Cogger

True Blue

old dog
Reaction score
I have always Been a supporter of his. Seems like a true halfback. Not a game breaker or a origin player. But he is on a very modest contract. He is Blake green minus 12 years experience.

I have stated a few times he reminds me of Mitch Healey from sharks from a few decades ago. Not magnificent at anything. But willing to throw his body in front of A prop to slow them down. Can dummy and break the line. Has that 1-2 steps of pace to find a gap. Has a halfbacks short kicking game (Shame we persist with kicking out wide instead of using a short kicking game to avoid 7 tackle sets)

can throw a cut out. Can take on the line.

Like I said he is no halfback of the year candidate. But is a role player and doesn’t play hero ball. I’m surprised other players don’t get annoyed at Lewis’ playing style. He can’t hit a player on the chest unless it’s addo carr. He can’t break the line yet touches the ball almost every tackle. And his kicks never find grass. Yet Lewis has been the incumbent half pretty much the past 3 years. And any time he gets dropped he always returns a week or two later. Yet when he comes into the team he always gets a month or 2 before getting the hook again.

giving cogger 8 nrl games in a row I’m sure he’d show basic halfback skills. Something Lewis hasn’t done in 3 years.
Critical point is that you said he is like Blake Green minus 12 years experience......we need to be prepared to give him a little game time to develop and so far that has not happened. He will never be a star half, but could develop into a very sound player......give him the opportunity..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not looking for an argument on this. But Cogger showed two things today that none of the other young halves had in numerous games.

The first thing was that he can pick when to run it himself. He's scored a few tries in limited games here with it and today his line break set one up.

Second thing he showed was that he's thinking on the field. You'd think that in a field goal position, Foran should be in place to try it. I know Foz twisted his ankle earlier. But he wasn't the one who positioned himself for the FG attempt. Also saw that Cogger picked the right pass on his line break. It just looked instinctive that he did it. His kicks also found some grass and allowed our defence to get there.

I'm not touting him for rep duties at present. But out of the 4 halves we've played this year he and Foran are the only two that seem to be good at reading the game. I really think Cogger has a bright future based on the limited games he's been a starting half for us. I'm expecting an astute coach will pick him up if Barrett doesn't want him and give him the game time he needs to establish himself. If he moves on a lot of people will be screaming that he's one that got away.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Felt he played well enough to gain selection next week.
I was happy to see him playing as a traditional style halfback and getting the basics right.
I was really tiring of the awkward style of Lewis.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Critical point is that you said he is like Blake Green minus 12 years experience......we need to be prepared to give him a little game time to develop and so far that has not happened. He will never be a star half, but could develop into a very sound player......give him the opportunity..
Totally agree. He was brought in. Yet we pumped 35 games into Lewis. While this guy has been in and out of the team and never given a shot to show what he can do consistently. Even though he has shown glimpses he can do a proper job as a halfback. The club and the kennel wanked over Lewis for tackling burgess but letting in simple try’s that used sweeping line movements. He would also run up out of the line to make a tackle and opposition teams would score of the next play.

I have said numerous times cogger isn’t a top 3 halfback. But he doesn’t pretend to be. When he is in the team without Lewis we have a better structure. We are much more balanced. And we don’t have Lewis touching the ball 4 times a set playing hero ball. He can set up his outside men. He can break the line. He can find grass with his kicks. All of which Lewis can’t.

Yet this guy has been giving 3-4 then dropped for a long time. Brought back on the bench and hasn’t been put into games. Then comes on as a hooker in the last 10 mins. How can any young player prove himself. Let alone a half, under those conditions.

Sad thing to is the our only half’s that have any sort of ability to do Anything are the ones that will most likely leave. While we have Lewis that will walk back into the team next week and has been extended. Shocking to think that the board has been the one telling the coach Lewis needs to be in the team. Lewis is the new Holland under Hasler who kept on telling everyone at the club he was a “gun”.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Not looking for an argument on this. But Cogger showed two things today that none of the other young halves had in numerous games.

The first thing was that he can pick when to run it himself. He's scored a few tries in limited games here with it and today his line break set one up.

Second thing he showed was that he's thinking on the field. You'd think that in a field goal position, Foran should be in place to try it. I know Foz twisted his ankle earlier. But he wasn't the one who positioned himself for the FG attempt. Also saw that Cogger picked the right pass on his line break. It just looked instinctive that he did it. His kicks also found some grass and allowed our defence to get there.

I'm not touting him for rep duties at present. But out of the 4 halves we've played this year he and Foran are the only two that seem to be good at reading the game. I really think Cogger has a bright future based on the limited games he's been a starting half for us. I'm expecting an astute coach will pick him up if Barrett doesn't want him and give him the game time he needs to establish himself. If he moves on a lot of people will be screaming that he's one that got away.
He is getting some shit for taking the FG attempt , but it was the right option, if he kicks it the same people are calling him a world beater.
Lewis in the same position throws a cut out pass that knocks out a dogs supporter in row 13. He does need to work on his defence but so does the rest of the team. I hope he is still here when barret arrives.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Behind a beaten pack I thought he was outstanding

His general kicking finding grass and line break/try assist I haven’t seen in ages from a Dogs 7

He’s a genuine halfback and the Lewis experiment has to end now

I don’t blame him for the missed Fg obviously we don’t train for it and the set up was diabolical

We stopped trying to win and played not to lose

Two missed FG gave them 7 tackles and effectively they scored 7 points from it including the game winner FG

Hindsight a beautiful thing but pegging them on their line and backing our D to close the game was a better option

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
If we mashed Lewis, Cogger and Wakeham together they would make a decent half.

WFC03

Waterboy
Reaction score
Behind a beaten pack I thought he was outstanding

His general kicking finding grass and line break/try assist I haven’t seen in ages from a Dogs 7

He’s a genuine halfback and the Lewis experiment has to end now

I don’t blame him for the missed Fg obviously we don’t train for it and the set up was diabolical

We stopped trying to win and played not to lose

Two missed FG gave them 7 tackles and effectively they scored 7 points from it including the game winner FG

Hindsight a beautiful thing but pegging them on their line and backing our D to close the game was a better option
No he is far from decent. He was responsible for their 1st and last tries. And if he is such a great organizer how on the last tackle when you are a right foot kicker do you “organize” for the last play the ball to leave you kicking from the right of the posts?
Brooks is an average half and yet he was able to get his team to set him up to kick from the left as a right footer on the first attempt

Save money and just let his contract expire. This was our best chance to win in a long time against a team that got smashed the week before. We had all the ball early and yet did nothing with it. When will our halves learn to kick in behind of rushing defenses? They talk about playing heads up football but I am not sure they know what that means.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Terry Lamb was great because he did the little things well. That comes from experience. Give Cogger time, and he will fit in well with the team. We have some troops already who can win games for us, they just need solid support from their spine.

Sloth

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I liked that we didn’t really crumble and still looked good in our attack when Foran was off for a little bit.
He was solid and showed some great signs
would love to see him in for the rest of the year.