Clint Gutherson has been informed by the Eels that they are ringing around for a fullback

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
‘I can’t believe it’: Eels meet with Gutherson as shock recruitment play for ‘X-factor’ fullback revealed

Moses re-signs with Eels till 2028 | 01:22

Fox League from Fox Sports
March 26th, 2023 5:57 pm

The Parramatta Eels have held a meeting with fullback Clint Gutherson as they prepare to head to the open market in a bid to end their premiership drought this season.

Speaking to Nine News on Sunday afternoon, The Sydney Morning Herald’s Michael Chammas revealed the Eels are looking to add some spark to their backline.

It meant sitting down with Gutherson, who Chammas reported has “given the club his blessing” to make any moves it believes will help deliver a title to Parramatta.

“The Parramatta Eels in the past week have been ringing people in the game looking for a fullback,” Chammas reported.

“I spoke to the club, they say they informed Clint Gutherson of their pursuit of a fullback. They say they are just looking for a game-breaker and X-factor to add to their backline.

“It doesn’t mean Gutherson will be dethroned as the fullback but it does mean they’re on the lookout for someone who could play in that position, potentially forcing a reshuffle there.”

That could involve Gutherson moving to centre or even starting at fullback with the new recruit, whoever it may be, coming off the bench to replace him.

It is a bold move from Parramatta, who scored its first win of the year earlier this week in a golden point thriller against Western Sydney rivals Penrith.

Gutherson, the team’s captain, has been with the Eels since 2016 and formed a strong combination with existing halves Dylan Brown and Mitchell Moses.

Premiership-winning fullback Billy Slater was in shock when he learned of the news.

“I can’t believe it, to be honest,” Slater said on Channel Nine.

“I think Clint Gutherson is one of the best fullbacks in the game. Sometimes we look at the shiny, bright stuff that the fullbacks can do, and Gutherson adds so much more to that team than the bright, shiny stuff.

“I look at that position and think, ‘Can that team win a competition with that player at fullback?’ and I can see that with Clint Gutherson.

“So I can’t believe that they would be looking elsewhere.”

silva

Utility
Reaction score
Tigers should get him he’d be great for them

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
No way they get a better fullback than Gutherson. Tedesco, Latrell, Tommy T, Paps, Edwards, Walsh & Manu are not available.
That’s why I’m wondering who have they found or targeting that they think is ‘x-factor’ and better than what they have atm

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
That’s why I’m wondering who have they found or targeting that they think is ‘x-factor’ and better than what they have atm
Jayden Campbell? Brad Arthur does do dumb decisions.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Where are they going to find a better fullback than gutherson unless they are going after turbo cause Teddy is signed up and Papy is injured. His passion for Parra is like James Grahams was for us. Can’t understand it.
Not convinced RTS is any better.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ma
Thankfully I made it up and it won't happen.
Makes sense though with waqa Blake being told he won’t be re-signed for next season and Brown released early. RTS isn’t working out in rugby and won’t make that All Blacks squad at this point.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Who is to say there's much if any truth to this? They know they're stuck with him for a while and are unlikely to get anyone better.. Sounds like a bullshit hot take from a journo that's more fantasy than reality.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Eels and their terrible retention decisions

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I hate the bloke. But Gutho has single handedly kept the eels alive this year. Without him they’d be 0-4. He’s been impressive. They’ll probably move him to centre and get rid of Blake. But who’s available to sign?

Laughable that they also just re-signed him for big money.