Coach Des Hasler to sue Bulldogs for contract breach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
if somebody paid me $3,000,000 then agreed to pay me $4,500,000 but then said no, i would still be extremely happy with them and wouldnt sue them

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Hasler saga is going to be very interesting, from what I've heard @ read he was originally on $1,000,000 was it with or without bonuses I don't know.
So why would Dib and the board agree to upgrade and sign of on a new contract of $1.2000,000 without water tight clauses, if the clause include a top 4 or top 8 finish, by going to court Hasler is only bashing his head against a brick wall and is doing it out of bitterness against our club, which would not be surprising considering his coaching antics at our club. If however Dib and our board failed in the wording of the contract and it results in costing our club a lot of money, I don't think that they would wan't to face the fans at February AGM.
TIME WILL TELL.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
How do we know what thw contract was worth????

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
A number of new appointments to the board. A skeptic might think this is Dib assuring he stays.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It’s naive to think the club has no liabilities in this matter. A heads of agreement is non-binding and if that’s where it ended the club would be fine. However, on numerous occasions, during the season we said publicly that we had resigned hasler. Those comments would almost certainly stopped other clubs from approaching hasler. So we’d be liable for lost wages, for at least this season.
The challenge for the clubs legal team is to make hasler swallow a deal that is both palatable for us and him.
Half of the original HOA would be a good result for all.
Pay the man and let’s all move on.

Dogna88

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I personally think the club will settle in court.... if they pay Des outside of court, it goes to the "coaches cap"... if they settle in court, doesnt go to the cap

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The Hasler saga is going to be very interesting, from what I've heard @ read he was originally on $1,000,000 was it with or without bonuses I don't know.
So why would Dib and the board agree to upgrade and sign of on a new contract of $1.2000,000 without water tight clauses, if the clause include a top 4 or top 8 finish, by going to court Hasler is only bashing his head against a brick wall and is doing it out of bitterness against our club, which would not be surprising considering his coaching antics at our club. If however Dib and our board failed in the wording of the contract and it results in costing our club a lot of money, I don't think that they would wan't to face the fans at February AGM.
TIME WILL TELL.
You've absolutely summed it up...
I'll add a twist to it
No matter what the outcome is, come voting time The HUGHES CLAN or any VOTING TICKET Supported by them Should never be allowed near the club.
They are self centered and think they are royalties of the club.
According to what I've heard, Gary Hughes as a team manager then didn't execute his job properly (because of missing out on the CEOs job) which led to the chaos of 2003 and 2004 seasons, probably because he missed out on the job to Steve Mortimer.
After2004 fiasco and twice the team turning up to court in thongs and shorts CEO Mortimer was placed Under pressure from the NRL and the media to take action.
Mortimer sacked Hughes for his incompetence.
Chairman Peponis whispered in Mortimer's ears to step down and avoid a split in the club and he did.
The Mortimers decided to stick around and serve the club in any possible way !
On the other hand
The Hughes clan decided to sever their association with the club handing in their life memberships and then I believe they sued the club.
Therefore I repeat NO HUGHES or any TICKET SUPPORTED BY THE HUGHES'S should be allowed anywhere near the club !!!

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I personally think the club will settle in court.... if they pay Des outside of court, it goes to the "coaches cap"... if they settle in court, doesnt go to the cap
I can't see how either strategy plays out as an add on to the cap. The MOU was agreed upon during the previous season so even if the coaches salaries were included (and they aren't before 2019) this is not a salary it is a damages claim for lost earnings. I am confident this won't see a court room hearing as it will be settled one way or another beforehand. We won't know how much because it will be confidential but I would guess somewhere around the $500 - $600K mark plus expenses.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s naive to think the club has no liabilities in this matter. A heads of agreement is non-binding and if that’s where it ended the club would be fine. However, on numerous occasions, during the season we said publicly that we had resigned hasler. Those comments would almost certainly stopped other clubs from approaching hasler. So we’d be liable for lost wages, for at least this season.
The challenge for the clubs legal team is to make hasler swallow a deal that is both palatable for us and him.
Half of the original HOA would be a good result for all.
Pay the man and let’s all move on.
Haslers manager should have contacted other clubs if there was any doubt that Des was unwanted at Belmore.
Sure their was a lot of noise about Des been re signed for two more years, but did the noise come from the clubs official spokesperson.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Bored jew ****....

Get a job you fuckwit!

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Haslers manager should have contacted other clubs if there was any doubt that Des was unwanted at Belmore.
Sure their was a lot of noise about Des been re signed for two more years, but did the noise come from the clubs official spokesperson.
Des Hasler re-signs with Canterbury Bulldogs until end of 2019
April 3 2017
Rugby League
Finally, the interminable saga over Des Hasler's future is over.

Less than three hours after Wests Tigers unveiled Ivan Cleary as their new head coach, Canterbury put a full stop to the year-long discussion over Hasler's tenure at Belmore by announcing his retention on a two-year contract extension on Monday night It had been expected that the Bulldogs would take to as long as round 12 to make a final call on the coach who had taken them to five semi-finals series and two grand finals since his arrival at the club before the 2012 season but following a gritty 10-7 victory over Brisbane last Thursday night the club acted swiftly.

Hasler said on Monday night he was "extremely happy" to be staying on at Canterbury until at least the end of the 2019 season.

"The club has great history and tradition and an incredibly loyal fan base. I am pleased that I have been able to reach an agreement with the club to extend my contract until the end of 2019," Hasler said.

Only a week ago it seemed a very real possibility that Hasler would be on the way out at Belmore. A 36-0 drubbing by Manly intensified the scrutiny on him and there appeared to be genuine division at board level over whether he was the right man to take the team forward in seasons to come, with lingering questions not just about the Bulldogs' form but about recruitment and retention decisions made in recent seasons.

Following the victory over the Broncos at ANZ Stadium and a board meeting directly before that game, though, a revised offer of a contract extension was made. With the maverick coach accepting the terms and signing on Monday it brings to an close a period of extended uncertainty for Canterbury.

"Des is a proven coach. His record over the years shows that and we are extremely pleased that negotiations have resulted in Des remaining at the club until the end of the 2019 season," Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle said.

"This contract extension builds on the last five years of growth within our football program and Des is looking forward to the next two years."

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
yeah, pay him in all silver coins. maye just 5 and 10 cent coins only.
I’ve always wanted to do that to someone who I think has unfairly charged me for something.
Sadly, it’s not considered legal tender.

A payment of coins is a legal tender throughout Australia if it is made in Australian coins, but this is subject to some restrictions about how much can be paid in coin. According to the Currency Act 1965 (section 16) coins are legal tender for payment of amounts which are limited as follows:

• not exceeding 20c if 1c and/or 2c coins are offered (these coins have been withdrawn from circulation, but are still legal tender);
  • not exceeding $5 if any combination of 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins are offered; and
  • not exceeding 10 times the face value of the coin if $1 or $2 coins are offered.
For example, if someone wants to pay a merchant with five cent coins, they can only pay up to $5 worth of five cent coins and any more than that will not be considered legal tender.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Yep as I said ... Castle has fucked us up once again... and shes not even at the club anymore.

The gift that keeps on giving.

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Des Hasler re-signs with Canterbury Bulldogs until end of 2019
April 3 2017
Rugby League
Finally, the interminable saga over Des Hasler's future is over.

Less than three hours after Wests Tigers unveiled Ivan Cleary as their new head coach, Canterbury put a full stop to the year-long discussion over Hasler's tenure at Belmore by announcing his retention on a two-year contract extension on Monday night It had been expected that the Bulldogs would take to as long as round 12 to make a final call on the coach who had taken them to five semi-finals series and two grand finals since his arrival at the club before the 2012 season but following a gritty 10-7 victory over Brisbane last Thursday night the club acted swiftly.

Hasler said on Monday night he was "extremely happy" to be staying on at Canterbury until at least the end of the 2019 season.

"The club has great history and tradition and an incredibly loyal fan base. I am pleased that I have been able to reach an agreement with the club to extend my contract until the end of 2019," Hasler said.

Only a week ago it seemed a very real possibility that Hasler would be on the way out at Belmore. A 36-0 drubbing by Manly intensified the scrutiny on him and there appeared to be genuine division at board level over whether he was the right man to take the team forward in seasons to come, with lingering questions not just about the Bulldogs' form but about recruitment and retention decisions made in recent seasons.

Following the victory over the Broncos at ANZ Stadium and a board meeting directly before that game, though, a revised offer of a contract extension was made. With the maverick coach accepting the terms and signing on Monday it brings to an close a period of extended uncertainty for Canterbury.

"Des is a proven coach. His record over the years shows that and we are extremely pleased that negotiations have resulted in Des remaining at the club until the end of the 2019 season," Bulldogs chief executive Raelene Castle said.

"This contract extension builds on the last five years of growth within our football program and Des is looking forward to the next two years."
This supports my original thoughts about an extension versus a new contract. Very real possibility that existing contractual clauses have been updated to reflect new clauses e.g. performance clauses that could have been brought in to the existing agreement and gave the club the grounds to make Des go.

DrBulldog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I totally agree mate. There's a lot of stuff we don't know anyway I know Ray ain't going to point fingers at someone and make it public for everyone to know. He done what he had to do and got on with business for the club's and fans best interest. I reckon all this was done maybe to at least have foran and woods officially signed and not officially sign hasler.

What really should matter now is that we look forward to 2018 and hopefully sezer is signed if possible to complete our halves for next season, firgers crossed :grinning:
Spot on. If beastwood is moved on sezer is coming.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’ve always wanted to do that to someone who I think has unfairly charged me for something.
Sadly, it’s not considered legal tender.

A payment of coins is a legal tender throughout Australia if it is made in Australian coins, but this is subject to some restrictions about how much can be paid in coin. According to the Currency Act 1965 (section 16) coins are legal tender for payment of amounts which are limited as follows:

• not exceeding 20c if 1c and/or 2c coins are offered (these coins have been withdrawn from circulation, but are still legal tender);
  • not exceeding $5 if any combination of 5c, 10c, 20c and 50c coins are offered; and
  • not exceeding 10 times the face value of the coin if $1 or $2 coins are offered.
For example, if someone wants to pay a merchant with five cent coins, they can only pay up to $5 worth of five cent coins and any more than that will not be considered legal tender.
lol i did not know.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I still think, how coaches who get moved on while under contract should be paid off, should be the same as it is for players. You get paid the difference between what you earn elsewhere, and the contract. So to get a full 2 mill, Des would have to not coach at all for 2 years. If the contract is valid.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I still think, how coaches who get moved on while under contract should be paid off, should be the same as it is for players. You get paid the difference between what you earn elsewhere, and the contract. So to get a full 2 mill, Des would have to not coach at all for 2 years. If the contract is valid.
But that is not the argument with Des as he has completed his actual contract and they are now arguing over whether he has a new one or not. If he does then we pay if he doesn't then we don't. Technically, I think you will find that if the player is sacked he is entitled to the full value of his contract. I suspect it is something of a gentlemens agreement between the clubs and managers that the player is only paid out the difference by the old club. If you are talking about transfers then again I don't think it has anything to do with the player but rather an agreement that benefits both clubs that results in the shared cost.

Junkey

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
But that is not the argument with Des as he has completed his actual contract and they are now arguing over whether he has a new one or not. If he does then we pay if he doesn't then we don't. Technically, I think you will find that if the player is sacked he is entitled to the full value of his contract. I suspect it is something of a gentlemens agreement between the clubs and managers that the player is only paid out the difference by the old club. If you are talking about transfers then again I don't think it has anything to do with the player but rather an agreement that benefits both clubs that results in the shared cost.
We can argue all night about semantics. The conclusion is that it is an absolute Dog's breakfast (pardon the pun). I have never seen this mess in 30 plus years suppoeting the Club. Awful awful mess

Status
Not open for further replies.