Cleeland pushing for bulldogs debut.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back-up Canterbury playmaker Josh Cleeland is quietly putting together a very impressive resume of NRL mentors as he continues his search for an elusive Telstra Premiership debut.

The 26-year-old Ipswich product won an Intrust Super Cup grand final under the Walker brothers, Ben and Shane, in 2015, before spending the 2016 season learning from premiership halves combination James Maloney and Chad Townsend at Cronulla.

His 2017 shift to Belmore taught him plenty about fight and competitiveness from the feisty Josh Reynolds, while the fleet-footed Moses Mbye helped him hone his already dangerous running game.

Now, heading into 2018 and hoping to finally earn an NRL start, Cleeland gets the chance to add Kiwi international Kieran Foran to his burgeoning list of mentors.

"He's a really good player and really good bloke," Cleeland said.

"He's played Tests, he's got experience and it would be good just to get a few pointers off him when he gets on the field. It will help my game a lot.

"Hopefully I can get down and have a coffee with him and pick his brain and see if I can get a few ideas."

It's not just Foran that Cleeland is looking to emulate.

"It's been [an] interesting [few years]," he said.

"Ipswich was more of a touch footy kind of thing, it's exciting and you had a lot of fun. Coming down to the Sharks and learning some structure was always going to be a different game because I'd never played structure before so that was my first year.

"It was definitely hard. I had Chad and Maloney there helping me out. I had to write down plays just to get it in my head and understand what it means and all that kind of stuff.

"After that year I came to the Dogs, it came easier talking to 'Grubby' [Reynolds] and Moses and hopefully this is the year coming up [that I can debut]."

RELATED ARTICLES
Woods relishing Klemmer partnership
NRL register Foran, Woods to Bulldogs

The steepest learning curve was no doubt the first year going from an Intrust team to a full-time NRL set-up at the Sharks.

"Especially at Sharks with Chad and Maloney's kicking game, they really put a lot into their kicking so it taught me a lot there, even just the way to kick the ball, we didn't really practise that at Ipswich too much," Cleeland said.

"It really got me grounded and understanding the way to kick then coming to the Bulldogs and learning off Grubby, the way to play hard and fast and play with pride in your jersey and Moses, same thing, speed and skill. It's all been good and just trying to fit it into my game."

Cleeland was consistently dangerous in the Intrust Super Premiership NSW for the Bulldogs in 2017, cutting through defences on a regular basis with his dangerous running game and setting up plenty of four-pointers for his teammates.

Given Canterbury's attacking woes at the top level, Cleeland's performances didn't go unnoticed by fans with plenty of the blue and white faithful questioning why he wasn't at least given a shot once the club's finals hopes slipped away.

Cleeland was diplomatic about his non-selection, and simply hoped for a chance to prove he can cut it in the NRL arena under incoming coach Dean Pay.

"It's always exciting getting a new coach. It makes it a level playing ground with the boys so it makes it more, everyone's playing for spots to it makes it more exciting at training," Cleeland said.

"I was always hoping I'd get [a debut] last year but it didn't come. I'm putting that in the back of my head trying to get this year under way with a pretty good start so hopefully I go pretty well in pre-season and do everything [Pay] wants and learn off Foran and a few of the other boys there.

"There's a bit of a change-up in the team. I don't know if anything's been concreted yet. I don't know if he wants to play Foran as a half [then I'm a chance] as a five-eighth or he could go with [Matt] Frawley or Moses ... there's a few options he can choose, I think it will come down to pre-season and see what he's thinking

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That stood out for me also.
Agreed, 24 or 25 seems a late age to be learning structures and set plays.

Should be okay alongside Foran, but it does put more reliance on Foran to steer the ship.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
How old was Cody walker when he got a go?

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score

Should be okay alongside Foran, but it does put more reliance on Foran to steer the ship.
In this instance it may be a good thing that Hasler didn't get to him with that stuff.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
To me Foran starts at 7 with Cleeland at 6. I'd actually have Brown start at 9 for the first 30 minutes with Lichaa playing the last 50 min. Frawley would only be in the team when Foran is missing.

Last edited:

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In this instance it may be a good thing that Hasler didn't get to him with that stuff.
100% agree would have poisoned his mind. Probably why Hasler never considered picking him either. How would he carry out the master plan?

Last edited:

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To me Foran starts at 6 with Cleeland at 6. I'd actually have Brown start at 9 for the first 30 minutes with Lichaa playing the last 50 min. Frawley would only be in the team when Foran is missing.
Two 5/8s?

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Not sure he can kick on... but well see.

He has done some flukey stuff, nothing which I view as repeatable.

N

Natboy

Not sure he can kick on... but well see.

He has done some flukey stuff, nothing which I view as repeatable.
He seems to do flukey stuff every game I’ve seen him play so might be the x-factor we haven’t had since Barbie left

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quote:"Given Canterbury's attacking woes at the top level, Cleeland's performances didn't go unnoticed by fans with plenty of the blue and white faithful questioning why he wasn't at least given a shot once the club's finals hopes slipped away".

How would they author know this? They must have been trawling through The Kennel.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

Oh yeah at 26 he has plenty of seasons left in him if he can make a go of 1st grade.

I was just surprised as I thought he was younger.

But again this highlights to me the biggest gamble for next season as far as the team is concerned and that is Mybe at fullback!

I hope we are not all debating after round 5 if Mybe should be playing 1 or 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.