bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dogs confirm release of disgruntled star with Raiders move imminent
NRL PREMIERSHIP

• July 23, 2020 4:30pm
  • DARCIE MCDONALD
  • Source: FOX SPORTS

Corey Harawira-Naera has been released by the Bulldogs. (Photo by Mark Kolbe/Getty Images).Source: Getty Images
The Bulldogs have confirmed the release of Corey Harawira-Naera, saying it was “in the best interest of both parties” if the Kiwi Test backrower got a “fresh start away from Belmore.”

In a statement released on Thursday, the club also confirmed that Jayden Okunbor will remain at the club.

“After discussions with both Jayden and Corey it has been agreed that Corey will leave the club and Jayden will stay at Belmore.

“The club acknowledges that the original decision to deregister the two players was overturned by the NRL Appeals Committee.

“This committee, which was headed by a former High Court Judge of Australia, made a ruling that stated that the players’ contracts at the Bulldogs were binding and that the club was required to uphold these contracts.

Barrett officially a Bulldog

9:19
“As such, the club met with both Jayden and Corey in regard to resuming their contracts at Belmore.

“Jayden expressed his desire to remain at Belmore and apologised unreservedly to the club and the wider rugby league community for the harm he had caused to all parties.

“He has since undergone counselling as part of his rehabilitation and has pledged to offer his time to be involved in a full reintegration into the Bulldogs Community program.

“Corey also apologised for his actions to all parties concerned, however, after further discussion with the player it was felt that in the best interests of both parties he get a fresh start away from Belmore.”

MORE NRL NEWS

‘GOING BETTER THAN UNION’: Fittler ignites cross-code war over teen sensation

BIG HINT: 20-year old opens the door for SBW to make return to Roosters

JIMMY BRINGS: How Tigers teammates gave it to Matterson on Mad Monday

COACHING PUZZLE: Three axed, three more in strife, big names updating their CVs

Harawira-Naera and Okunbor were deregistered before the season started after an off-field incident during pre-season.

The deregistrations of both players were then overturned in an appeal earlier this month.

Chair Lynne Anderson said the following:

“After the NRL Appeals Committee overturned the original deregistration of the players and stated the players’ contracts be upheld, we sat down with both Corey and Jayden.

“While we made it clear to both players that what had happened was unacceptable and had caused enormous harm to all involved, we also believed that it was important to have honest conversations with both Corey and Jayden.

“Both were extremely contrite and understanding of the harm they had caused and apologised unreservedly.

Raiders sign banned Bulldog

1:33
“At the end of those conversations it became clear that while Jayden very much wanted to be given a second chance at Belmore, it was in the best interests of both parties if Corey was given a release to make a fresh start somewhere else.

“While we totally understand that the behaviour that took place was unacceptable, we also looked at the opportunity for a second chance and for the ability of the individuals to redeem themselves.

“Jayden is a local junior who has been with the club since the U14’s all the way through to our NRL squad. He has readily agreed to undergo further educational courses in this area and be part of a community program on his return to the club.”

Harawra-Naera, who played 21 games for the Bulldogs, has been linked to the Raiders on a deal until the end of 2022. It’s expected Canberra will announce the signing in the coming days.

ATT

Kennel Established
Reaction score
If reports are true he didn’t want play for the club. Sad to see him go. But he is not irreplaceable. Good luck in you future. On ward and upward for the dogs

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One is going to make it up to the club and fans despite the same treatment from the club and the other is going to a winning team. Fuck him

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I can't say I'm all too saddened to see him go. He's a decent player at times, but can also fade out of games. I'd rather we replace him with someone than to have him round the club if he's pissed off and spreading a cancerous attitude. I also won't be sad if he cops a season ending injury and has to sit out the finals.

Hopefully next year we're able to out perform the Raiders and he regrets the decision to leave.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The fuck is actually going on here

We let this c*** leave early at least sit him down till starr of 2021 fuck him he has a contract
Fuck anyone siding with Corey you little fucking bitch

And Okunbor fuck him off he is the cause to this
His a shit player sucking up to us to stay

Wake the fuck up
Not much use getting the shits about how things have panned out. Okunbor can hopefully improve his flaws enough to make us glad we gave him another chance. He's provised just enough highlights to think that if these become a regular thing he'll be an asset. And as much as CHN has it in him to be a good player, obviously his attitude would have been poor if we'd insisted he stay. Sometimes it's best to just cut off infected tissue.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
FMD, And they had NO BALLS to demand something or someone in return........
THIS PISSES ME OFF THE MOST
yep and we did it with klemmer too , we could learn alot from the storm and the ado carr stance

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Of course droppenball stayed, no one else would want him. Once again left with the dregs.

This was a complete balls up from everyone from the NRL to the board, and as usual with this club now it’s the fans that pay

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Round 16 circled.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
make me think were stuck with elliot for the long term now

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I got the impression reading this that Okunbor was willing to undergo counselling and do anything the club wanted him to basically but maybe CHN wasn't so willing.

Oka was more desperate to get back in the good books obviously with less or no other clubs showing real interest. Maybe CHN thought he wasn't in the same boat as Oka and his punishment should be less. I'd just like to know the truth about what the club did with them after they were de-registered. Surely the club knew there was a good chance the players would be registered again one day in the near future so the club needed to stay on good terms with them for when that day came. Maybe the club was lazy though, maybe they thought they had more time - ie: they wouldn't be allowed to come back til next year but whatever the reason the club should have known there was an appeals process and it was possible the players would come back this year - after all we needed these players back badly.

I agree that CHN seems like a real dick but just on top of many other little things it does suggest that maybe this was a bit of a f..k up by our current admin to some degree. If we wanted to really keep him we could have easily outbid the Raiders and upgraded him by 50K or so - I'm sure his anger would have soon settled for extra cash - but the club probably thought it wrong to reward him for bad behaviour in the end and we know how politically correct they are now. We can't put all the blame on CHN though because we don't know what happened behind the scenes.

I'm just gonna be spewing when I see CHN carve up US and other teams in future. We really need a strike backrower especially after missing out on Bateman and Fifita. Elliott just isn't in the same class and never will be. If we had Bateman or Fifita I wouldn't be concerned at all but finding someone to replace CHN and for the same money is probably gonna prove impossible.

I really think if handled differently the situation could have been resolved and CHN would be with us for the rest of this year when we really desperately need him 10 times more than last year's Grand Finalists do

I'd also really like to know if we did have to pay CHN any $$$$ in back pay as was reported and if so did the Raiders pay us back for this.

Last edited:

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Good riddance. He must be one weak human to get so upset no one called him, id like to onow what the team think of him. Grow up ya flog and do the right thing and you wouldnt be in this situation. Simple. They get paid so much and they always fuck it up and cry poor that they are hard done by.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
Pathetic. No wonder we are last. Release one of our only good players for no compensation to a top 4-8 team... while coming deadlast. Nice work. Fucking muppets.

Pop the champers

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I didn't realise the NRL's own body overturned the appeals. I was under the impression it was a specific and separate court, like in the case of Man City/UEFA.

It just makes this situation even more of a joke considering the reason it's now better for both parties is because the same NRL deregistered the players initially.

Now they overturn their own decision and we are the bad guys for doing what was right?

This guy fucked a high schooler after meeting on club duty. He isn't a fucking saint and somehow we will come out looking like we did the wrong thing.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Fukin pussies but I'm not going to waste anymore energy on the pathetic ****.

In a few years when we've gone threw this low he will not be apart of what happens and what will be hard earnt!

I hope his timing at the Raiders coincides with them after there peak and on the decline.

Eat a dik CHN and goodnight!

dogzofwar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fuk him he is a loss though was one of our best for sure..why couldn’t tolman be chatting up school girls and get caught

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We'll move on from this.

He had the world at his feat at the Bulldogs and could've been a future captain.

His loss in my opinion. He's made a lot of fuck ups in the past - not just this one, so I wish the Raiders luck for the future as he's learned nothing from this.