Club captains formally announced

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I’d say if not for the fact that he is isolated on the wing, he probably would‘ve been chosen. Having him in the leadership group is just as good tbh. He’ll still help his centre and fullback and be his encouraging self. When you think of where each leader is positioned on the field, it makes more sense why CC has made this decision. From JAC to Kiks, Burton, then King and Reed in the middle, then Ray out wider. They have almost the width of the field covered. When you think of it like this it creates a level of accountability and reassurance (for the younger players) having a leader so close to them regardless of where they are on the field. It has the potential to work very well. Let’s hope it does.
100% and i was thinking the same thing. We will have a well respected, and recognised leader from on side of the field to the other. So every player standing next to each of thes guys will feel a sense of responsibility to get the job done for that captain/leader. They will also have a good relationship with them, and know that they have their support.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IMO, RFM is the clear leader but he wants Reed and Burto to lead. Reed has been there a few weeks, no way he has earns the right to lead the boys IMO. Burton, is in his second proper full year of first grade and needs to concentrate as being a half IMO.
I get the impression that RFM is a little quiet and reserved. More the type to lead by his actions, not the one to constantly be talking to the ref. Just my take. But recognising him as a leader of culture within the club gives him the same respect, but allows him to lead in his own way.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I just think he’s trying to turn us into Penrith 20, Fam.

I don’t want this great club to be turned into some cheap Penrith knock off. We have tried to rip off another club and it’s culture twice now. The first time yielded us some success, but didn’t deliver us a premiership, and led to our junior systems and pathways being gutted… the second time was an unmitigated disaster.

What’s that saying about insanity and repeating your mistakes? I don’t want to follow a Penrith wannabe RSL act. I want to follow by beloved Bulldogs, baby!
You may need to take your carbon copy Panther allegations to Gus rather than Cam.

But Gus has form and good form - he turned both Rooster and Panther into winners and now he’s doing the same at Belmore.

The other examples you’re referring to are the des era and Barrett? Little fear of those being repeated.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
You may need to take your carbon copy Panther allegations to Gus rather than Cam.

But Gus has form and good form - he turned both Rooster and Panther into winners and now he’s doing the same at Belmore.

The other examples you’re referring to are the des era and Barrett? Little fear of those being repeated.
As long as he doesn’t hold any grudges, I guess….we kinda dogged him in the 80s.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Far too many cooks in the kitchen, I fear it shows a lack of making hard decisions from the coach wanting to be friends with everyone, that's not how you win games by being friend with your players, there needs to be a coach player relationship not acting like mates which is what I'm seeing from our coach.
This dosnt past the smell test mate…they r buying that many players creating a competitive but tight unit, there is some science to coaching, they don’t give the big bucks for nothing…think the let’s all be buddies season is done.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
As long as he doesn’t hold any grudges, I guess….we kinda dogged him in the 80s.
We did. He certainly didn’t forget (regardless of forgive) the Moore/Anderson clan nepotism for punting him for Opes in ‘89 (after winning the comp as a first year coach in ‘88) and with them gone that’s why he’s onboard - if anything to potentially prove success that doesn’t involve them. I’m happy to let it play out.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
We did. He certainly didn’t forget (regardless of forgive) the Moore/Anderson clan nepotism for punting him for Opes in ‘89 (after winning the comp as a first year coach in ‘88) and with them gone that’s why he’s onboard - if anything to potentially prove success that doesn’t involve them. I’m happy to let it play out.
Just as long as he’s in it for the right reasons. Nobody is doubting his footy smarts.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A 5 or 6 man leadership group is nothing new these days. Having co-captains also isn't rare these days. Giving a long term player the recognition of being club captain, while not being run-on captain, is less common, although I'm sure it's happened before. I expect Ray will be a leader among the young blokes and do a bit more with sponsors among other things.

There was no stand-out option for captain, so sharing it between the 2 blokes who need to be our most influential over a season, and giving them the on field authority, makes sense. I'm sure it will all work fine and we'll probably go back to one on-field captain in 24.

Reactions: TAS

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Love all the positives. A big change from years past. 23 will be great for us that bleed blue an white baby !!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
You’d think I was Irish with the amount of taters I eat. Well, I do have some Irish in my ancestry lol. I have (air fried) chips almost daily and scallops occasionally, but the good frozen ones I normally get have been out of stock for ages grr. Bloody potato shortage! Also eat chips and potato and gravy when I get KFC.
Certainly nothing wrong with the varying ways to eat a spud..can make a pretty damn nice mash too with a few simple additions i.e add some butternut pumpkin, sour cream, a little cheese etc etc there are endless options, in summary mashed taters rock.
Agree on the KFC thing too..and popcorn chicken love those little bites of loveliness too, good dippers for the mash n gravy tub.

Since a couple of you guys have mentioned scallops I have a real hankering for them now you bastards lol, sadly in my small town no fucking fish and chip shop(true story)but I'll be having some next time I'm on tour.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Flanagun can't handle it that were finally building towards being successful again as that means there are less duds he can stick up for.. Now he has to go into overdrive being the Kennel contrarian because everything is so positive that he has to find negatives to spin and cry about. He's not a real fan of the Bulldogs, he's a fan of himself and his own bullshit. He'd rather see us struggle with average players than be successful. We could win a premiership and he'd still complain about who knows what.
100% this.

Stinger

Kennel Established
Reaction score
In today’s game the biggest role is winning over the ref so you get more 50/50 calls. It’s all politics. That’s why Cam Smith and Mick Ennis were such strong captains. Those cheeky comments while also being respectful can really swing the calls. Reed is the cheeky one and Burton has that aura of being an innocent/honest country boy with a celebrity status. It’s perfect!
Yeah I like your perspective. Makes a lot of sense.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Now that I've thought about it, it's actually the best option moving forward. They can pick an outright captain the following year once someone stands out.

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
All, rather than resonding to Flanaguns Troll thread, and give him exactly what you wants just give a thumbs up or similar to someone in the thread already calling him out. He measures his success as to how many pages his threads get, not what is said in the threads. I no longer respond to his troll threads. If he wanted to just give his opinion he could have done it in this thread.

I think Flanagun wanting to hold on to the losing culture of the current dogs team and his support of players such as Adam Elliot and Kyle Flanagan says everything that needs to be said.

judyisapunk

Kennel Established
Reaction score
meh, some of the best teams in recent times have or had two captains.. Roosters in Cordner/Friend, Penrith with Cleary/Yeo

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
FFS, it’s not that deep folks. This biggest issue we will see is who will touch the trophy first after the Grand Final..THAT IS ALL!

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As many have already said, leadership group is super normal.
Ray will handle press conferences and off field captain duties.
Burto and Reed will run the team on game day.
The other 3 are leadership roles. Indigenous, Polynesian and White to cover all bases when it comes to cultural concerns. These 3 are also versatile in the sense that we have an outside back, an edge forward and a middle. This opens up avenues for literally anyone in the squad to have someone to go to within the playing group about any concerns they may have.
Anyone suggesting Ciro has chosen this path due to indecision isn’t thinking straight. I believe him and his coaching staff have thought about this thoroughly and this is by far the best option for 2023.
If you’re comparing us to the Tigers and what McGuire did last year think about this. That was a man throwing a Hail Mary to try and keep his job. Last ditch effort type stuff. This is not the case with Ciraldo.