Opinion Climate Change

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't believe 8n climate change as 8n what is being proposed by society atm.

I do believe however that we do unduly pollute the earth and need to take reasonable measures to counter that.

I also believe that we have time on our side and don't need to make rash decisions when weighing up functional society vs cleaner society.

I'm all for a cleaner planet but we must also look at how a cleaner planet will effect us on a personal and productive level in the future.

Our grids are loaded to the Max now, how much more so when we rely on electricity to replace fossil fuel. Technology is not currently advanced enough to rely solely on electricity.
On climate change, my suggestion to everyone is to not listen to the politicians, or the alarmists, or the deniers, or anyone like that. Just read the scientific journals.

Nature Journal provides a very good write up from a scientific perspective based on actual scientific data and it's written in a way that the general public can understand.

Electrical grids is another thing. We're close but we need some more efficient storage.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Personally I'd go with the furnace tip idea because when a fire is hot enough you pretty much have zero emissions
That's not true. No matter how hot a fire gets, matter can't be destroyed. Only converted.

But there are other methods of energy generation. Nuclear had virtually no greenhouse gas emissions but creates a small amount of nuclear waste.

Renewables are inconsistent and need some form of backup, and batteries are not environmentally friendly.

But renewables are looking like the best option currently as the Australian government won't legalise nuclear energy.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Renewable energy boom could force coal power to close early, says new report

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
That's not true. No matter how hot a fire gets, matter can't be destroyed. Only converted.

But there are other methods of energy generation. Nuclear had virtually no greenhouse gas emissions but creates a small amount of nuclear waste.

Renewables are inconsistent and need some form of backup, and batteries are not environmentally friendly.

But renewables are looking like the best option currently as the Australian government won't legalise nuclear energy.
If it's molten recycled metal there is limited fume

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I don’t get the push to close coal fired power stations in Australia. I heard today on radio that countries are building new stations all over the world. Turkey 90, India 1000, South Korea 26, Japan 45, China 1000. What are we really achieving here. Are we just a laughing stock to these countries. Our footprint is negligible on these nations, what are we really achieving? Especially when we have the resources here. Didn’t Texas have hundreds of thousands of customers left with no power due to wind turbines freezing over becoming inoperable of late. Surely that’s not a solution for countries in the northern hemisphere

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
On climate change, my suggestion to everyone is to not listen to the politicians, or the alarmists, or the deniers, or anyone like that. Just read the scientific journals.

Nature Journal provides a very good write up from a scientific perspective based on actual scientific data and it's written in a way that the general public can understand.

Electrical grids is another thing. We're close but we need some more efficient storage.
Are there any pictures in these journals?

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t get the push to close coal fired power stations in Australia. I heard today on radio that countries are building new stations all over the world. Turkey 90, India 1000, South Korea 26, Japan 45, China 1000. What are we really achieving here. Are we just a laughing stock to these countries. Our footprint is negligible on these nations, what are we really achieving? Especially when we have the resources here. Didn’t Texas have hundreds of thousands of customers left with no power due to wind turbines freezing over becoming inoperable of late. Surely that’s not a solution for countries in the northern hemisphere
What radio station? Did they quote a study, report or finding?

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
What radio station? Did they quote a study, report or finding?
Can’t remember station was on AM. Either abc or 2GB. I may have the China India numbers wrong they may have been 1000 combined. I haven’t read anything just a guy was in talking with presenter. Huge numbers if correct though when we’re talking about closing some of ours. We’d be lucky to have 20 across the country

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
If it's molten recycled metal there is limited fume
That wouldn't be very viable. Metals tend to melt without providing any real energy output. It would take much more energy to melt the metal and you're still left with metal biproducts.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
On the the coal power stations, its a bit of a mixed bag. We made up about 1-3% of the CO2 production in the world. Not much. But we also provide around 30% of the world's coal. So if we wanted to have a real impact then we'd stop exporting coal. But that would screw our economy, and it would lead to countries using worse coal. But it would also lead to coal prices going up so it would lead to less coal use overall.

The real problem is CO2 emissions per capita. Per person we emit more CO2 than USA, China and India. The problem being the latter two. If we say that we won't reduce our emissions then we're telling poorer countries that they have to reduce their emissions to make up for us keeping our comfy lifestyle. So the suggestion is that we should at least do our part. Especially when countries like China are way ahead of us in renewable development.

In regard to Texas, wind power makes up about 5% of their energy generation. They had a cold snap leading to around -30 degree C temps. And yes, that froze wind turbines. But it also froze the turbines in the coal power stations. So renewables wasn't their problem. They just weren't prepared for a massive drop in temperature.

This is one of the main reasons people started using "climate change" instead of "global warming". Global warming is still a thing. But it's part of climate change. And the important part of climate change is that the whole climate changes. Summers get hotter. Places that never had snow before are now getting blizzards that literally freeze waterfalls and power stations.

Climate change isn't just warmer temperatures. It's everything else that comes with it. Rising sea levels, ocean acidification, chaotic storms, blizzards, drought to previously fertile areas and flooding to previously moderate drought areas. Weather extremes.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Can’t remember station was on AM. Either abc or 2GB. I may have the China India numbers wrong they may have been 1000 combined. I haven’t read anything just a guy was in talking with presenter. Huge numbers if correct though when we’re talking about closing some of ours. We’d be lucky to have 20 across the country
You have to be careful with 2GB. They tend to conveniently leave out any facts that would make the fossil fuel industry look bad. But that makes sense because they are heavily sponsored by the fossil fuel companies.

Not that any other media is much better. They all have an agenda. But the 2GB radio presenters are effectively fossil fuel propaganda agents.

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Can’t wait for the season to start. All these idealist threads about politics, climate change or whatever. Just some **** without a life posting threads they no will piss people off. Stick to footy ... that’s why we are all here isn’t it?????

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
Can’t wait for the season to start. All these idealist threads about politics, climate change or whatever. Just some **** without a life posting threads they no will piss people off. Stick to footy ... that’s why we are all here isn’t it?????
No that’s the footy section you want. We are here to talk about stuff that pisses people off.

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
Renewable energy boom could force coal power to close early, says new report
Coal can be stockpiled at old power stations for backup power systems and run on skeleton crews for caretaking

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
That's interesting stuff. Totally not relevant to what's having right now, but it's interesting none the less.
All climates aka atmospheres operate within these magnetic field think of the core of earth like a microcosm, life exists withing protective barrier of the electromagnetic spectrum or cellform but it's the motion of the earth that interacts with this field aswell creating gravity, so really in hindsight the poles moving plays the biggest part in atmospheric change and weather patterns including ocean currents etc because one form of matter is constantly rebounding of the next ebb and flow principle of the hermetic order really but in hindsight all 7 principles are in a constant flow of perpetuality , one part doesn't operate without the other so balance is key

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Cook:

"Didn’t Texas have hundreds of thousands of customers left with no power due to wind turbines freezing over becoming inoperable of late. Surely that’s not a solution for countries in the northern hemisphere".

Did you really accept what the Republican Governor said as the explanation for their whole of State loss of power and running interruptions to power?