Coach Des Hasler to sue Bulldogs for contract breach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Agree. Certainly for two parties entering into a contract for the first time.

But in my experience two parties that already have a commercial relationship will use the HOA to vary the original document.

Apparently the club has QC advise??
Apparently. If the QC confirmed it then it should be fine. Pretty sure Hasler isn't arguing the HOA anyway. I think he's arguing lost potential in regard to a new contract from another club.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Regardless of the legal mumbo jumbo, the club backflipped on their words, didnt they?
Yep. Even though many were happy to see Hasler go, there were many Ex-Bulldogs who commented about how bad the whole situation was and how the club lost a lot of integrity with this.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really not happy that Dib failed to settle this one before it got to this point as Des will argue that the damages are legitimate in terms of lost opportunity. If the courts do find there are enough elements for its to be binding, I sure as shit hope they've got some clauses that allowed for partial payout in the event of early termination.
I'd like to see Des try to prove he had real opportunity at another club. Was anyone really interested in him at $1M+ a season ? even the Dragons, I very much doubt it. Hasler will be very lucky to ever get offered an NRL gig again. Other clubs are much smarter than our board were.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd like to see Des try to prove he had real opportunity at another club. Was anyone really interested in him at $1M+ a season ? even the Dragons, I very much doubt it. Hasler will be very lucky to ever get offered an NRL gig again. Other clubs are much smarter than our board were.
Pretty interesting though, in the sense as to whether he could produce any evidence that other clubs (either NRL or Super League) wanted him and at what cost. If he's got anything close to or above his "market rate" (and I say that if you compare to his stats of winning a NRL premiership, multiple finals appearances etc), without knowing the specifics of the HoA then yeah I'd say we're a little bit fucked and Dib should definitely try and settle without incurring anymore legal fees, costs etc.

I don't agree that he'll be lucky to get another NRL gig - it'll be a matter of time. I just think it'll be one of those scenarios where he'll have a general manager overseeing what he's doing a la Panthers so he doesn't go mad scientist again.

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Just because Hasler has taken it to court doesn't mean he will win.

Dib may be useless but our lawyers aren't. This was the set up for Fifita and now Hasler. Won't go anywhere.

If anything Hasler should be suing his manager for shitty representation

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Regardless of the legal mumbo jumbo, the club backflipped on their words, didnt they?
Yes and no. If you look at it simply in terms of a commitment and then not going ahead then you are right, but if you look at it from the point of view that sport is a moving feast and you need to adapt or die then you would say that the promise of delivery that Des had on him wasn't fulfilled and the club, recognising they were not competitive with him in charge any longer took the decision to go down a different path. I have no doubt had Des got us into the 8 the contract would've been signed off, but he didn't and here we are. What is more important? A Club that sticks with its intentions no matter what changes or one that recognises it just isn't working and makes the tough decisions?

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
isn't Dib a lawyer himself?

no matter how dud he is, he is still a qualified lawyer and knows thing or two more than Des when it comes to contracts.

Also

in the war between a lawyer of an unemployed and the lawyer of a multimillion dollar organisation, I know who would win.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
isn't Dib a lawyer himself?

no matter how dud he is, he is still a qualified lawyer and knows thing or two more than Des when it comes to contracts.

Also

in the war between a lawyer of an unemployed and the lawyer of a multimillion dollar organisation, I know who would win.
Na. He's a financial planner.

timetopisshasleroff

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Couldnt care less about the end result, we have the right result allready.

Most over rated player of the 80s & 90s, same goes for his coaching, its all about the $ for the mumbling mullet.

bowleggedwog

wogdog
Reaction score
I'm happy des is gone but he is entitled to be paid. They announced he has been offered a 2yr extension than they sack him. Just admit he warranted to be sacked and pay him what ever he is owed and let dean pay make him look bad.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Mate, even if we end up paying him out, as long as he is gone i dont give a shit. Hope is priceless. We have some now. So as long as he only sues us for money and not his job back, im ok.

Time will tell if the positive changes Dib made late in the peace will be enough to counter that fuck up of a decision to re-sign Des after 1 win in 8 starts, and costing us possibly a million. Hes gotta be a 50/50 chance of being re-elected imo.

Last edited:

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
like I said before, we are fucken rich , he wants over 2 mills , we should give him in $2 coins by throwing them at him all at once.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If we win the case and don’t have to pay him out, the board should reward us fans by buying every previous and existing member a 5 year cat 1 membership.

A reward for having to put up with Hasler for 2 years too long and also their stupidity in renewing Hasler earlier in the year.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I still think the theory of Dib announcing Hasler's extension so he could secure Foran and possibly Woods is sound. Dib was making moves to save his arse at the election. Yes I do think we have taken a hit in integrity that was avoidable. Yes Hasler had to go ASAP to save the club and any amount of $$$ is worth seeing him gone. Yes I do think that Dib should follow Hasler for our club even being in this position. Dib said himself to judge him on 2017 and it was a fail. Missed the 8, worst footy in our history, lawsuit, player recruitment/movements and treating fans like shite. To his credit 2018 is looking great BUT I still think he should go!

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
From an outsiders perspective without any access to documents or what was discussed in the actual contract. I'd say Hasler has a strong case. The fact the Club announced a contract extension definitely shows inducement. We believed he had a contract or at least an agreement to contract and it really seems like he did to. It's a representation for a future promise. Providing Hasler had other opportunities he didn't take or pursue and can prove detriment due to the Clubs actions he should have a remedy available under equity.

With the musical chairs that happened this season with coaches and Hasler's high profile, it would be unlikely he wasn't approached by any club early on just putting out feelers.

Status
Not open for further replies.