Cogger

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
I’m excited to see how he goes on the weekend. Hopefully he’s given a proper shot this year to see if has what it takes to play at first grade level.
100% we should be extending his contract. Hope he has a great game. However last time he played was against the Tigers, he had a good game at hooker and was dropped the following week... So yeah with our shit coaching staff I'm not holding my breath for a fair outcome for Jack.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd love to see him at Hooker. He could be the answer.
Halves make good attacking hookers.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have always Been a supporter of his. Seems like a true halfback. Not a game breaker or a origin player. But he is on a very modest contract. He is Blake green minus 12 years experience.

I have stated a few times he reminds me of Mitch Healey from sharks from a few decades ago. Not magnificent at anything. But willing to throw his body in front of A prop to slow them down. Can dummy and break the line. Has that 1-2 steps of pace to find a gap. Has a halfbacks short kicking game (Shame we persist with kicking out wide instead of using a short kicking game to avoid 7 tackle sets)

can throw a cut out. Can take on the line.

Like I said he is no halfback of the year candidate. But is a role player and doesn’t play hero ball. I’m surprised other players don’t get annoyed at Lewis’ playing style. He can’t hit a player on the chest unless it’s addo carr. He can’t break the line yet touches the ball almost every tackle. And his kicks never find grass. Yet Lewis has been the incumbent half pretty much the past 3 years. And any time he gets dropped he always returns a week or two later. Yet when he comes into the team he always gets a month or 2 before getting the hook again.

giving cogger 8 nrl games in a row I’m sure he’d show basic halfback skills. Something Lewis hasn’t done in 3 years.

DogsOfWar1704

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
He can score a try aswell. He scored 4 or so last year didn’t he?

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: touted as big thing , junior nsw team was built around him. He struggled but I feel we should have persisted with him. Hopefully gets another crack

ddt192

The Blue N White Butcher Stripe
Reaction score
Hope he goes well. Go you good thing

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah good luck hope he does well but another reserve grader that has given another chance like our whole team will probably fail then just recycle the reserve grade players again.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If I was Barrett I'd want Stevie G to persist with Cogger for a few rounds to see what he can offer in real game situations on a longer term. Of all our halfback experiments, this guy has had the least time to prove himself. He's been unfairly wasted as a reserve.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I was really hoping he'd get a decent run from early in the year. I think he's got the most well rounded game of all our young halves as an organising half. Hopefully he's not too underdone with no lower grades.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
If I was Barrett I'd want Stevie G to persist with Cogger for a few rounds to see what he can offer in real game situations on a longer term. Of all our halfback experiments, this guy has had the least time to prove himself. He's been unfairly wasted as a reserve.
As much as your point is valid. There's a point many here are not considering.
Of all the halves we have in our squad, there area ihky two without a contract next year.
Cogger and Foran.

Now every man and his dog in this forum wants an additional half in our squad. Flavour of the week is Burton, but Townsend, Milford, Sezer, Tyrone Roberts, Widdop, Maloney and Hastings have also been tossed up as options. Green too but he taken.

Now if we land one, let's just say Burton, as I know with 100% certainty he's been talking to the dogs, then who's lost is he replacing?
Foran?
Whatever you think of Foran, Burton could not take his spot. Foran represents the experienced established running half. Not the same role.

That leaves Cogger.

And this is my point. We cannot keep Cogger if we are in the half market next year. Unless we get Widdop to play Foran role.

This is the reason why I was very annoyed we resigned the little hoodrat Wakeham. We have effectively signed Coggers death warrant. Cogger wants to be with us, hence why he knocked back Newcastle's offer. We should have given him a run before we decided between him and the hoodrat.

Now we are forced to get rid of him should we sign someone in the halves.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I think he is the only genuine 7 we have. Has a good base to start with. Bigger upside than Lewis. Surprised he gets the least opportunities. Interesting part was when he last played and play hooker he was great. Showed great potential there than got dropped.. Like to see him on the ball like an old school 7. Hopefully he has a great game and cements his spot for the rest of the year.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
I think he is the only genuine 7 we have. Has a good base to start with. Bigger upside than Lewis. Surprised he gets the least opportunities. Interesting part was when he last played and play hooker he was great. Showed great potential there than got dropped.. Like to see him on the ball like an old school 7. Hopefully he has a great game and cements his spot for the rest of the year.
Lewis has more presence on the game. He doesn't blend in. He makes or breaks a game. He's a coaches dream because they see him and think they can mould him into superstardom.
It's why Barrett, Pay and Bellamy All froth over him.

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cogger couldn't even make the wooden spoon knights, what makes ppl think he will be a star.

He will play decent this week. Might set up a try or do something good but for most of the game will be basic as fuck. Lil bit better than what Lewis offers.

Next year , he should be 3rd or 4th string back up half if Barrett is able to snag some good recruitments.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I doubt Barrett is having any say. Georgalis is auditioning for a new coaching gig next year, so id expect he will be doing everything inchis powers to impress potential suiters. This imo wou would not include being a puppet for an incoming coach next year. I highly doubt that Barrett has made any such requests.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has not been given a fair go so far so I hope he is given a fair go this time, to me he has some attributes of a genuine half.
Meany who also came here from N.C. was rubbished from pillar to post by many. He has now proven that he isn't the worst FB in the NRL.
Lets not forget that we have signing superstars, we are no longer living in the 1980's.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cogger couldn't even make the wooden spoon knights, what makes ppl think he will be a star.

He will play decent this week. Might set up a try or do something good but for most of the game will be basic as fuck. Lil bit better than what Lewis offers.

Next year , he should be 3rd or 4th string back up half if Barrett is able to snag some good recruitments.
Sadly i agree. People claim that he simply hasnt been given enough time to prove himself, and Pay never gave him a decent run. Its as if he is this star halfback just begging to be picked tocshow the world how good he is. But in reality, he is just another average half in our squad. Is he better then Lewis? Probably. But he has not shown any amazing qualities to force his selection.
He may have a good game this weekend, and i have no doubt we will perform much better as a team after last weeks poor effort, but he is still an average half who is off contract at the end of the year.
Maybe he will surprise me and play out of his skin and cement his place for the rest of the year and earn another contract. But i highly doubt it.
If we are to drag ourselves off the bottom of the ladder we need a few superstars, or at least future ones. Cogger is not one.