Cody Walker sledge that set off Lachlan Lewis

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This did not only relate to the game last night but the one earlier in the season where grubby Walker committed two fouls: one an elbow to Meaney's head and another when he walked on the hand of a Bulldog player. It is a given that Walker will do something to stir the pot each time he plays the Dogs. He does not always do things by stealth and loves to mouth off at the opposition.

Canterbury’s animosity towards Cody Walker had been simmering for four months. On Sunday night at Cbus Stadium, it exploded in bizarre circumstances, leaving Canterbury half Lachlan Lewis facing a $1500 fine after being charged by the match review committee with grade one contrary conduct.
Lewis’s decision to rag doll Walker to the ground as the teams made their way off the field for halftime prompted head-scratching from fans and commentators alike. All anyone really wanted to know on Monday is what prompted Lewis’s rage.
The Australian can reveal it relates back to the round four game between the sides at Stadium Australia when Walker was charged with a grade one striking for an elbow to the back of Nick Meaney’s head. Bulldogs players were fuming with that incident and have been stewing on it for months

With that incident in the back of their minds, their anger was only amplified when Walker and Meaney came together on the stroke of halftime on Sunday night. As the pair regained their feet, old wounds were reopened and words were exchanged.
Lewis became involved and Walker is said to have told him: “Go to back to reserve grade.”
That’s when the situation escalated, prompting the Bulldogs half to grab Walker and wrestle him to the ground. A melee ensued and when the teams were broken up and the rest of the players made their way off the field, Lewis was called back by referee Ben Cummins and sent to the sin bin.

The animosity resumed when the teams returned for the second half – Bulldogs sources sent The Australian a still image on Monday which appeared to show Walker using his forearm on Meaney later in the match.

It continued the recent history of bad blood between the sides, although the rivalry will no doubt be watered down next season when Meaney departs for Melbourne and Lewis finds another club – he is yet to receive an offer from the Bulldogs.
For the time being, Walker, Meaney and Lewis are going to find it hard to avoid each other — Souths and Canterbury are staying in the same hub on the Gold Coast.
NRL head of football Graham Annesley was reluctant to delve too deeply into the incident on Monday given Lewis had been charged by the judiciary.
“I have to be careful about what I say in relation to that incident because it is a judiciary charge,” Annesley said.
“All I can say is that it was an unusual incident. I can’t remember something like that happening, certainly in recent years anyway.
“You would be struggling to find an exact example of that happening in the past after the halftime siren. To what was involved and what motivated it or sparked it, and whether there is any evidence Lachlan might like to give if he decides to defend the charge, that is a matter for him and the club.
“It was an unusual incident and I think it is best to let it play out through the judicial process at this point.”
Annesley confirmed he had spoken to Trent Barrett on Sunday night after the Bulldogs coach had questioned the sin-binning of Lewis and the lopsided penalty count against his side.
“I did get a call from Trent last night,” Annesley said.
“I am sure he won’t mind me confirming I got a call from him. We had a very general discussion. I have already told (referees boss) Jared Maxwell this morning I would have a conversation with him about some of the concerns that were raise din our conversation.
“Trent is a good guy, I have known him a, long time. He is obviously a bit frustrated at losing some games recently.”
BRENT READ
SENIOR SPORTS WRITER
Brent Read is one of rugby league's agenda setters but is also among the nation's most well-known golf writers. He also covers Olympic sports, writing with authority, wit and enthusiasm. Brent began his career ... Read more

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
With everyone in here bagging out Lewis and sticking up for Wanker... I mean Walker I think there are a fvcking sh!tload of Nasheed aliases in here.
We do know there's plenty out there for a fact.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone believes that was the cause of the mellee then they are totally wrong. It was out of character and something a bit more sinister was said to cause that reaction. There were other players around that would have heard exactly what was said, and if they are not forthcoming to say anything then it's probably serious enough to just leave it be.
I think your on the money mate.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
There's definately more to it than this.... Why would Cody Walker be so quick to hose the question down in the post match interview, whatever happens on the field stays on the field he said...

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Paul Kent was the best on 360... Said Lewis is lucky he wasn't in Lismore or he would have been kicked in the chest lol
Just to incite the kennel more, this is from the Cody Walker archives!

Without being PC, hes a protected species.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
If Walker told Lewis to go back to reserve grade and that set him off he's soft as.

I agree. Lewis is an idiot for reacting like that to that comment. The real way to react would be to play better and show Walker you deserve to be in first grade.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree, I don’t understand some of the comments on here, as I’ve said before, plenty act like a pack of hyenas targeting a bloke whilst he’s down… can’t say that’s surprising.

The poor bloke has struggled getting a regular gig in the NRL, he works his ar$e off on the footy field and he doesn’t know if and when he will get a footy contract with a kid/family to support and some douche bag says “go back to Reserve Grade” from the opposition and Kennelers are backing the opposition?

A comment like that is asking to be out on your ar$e… especially when you’ve been through adversity like Lewis has…his thought process would almost certainly have been in supporting his young family, can’t do that in Reserve Grade.
What adversity has he been through? He's been in and out of first grade due to not being good enough. He had a number of injuries and hasn't been playing but has been paid this year.

What's a minimum contract worth these days in reserve grade, $120k. He can't support a wife and kid on that. How many people on here would be supporting a family on far less. God forbid if he can't get a contract he might have to go out and get a real job like 99% of us.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think your on the money mate.
Yeah… I think it’s all part truth. I think after the tackle before half time that was when he dropped the go back to reserve grade in a very colourful language. Lewis then approached Walker after the hooter. And he said something else… that is what is being kept under wraps. Still doesn’t excuse the weak prick Lewis though.

kungfuman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, I don’t understand some of the comments on here, as I’ve said before, plenty act like a pack of hyenas targeting a bloke whilst he’s down… can’t say that’s surprising.

The poor bloke has struggled getting a regular gig in the NRL, he works his ar$e off on the footy field and he doesn’t know if and when he will get a footy contract with a kid/family to support and some douche bag says “go back to Reserve Grade” from the opposition and Kennelers are backing the opposition?

A comment like that is asking to be out on your ar$e… especially when you’ve been through adversity like Lewis has…his thought process would almost certainly have been in supporting his young family, can’t do that in Reserve Grade.
Very true it's the same dozen every time just a small minority easy to ignore

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lewis was upset by that?
I would have just said something like "yeah and whilst your on the field and Im not, I can throw 1 in yu mum like the rest of your team mates do behind your back"
See then Cody might have got filthy and probably done something stupid in the 2nd half if it got to him.

Just dumb from Lewis

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The sledge came from a bloke that couldn't crack first grade until 27

He deserved a pile driver thru the dirt
And a teabagging at the end of it, maybe even a dirty Sanchez :laughing:
A truetnuc is this Walker the racist prick.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If Walker told Lewis to go back to reserve grade and that set him off he's soft as.
Surely that’s not what was said, these blokes don’t go off like that because they get told to go back to reserve grade

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Surely that’s not what was said, these blokes don’t go off like that because they get told to go back to reserve grade
There’s been a couple of other things said. One was that it was something to do with a cheap shot on Meaney in the game earlier this year so Lewis was standing up for him, someone else said Walker put a shot on Lewis in the first half that went unnoticed. It’s a pretty unusual thing to see that’s for sure.