Opinion Comparison vs Parramatta: Wingers (cap management)

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
How can you sit there and say we didn't have a plan B and it was all Barba...? We made the GF 2 years later without him. Des is the best coach we've had since 2005 whether you like it or not.

Jabba

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree with this thread. If we had good forwards and a top tier spine we could make the finals with my sister playing on the wing.
Look at Sean Russell (Parra debut vs Dogs). He scored two tries where all he had to do was catch the last pass.
Johnson and Mitch Kenny to be announced soon- no big deal

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Fuck me Ray. What's your next whinge going to be about?

We did well in Des' first year because a bloke by the name of Ben Barba set the NRL alight. 2012 was about Barba. In the end Des had no plan B in the GF.

And in case you haven't noticed we're in this mess because of Des.

So I guess you're unhappy with the prospect of Cotric and Fox on the wing next year?

So please tell us who the Dogs should be chasing apart from Smith?
He had a great point which I think you missed entirely! What he said was spot on to be honest.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Fox is a great get..DWZ and Cotric should never have been top priorities, but the deals are done now. At least Barrett has been able to offload DWZ.
Signed one of the best young halves in the game.... I’m sure we have been trying to get Smith. You can’t always get who you want. I’m sure we are on the lookout for a hooker and forwards. We’re not just going to get all the missing pieces of the puzzle overnight. Having said that, I think Barrett should be looking at some short term solutions to add experience while we continue to look for long term options.

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Parra are pretenders just like every other team apart from the Storm and maybe Penrith.
Penrith are better than the storm, IMO. They beat themselves last year. They will be competing with themselves again in this year’s finals series... the only team that can beat Penrith is Penrith. Assuming their key players stay fit.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
fergo destroyed our mounties team hell be back id say

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Nasheed here, OP you bring up an excellent point. something i think about alot. u fly.

No other team in history invests 1.3 mil in wingers.
Its always been the one position you can slot the min wage player in to help with other positions.

Be fast, jump high and catch well and youre a good nrl winger. They are everywhere.

We have a highly paid backline and as a result, we are starved of a spibe, and will need to choose between a star hooker, prop or fb. Cant have them all. Its 1 of the 3 and one modest shrewd signing in the other then we maxxxed.

Best case scenario now is:
Brandon Smith /Tapau/ Meaney. Hooker-prop-FB.

And this is on the assumption we do some good sales work to get Tapau cheap, which would probably mean a secure three year deal and pray manly top up yr 1. Risky

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Did both bulldogs wingers finish the game ??
But aside from that I thought wing Katoa had his best game for us until his head knock

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be fast, jump high and catch well and youre a good nrl winger. They are everywhere.
Well no one should have any complaints about Meaney then.

In case you haven’t been watching NRL for the last 5 or so years, wingers also need to be able to make 100-200m running the ball out in defence, be able to read defence well on their line, and contort themselves into all sorts of positions to score in the corner.

Cotric was our first big signing, no surprise we had to pay overs. And signing a test winger that is one of the fastest in the league doesn’t come for chump change. Would it have been preferable to get them for 300k each? Of course, but not realistic.

We have had plenty of cheap wingers recently. Montoya was one, he looked ok in his debut year but quickly turned to garbage. Plenty of players do that. CC played ok at Pennies, never for us.

Be happy we have some quality at last

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Well no one should have any complaints about Meaney then.

In case you haven’t been watching NRL for the last 5 or so years, wingers also need to be able to make 100-200m running the ball out in defence, be able to read defence well on their line, and contort themselves into all sorts of positions to score in the corner.

Cotric was our first big signing, no surprise we had to pay overs. And signing a test winger that is one of the fastest in the league doesn’t come for chump change. Would it have been preferable to get them for 300k each? Of course, but not realistic.

We have had plenty of cheap wingers recently. Montoya was one, he looked ok in his debut year but quickly turned to garbage. Plenty of players do that. CC played ok at Pennies, never for us.

Be happy we have some quality at last
I do dawg, and I dig Cotric and JAC.
But imma be real with u.
Let’s play hypothetical yo and pretend we swapped out 650 Cotric with say, 120k Nene McDonald or Anthony Don.

They don’t be in Cotric league I know it, but they will probably do the job.
650 Cotric money minus 120k Don money = 530.
530 gets us Martin Tapau probably.
Then we get our Marquee hooker, semi marquee prop, Sj and then have a smart 500 left over to distribute on a Matt Duffy hooker, or a quality back rower.
Feel my menstrual flow?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Parra had one winger making their debut and the other with a handful of fg games in their win over us.

Here at the Bulldogs we spend millions on wingers and neglect key positions.
Let’s not go this path…

Melbourne could have a wax dummy on the wing and score tries. It’s starts and finishes with motivated forwards and a quality spine.

Decent wingers are needed nowadays, they are more important than centre’s..

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How can you sit there and say we didn't have a plan B and it was all Barba...? We made the GF 2 years later without him. Des is the best coach we've had since 2005 whether you like it or not.
Some people are so dumb, with Des we made 2 GF, he did it by Back ending players contracts, IE. in case you don't know is like borrowing money which has to be paid back.
NOW WE ARE STILL PAYING BACK, BECAUSE OF THE BACKENDED DEALS AND PAYING PLAYERS TO PLAY AGAINST US WE BECAME A BASKET CASE AND AS A RESULT WE HAVE TO PAY OVERS EVEN FOR DUDS.
BTW, a good coach has the club at heart long term, that means taking an interest in its Juniors.

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do dawg, and I dig Cotric and JAC.
But imma be real with u.
Let’s play hypothetical yo and pretend we swapped out 650 Cotric with say, 120k Nene McDonald or Anthony Don.

They don’t be in Cotric league I know it, but they will probably do the job.
650 Cotric money minus 120k Don money = 530.
530 gets us Martin Tapau probably.
Then we get our Marquee hooker, semi marquee prop, Sj and then have a smart 500 left over to distribute on a Matt Duffy hooker, or a quality back rower.
Feel my menstrual flow?
Eww.

Some of your player choices I can’t agree with but I get the sentiment.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Signing wingers isnt the problem. Our problem is that a couple of the forwards we signed were absolutely terrible. Waddell, Stimson, Britt, Napa were all a waste of money. Elliott resigning looks to be costly as well. Hetherington is overpaid for what he offers and he is a ticking time bomb. It's not that we spent too much on backs, its that the money we did spend on forwards isnt paying dividends. Other than Thompson and Ava, we havent brought in any quality forwards.