Cogger or Brock Lamb

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't see the point in comparing them at this stage and even if we were comparing them I've only seen snippets of both.. They're completely different players and will sink or swim based on their own playing styles. At 21 they have both got a decent amount of experience already. But they're still not the first choice halves at Newcastle, so they both have work ahead of them to establish themselves. I hope Cogger takes some big steps in his development through the off-season, but realistically Lewis showed enough in his limited time to have stepped to the top of the pecking order.
I so agree. If there were 20 better halves running around than cogger not already contracted im sure the people in charge would of got them. There not all gonna be jt. He reminds me of matt orfard a little. Nothing brilliant but won as many or more premierships than jt orford did.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Lamb is the equivalent of a wiltered lettuce leaf left in the fridge for a month. Soggy, soppy, and you really just want to bin it.
Cogger is like a dirty piece of kale chucked in a basket ready to wash and eat.

Our club should have tapped the Knights deeper and looked at Tex Hoy or Hayden Loughery... both are looking like superstars in the making. Hence why Knights didn't give a fuck about losing Lamb or Cogger.

Plus they have Tristan Hazard, and Jack Johns.

Surplus of halves.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cogger should hopefully have a chance to hone his craft in NSW Cup without being thrown in first grade again before he is ready.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Having not seen a huge amount of Cogger, everything I've read about him suggests he's a decent general on field. If we wind up with him and Lewis in the halves at any stage, I'd be happy if Cogger sticks to organizing the game with the occasional attempted line break when a play is on. Lewis seems like the energetic type that injects himself with every chance he gets and has a decent kicking game. They could really compliment each other if Foran cops an injury. But people are going to have to learn to judge him on his strengths rather than just expecting a running half which is very popular and seems to be what people want on here. To some extent I think that halves that rely fully on the apparent moments of brilliance that running shows can be a bit selfish. I used to think Hokko got a bad wrap because he lacked an explosive running game, but made decisions and directed the play quite well. We've seen that a half can have a good running game but still be useless for the 98% of the game when they don't have an opportunity to shine with that side of their game with the years of Mbye. I think while Hokko was here the balance between high energy and an organizer was good with Reynolds alongside him, even at origin level. Reynolds didn't develop his kicking game a great deal until his last couple of years with us when the occasional grubber was thrown in along with the low cross field kick that Hasler seemed to love in attacking situations. I think the club has made a good decision in recruiting someone who's strength lies in presenting good opportunity to the players who just need good ball to shine. We as a fan base need to recognize that playmakers don't have to be polished finishers to benefit the side well.

We won't know for a while how good or bad a signing we've made and I suspect that people will be very quick to jump on anything they see as less than ideal play from Cogger. But if he can draw defenders to set up an outside back and put in kicks that add pressure in attacking situations he's got a skillset that we would do well to base our game plan on. Frawley in my opinion took too long to get set for kicks or he'd have ticked plenty of boxes for me. His kicking game was promising, but with a hooker that took forever to get a pass away he was always going to struggle for time. I hope Cogger can process what he sees developing in the defensive line and translate that into good choices most of the time. But it would be a big help to him if we get our hooking department on song with passing. I don't know that Lichaa has got the ability or inclination to offer the passing game needed. But hopefully if he doesn't show it again next year, pay can promote or develop someone that can give our players more time and direction. Our forwards don't seem to be able to hit the ball at pace like they can with a rep level hooker and likewise, our halves need the time to read the play to make the most impact.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cogger for sure. You can see he wants to be the general and has confidence. Just needs experience and he'll be fine. Lamb is more of a runner but doesn't have much impact.

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having not seen a huge amount of Cogger, everything I've read about him suggests he's a decent general on field. If we wind up with him and Lewis in the halves at any stage, I'd be happy if Cogger sticks to organizing the game with the occasional attempted line break when a play is on. Lewis seems like the energetic type that injects himself with every chance he gets and has a decent kicking game. They could really compliment each other if Foran cops an injury. But people are going to have to learn to judge him on his strengths rather than just expecting a running half which is very popular and seems to be what people want on here. To some extent I think that halves that rely fully on the apparent moments of brilliance that running shows can be a bit selfish. I used to think Hokko got a bad wrap because he lacked an explosive running game, but made decisions and directed the play quite well. We've seen that a half can have a good running game but still be useless for the 98% of the game when they don't have an opportunity to shine with that side of their game with the years of Mbye. I think while Hokko was here the balance between high energy and an organizer was good with Reynolds alongside him, even at origin level. Reynolds didn't develop his kicking game a great deal until his last couple of years with us when the occasional grubber was thrown in along with the low cross field kick that Hasler seemed to love in attacking situations. I think the club has made a good decision in recruiting someone who's strength lies in presenting good opportunity to the players who just need good ball to shine. We as a fan base need to recognize that playmakers don't have to be polished finishers to benefit the side well.

We won't know for a while how good or bad a signing we've made and I suspect that people will be very quick to jump on anything they see as less than ideal play from Cogger. But if he can draw defenders to set up an outside back and put in kicks that add pressure in attacking situations he's got a skillset that we would do well to base our game plan on. Frawley in my opinion took too long to get set for kicks or he'd have ticked plenty of boxes for me. His kicking game was promising, but with a hooker that took forever to get a pass away he was always going to struggle for time. I hope Cogger can process what he sees developing in the defensive line and translate that into good choices most of the time. But it would be a big help to him if we get our hooking department on song with passing. I don't know that Lichaa has got the ability or inclination to offer the passing game needed. But hopefully if he doesn't show it again next year, pay can promote or develop someone that can give our players more time and direction. Our forwards don't seem to be able to hit the ball at pace like they can with a rep level hooker and likewise, our halves need the time to read the play to make the most impact.
Well said Alan79, summarised the whole situation well, Dean has some pondering to do over the off season and I hope Yuz (our new/old recruitment officer is working overtime.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Could be just my memory failing me but cogger looked to promise more a couple of years ago than this year. If im not mistaken he set up a couple of tries in a game then. I think vs warriors.
The only decent game i saw him played this year was vs eels.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Lamb has the more suitable surname for us.

Is that a criteria?

Last edited:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cogger definately has more upside than Lamb. Pay will develop him for the job.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I so agree. If there were 20 better halves running around than cogger not already contracted im sure the people in charge would of got them. There not all gonna be jt. He reminds me of matt orfard a little. Nothing brilliant but won as many or more premierships than jt orford did.
Matt Orford was a gun.. won DallyM in 08 from memory

Emdog85

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lamb is the equivalent of a wiltered lettuce leaf left in the fridge for a month. Soggy, soppy, and you really just want to bin it.

Our club should have tapped the Knights deeper and looked at Tex Hoy or Hayden Loughery... both are looking like superstars in the making. Hence why Knights didn't give a fuck about losing Lamb or Cogger.

Surplus of halves.
Jack Johns off to souffs

Real1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Both these backup halves have been let go by Newcastle this year..

We signed Cogger, Roosters signed Lamb

Comparing where both players are in their stage of their career and their development which player is the smarter buy?

Both 21 years old
Both have played Halfback and 5/8 in NRL

Lambs played 31 NRL games
Coggers played 20 NRL games

From what Ive seen I rate Brock Lamb as the better of the 2 players
Not convinced by either... if they the answer knights would’ve persisted with the two of em... but instead signed Pearce/Conor Watson

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just realised Jack is from Greenacre.. thought he was from up there

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Surplus of halves.
Jack Johns is off to Souths however they have plans to turn him into a backrower next season.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Both these backup halves have been let go by Newcastle this year..

We signed Cogger, Roosters signed Lamb

Comparing where both players are in their stage of their career and their development which player is the smarter buy?

Both 21 years old
Both have played Halfback and 5/8 in NRL

Lambs played 31 NRL games
Coggers played 20 NRL games

From what Ive seen I rate Brock Lamb as the better of the 2 players
Lamb is a 6 and Coggar is a 7
We have one of the best 6 in the comp
Not hard to figure out...