Opinion Coaching Process

Malla

Reaction score
Gould has enormous influence and an extensive network but i often wonder whether his evasiveness, vagueness and talking in riddles is because he is unsure or he wants to confuse others. Would be a challenge for coaches staff n players to understand what he wants if he communicates like that on a daily basis.

Is there more to him or is it as it was with George Costanza "less"
I think its literally to confuse the media. Gus has a lot of haters in the media. He treats it like a sport I reckon lol

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No there was too much pressure on the board and from us fans.
If you remember there were petitions on instagram and Facebook to have Barrett sacked.
Alot of fans were brutal and carrying on like pork chops.
Something had to be done the pressure valve has now been released.
I also think that the way some of our fanatical fans carry on may not be helping our club.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Why do people think Barrett got sacked ? Do we have proof of this? Or are we just assuming this? I don’t believe Barrett got sacked. I believe the pressure got to him in the end and fell on his own sword.
He got the golden hand shake. That was from my bulletproof source.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I also think that the way some of our fanatical fans carry on may not be helping our club.
Natural slide mate. I remember when we used to tease parra for being 18 years without a premiership. We used to also tease a shitload of other plodder clubs who now have premierships in the modern era. We were the bullies. Now look at us.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
If Gus gets this wrong, than he is gone

I dont know about the timing, but what i do know is that we need a coach who can rebuild a club

Are the following coaches suited for the rebuilding process along with the politics at Belmore?

Flanagan - Yes
Fittler - No
Maguire - No according to the last 4 years at Tigers
Toovey - Yes
Can't agree more. Ive watched the media and Gus closely for all comments regarding our future coach over the last few weeks.
As the Director of football It's Goulds job to find a suitable replacement and recommend that individual to the Board. So Goulds comments, that he hadn't received any applications, hasn't called for any applications, but moreover his ridiculous comment that he hasn't given our future coach any thought, beggars the question, WHY NOT?
Is it wise to wait and see what other Clubs do in replacing their coach? No.
Is it wise to appoint ANOTHER rookie coach with none or limited NRL experience, considering the mess we are in? No.
Do coaches attract players? And do players we wish to negotiate with going forward care who the coach will be? Yes.
So logically Gould has someone in mind, and for various reasons, doesn't want the media to know yet.
I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable. Fans, sponsors, players and the Club, all the stakeholders want to know WHO.
There's increasing noise that it won't be Flanagan. I can't see exactly where this is coming from. The vast majority of Dogs fans wants Flanagan, so why are we hearing this?
Increasingly, the word around town is Fittler.
Problem is Fittler is contracted to 9 and NSWRL for SOO Coach for another year. So lets assume we throw enough money to entice Fittler to break these contracts. Do dogs fans want Fittler? I'm hearing increasingly that we don't.
So here's the squeeze....If Fittler wins this years SOO, he will be appointed our coach, the Club will be happy, heralding the appointment of a proven winner, and fans have to accept it.....
BUT, if Fittler loses this years SOO series, there's NO WAY IN HELL DOGS FANS WOULD ACCEPT THIS. The Board would be tossed at the next AGM.
This Wednesdays first SOO game just got much more important.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
ing we have alrway picked who we want
Can't agree more. Ive watched the media and Gus closely for all comments regarding our future coach over the last few weeks.
As the Director of football It's Goulds job to find a suitable replacement and recommend that individual to the Board. So Goulds comments, that he hadn't received any applications, hasn't called for any applications, but moreover his ridiculous comment that he hasn't given our future coach any thought, beggars the question, WHY NOT?
Is it wise to wait and see what other Clubs do in replacing their coach? No.
Is it wise to appoint ANOTHER rookie coach with none or limited NRL experience, considering the mess we are in? No.
Do coaches attract players? And do players we wish to negotiate with going forward care who the coach will be? Yes.
So logically Gould has someone in mind, and for various reasons, doesn't want the media to know yet.
I'm sorry, but this is unacceptable. Fans, sponsors, players and the Club, all the stakeholders want to know WHO.
There's increasing noise that it won't be Flanagan. I can't see exactly where this is coming from. The vast majority of Dogs fans wants Flanagan, so why are we hearing this?
Increasingly, the word around town is Fittler.
Problem is Fittler is contracted to 9 and NSWRL for SOO Coach for another year. So lets assume we throw enough money to entice Fittler to break these contracts. Do dogs fans want Fittler? I'm hearing increasingly that we don't.
So here's the squeeze....If Fittler wins this years SOO, he will be appointed our coach, the Club will be happy, heralding the appointment of a proven winner, and fans have to accept it.....
BUT, if Fittler loses this years SOO series, there's NO WAY IN HELL DOGS FANS WOULD ACCEPT THIS. The Board would be tossed at the next AGM.
This Wednesdays first SOO game just got much more important.
What's the alternative, saying that we have already picked who we want so that no one else even bothers applying. Surely the best way to get the most applications is to say we haven't even opened applications yet. That way they have time to get their resumes in order, talk to their managers and have their lawyers examine the get out clauses for whatever contracts they currently hold.

To me it's the best strategy if you want to attract the best applicants from every possible avenue.

Always a Bulldog

H-dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So who does everyone think the choices for coach are
1. Flanno snr
2. Fitler
3. Madge
4. Green
5.Toovey
6.Wolfe
???

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whoever is our coach we're going to be paying them top dollar. Fittler is openly saying he's happy with his 2 current gigs (he would have dreamed of as a child). So basically he needs an offer too good to refuse (seriously as a failed NRL coach ?). Now we have competition for all available coaches so they can push their prices up. We knew Maguire was likely to get dumped any minute since last year and Brown has been likely for weeks also. We should have signed Flanagan weeks ago at a cheaper rate.

Apex Cedar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Madge to the dogs is making the rounds, anyone know if this has legs ?

Froggo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Gus and the Board are super calm. Makes you think the coach is already signed. That could only mean Fitler or Flano. Unless a Hasler like event is going to happen. Robbo, Bellyache, Cleary very unlikely. What about Brad Arthur?

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He us our only hope to be honest. To get to a place where we have had no talented juniors come through for so long is an absolute disgrace.
Agree, though fans need to be patient, and I know we already have been waiting for some level of success, but Hasler really left this club in a diabolical mess cutting off juniors and paying his one legged mate 1.2M per year followed by the club making poor recruitment decisions like DWZ, Thompson and Cotric on big overs when they should have been spending overs on Spine players - I’m ok with a 3yr turnaround - next year with a genuine #9 and the best edge player in the game, we should climb to mid table… if we can jag a genuine halfback, we might even challenge for the 8. Most importantly and to your point, key is to develop juniors because “home grown” have natural love for the jersey and efficient for the cap but this takes time

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree, though fans need to be patient, and I know we already have been waiting for some level of success, but Hasler really left this club in a diabolical mess cutting off juniors and paying his one legged mate 1.2M per year followed by the club making poor recruitment decisions like DWZ, Thompson and Cotric on big overs when they should have been spending overs on Spine players - I’m ok with a 3yr turnaround - next year with a genuine #9 and the best edge player in the game, we should climb to mid table… if we can jag a genuine halfback, we might even challenge for the 8. Most importantly and to your point, key is to develop juniors because “home grown” have natural love for the jersey and efficient for the cap but this takes time
I see developing juniors as much more than players from the local area - i see it as bringing players from all over the country and developing them - local area is a shallow pool. Matts are usually mainly locals - 19s n flegg - aim for the best from wherever they come from

gordon

Waterboy
Reaction score
I like many on here was of the opinion that Barrett's time was up

It's quite obvious they made him walk with a juicy 500k payout, just like how the previous board made Pay walk out with a pay out......because if they really did leave "on their own terms", they would not of received a payout

My question is with the timing of all this?

Why would you sack Barrett, give him a payout and than bring in Potter for half a season and upgrade his contract to reflect that of a first grade coach....

Wouldn't you leave Barrett until the end of 2022 and than give him his marching orders? It doesn't make sense if the club will "hopefully" have a coach by September, which means that it is likely a current contracted coach while sacking Barrett half way through the year?

Could it be that the club already had a handshake agreement with a coach before Barrett was sacked?

Could it be there is a current contracted coach who has cornered Gus to act now, giving him a guarantee that the job is vacant, instead of waiting until the end of the year where it "might" be vacant?

I find it hard to believe that a NRL club would sack their head coach half way through the year, in "hope" with replacing him with a contracted coach at the end of the year

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope we relieved Barrett to get the jump on our new coach. I don't believe Gus when he says he hasn't talked with anyone else.