Opinion Climate Change

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
We’d all be swimming 24/7 if we listened to experts like Tim Flannery haha
Flannery is one of those guys who's argued his way into a position of power under a naive government that saw that he had scientific degrees and they couldn't tell the difference between Paleontology and Climatology.

He's one of those activists that doesn't care about the science unless it supports his preconceived notions. It's the same problem I criticise conservatives for. Only following the extreme fringe scientific positions that supports their belief.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Flannery is one of those guys who's argued his way into a position of power under a naive government that saw that he had scientific degrees and they couldn't tell the difference between Paleontology and Climatology.

He's one of those activists that doesn't care about the science unless it supports his preconceived notions. It's the same problem I criticise conservatives for. Only following the extreme fringe scientific positions that supports their belief.
Very true and unfortunately there is a lot of those scientists around

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very true and unfortunately there is a lot of those scientists around
I find that it's not so much the scientists, or at least, not the climate or earth based scientists. It's usually celebrities or occasionally scientists using their "credentials" to talk about things they know little about.

Geologists are good at this. They'll get a job working for an oil company, then next thing you know they get promoted and at the same time, appear on 2GB telling everyone that climate change isn't real while saying "trust me, I'm a geologist"

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Is it just me or does Eagle1 read like he's related to the Dawg?
Dawg's more direct and pompous.

This guy waffles...it's yet another manifestation of Nasheed...a pest who infests most threads with nonsense (because he can) and either thinks he's witty and amusing or just has nuisance value.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
"Australian bosses say the climate crisis is the biggest challenge facing their businesses – in contrast to their overseas counterparts, who have ranked recovering from the Covid-19 pandemic their top concern.

“Climate change impacts” were rated the No 1 concern by 18% of 155 Australian executives surveyed by accounting firm Ernst & Young, followed by technological disruption (17%) and “the continuing Covid-19 pandemic” (15%).

Globally, the positions of climate change and the pandemic were reversed, with the pandemic considered the biggest challenge by 18%, the economy second with 12% and global heating a distant third at just 9%.

EY’s managing director of strategy and transactions, David Larocca, said:

We think this reflects both the fact that locally the pandemic has been handled comparatively well and also our C-suite consider Covid’s impacts to be short-term.

It also reflects the priority position investors are now giving sustainability and climate change when making their decisions.

Over the past few years investors, including large superannuation funds, have ramped up pressure on boards and executives to commit the companies they lead to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

In response to investor pressure, Australia’s two big miners, BHP and Rio Tinto, have said they will attempt to reduce their emissions to net zero by 2050, while major banks ANZ and NAB have committed to reducing or eliminating their funding for coal projects.

The election of Joe Biden has also increased pressure on Australia and its corporate sector to do more on climate."

KambahOne

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing I find truly amusing about this debate is the only ones that seem to be on the denier side are the ever shrinking group of right wing politicians and their screaming heads in the media. The majority of industries, companies and corporations have recognised the ramifications of it and are moving to mitigate and the reason for that is simple, there is no productivity or money to be made from clinging to an ideology. They see the practicalities of moving away from fossil fuels, embracing renewables and reducing their carbon footprint.

If capitalists are believers, why aren't their usual champions on board?

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
The predicted pole movement is Siberian Pools and King George island both highly volcanic and link to the St Andreas fault line if they become active and that's a big if it would be the end of the world as you know it so let's hope the ice gets there in time on that equation

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score