Cody Walker sledge that set off Lachlan Lewis

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
South Sydney five-eighth Cody Walker triggered Sunday’s bizarre halftime incident with Lachlan Lewis by telling the Bulldogs five-eighth: “Go to back to reserve grade.”
The taunt infuriated Lewis, who tackled Walker to the ground as players left the field, causing a melee which resulted in the Bulldogs half being sin-binned.

Lewis was cited by the NRL match review committee for contrary conduct on Monday and faces a fine of $1600 with an early plea or $2400 if he fights the charge and loses.

Multiple well-placed sources alleged Walker used colourful language to tell Lewis, in no uncertain terms, to “go back to reserve grade”.
Cody Walker has words with Lachlan Lewis before they tussle.

Cody Walker has words with Lachlan Lewis before they tussle.

The sledge refers to Lewis having played four NRL matches this season and five NSW Cup games for Mounties.

It was a pointed barb with Lewis, who is only 24, off-contract at the end of this season and without a deal for 2022.

With NSW Cup currently suspended due to Sydney’s Covid-19 outbreak, Lewis is unable to go back to reserve grade, although Sydney NRL clubs are seeking to have players join Queensland Cup sides.

The incident came at halftime, after Souths tried to run an audacious last-second play, where Walker was brought to ground by Canterbury duo Will Hopoate and Nick Meaney.

Lewis rushed in to help his Bulldogs teammates to their feet, when Walker looked up and directed an inaudible spray in his direction.

As Lewis headed for the dressing room, he gave Walker a tap on the backside to which the Rabbitohs No.6 took issue, turned and gave Lewis another verballing.

It was at that point when Lewis took Walker down.

Lachlan Lewis takes Cody Walker down. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images

Lachlan Lewis takes Cody Walker down. Picture: Chris Hyde/Getty Images

Lewis is likely to bump into Walker over coming weeks with the Bulldogs and Rabbitohs in the Mercure Gold Coast hub, along with the Eels, Raiders and Warriors.

Canterbury management denied a request for Lewis to be interviewed with club CEO Aaron Warburton claiming the exchange was “friendly banter on the field” and the club “didn’t want to give this any more airtime, with respect.”

Walker sidestepped questions about the heated moment immediately after the game when Fox Sports’ Matty Johns asked him: “What the hell was going on with Lachlan Lewis?”

“I don’t know man, I wouldn’t have a clue,” Walker said. ”He just said then … whatever. It’s in the past. What happens on the footy field stays on there.”

The NRL made discreet inquiries into the matter to ensure any on-field comments didn’t contravene the game’s anti-vilification code.

The match review committee was planning to listen to the on-field audio during the moment leading up to the incident.

The incident sparked a melee after the halftime siren sounded.

The incident sparked a melee after the halftime siren sounded.

South Sydney CEO Blake Solly was unaware of the on-field comment but described Walker and Lewis as “cheeky buggers.”

Lewis’ famous uncle, Wally, was surprised at his nephew’s on-field behaviour.

“Why did he do it? I’ve got no idea,” Wally said. “It was very unusual. I don’t know what was said.”

Lewis’ manager Luke Lombardi said his client’s reaction was “out of character.”

During commentary on Fox Sports, Panthers great Greg Alexander, after witnessing Lewis tackle Walker, said: “That’s one of the craziest things I’ve seen in a long time.”

At the post-game media conference, Canterbury coach Trent Barrett was left to explain why his playmaker was dragged into such an unusual moment.

“Obviously something’s happened for him to react like that. And it hurt us – they scored a try and kicked a penalty goal while he was on the field,” Barrett said.

“It was disappointing, but that wasn’t the reason we lost the game. We had our chances to win it.”

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
If Walker told Lewis to go back to reserve grade and that set him off he's soft as.
hopefully trent sends him there this week.
love to see BBO in the halves with Averillo if JMK is back this week.

Typical dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Imagine the frail ego he must have. I don't mind Lewis but this is weak level stuff, us kennelers give it to each other better than that.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Really?
Is that all
Lewis you pussy, harden up.
Sticks and stones mate.

Best way to sledge Walker would have been to respond by singing the Anthum.
Haha, walker would have been triggered as fuck by that the soft cock.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Walker told Lewis to go back to reserve grade and that set him off he's soft as.
I missed the game but if what someone said on TK last night was true, about Walker shoulder charging Lewis to the head and not being penalised, then I'm calling bullshit on this article.

There was no immediate comment after the match from either player, so if Souths felt there was a risk of suspension if it got out, then they've probably floated this to the media as the only 'reason' for the altercation. We all know Walker seems to be untouchable irrespective of what he does.

LOL at the NRLol who were already looking to crucify us, hoping it might have been a racial issue.