleeding and sweating all over each other flies in the face of the recommendations from the WHO.

It's only a matter of time til the season is put on hold so they're just delaying the inevitable.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The problem is Twin Turbo, you can't have a competition where one of the teams can't play home games or see their families, sleep in their own beds etc and you also can't expect teams to continue playing without key players who are struck down by the virus or who choose not to play for fear of getting infected.

You talk about offices trying to minimise face to face contact or people getting too close to each other, well a bunch of guys tackling, laying, bleeding and sweating all over each other flies in the face of the recommendations from the WHO.

It's only a matter of time til the season is put on hold so they're just delaying the inevitable.
Personally i think we may suspend the comp for a period. If measures taken cause a rethink later on we may end up with a 16rd comp at the most if were lucky

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There buying some time that's what there doing. They know the comp needs to shut down. But if they shut it down and the government doesn't bail them out then there fucked. By playing next week there buying themselves some time to speak to the government and see if they get a handout.

If government says no which they might then the nrl has to either keep playing or tell the players no one gets paid tell this thing is over. Players have to agree to not get paid until it's over otherwise nrl will fold.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
There buying some time that's what there doing. They know the comp needs to shut down. But if they shut it down and the government doesn't bail them out then there fucked. By playing next week there buying themselves some time to speak to the government and see if they get a handout.

If government says no which they might then the nrl has to either keep playing or tell the players no one gets paid tell this thing is over. Players have to agree to not get paid until it's over otherwise nrl will fold.
Just keep playing I say, for as long as they can, every week is a bonus for fans/media/etc.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I understand all of that. It's a fucked situation to be in. But i don't see how it's fair to the Warriors for the reasons I listed as well as Herbert and Hiku heading home to be with their partners as they have infant children or kids on the way they want to be home with..

So how do the Warriors replace two members of their backline when their Reserves team is back in NZ and Australia will now adopt a mandatory two week quarantine for anyone flying into the country? Will they have to play two Q Cup players? My point is it's a massive disadvantage to the Warriors.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
They may have to lockdown players and then keep them quarantined to only train and play the game? Does not sound realistic - wtf - there is no way we can know how this will unfold - but it sure looks as though every sporting code is going to be screwed - eventually, even Golf

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Telling...

Pete says...

"I spent all day yesterday looking into our accounts and all I thought was 'catastrophic'," he said.