Not open for further replies.

off-tap-robbie

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Matt Buxton (Twitter: @MattBuxton)

Sat 1st July, 05:00PM

CLASSY CLEELAND: The crafty five-eighth scored a double in the second half.

The class of Josh Cleeland guided the Canterbury Bulldogs to a last minute 22-20 thriller over the New Zealand Warriors at Belmore Sports Ground.

The crafty five-eighth scored the all important match winning try, but not before scoring another at the start of the second half, and playing a large role in one in the opening few minutes of the contest.

The Bulldogs received a penalty on the opening tackle of the match, and the following set was finished off beautifully when Craig Garvey dribbled a perfect grubber into the in-goal to force a dropout.

Some quick hands from the Bulldogs right-side opened the scoring for the home team, when Cleeland held the ball up beautifully before passing to Brenko Lee, who tipped it on for Tyrone Phillips to score with little room to work with.

The next period of the game was a tight tussle, with the Warriors putting on a mountain of pressure that the Bulldogs consistently resisted.

Eventually, after the best part of 15 minutes attempting to punch through the line, the Warriors eventually scored through a rampaging Isaiah Papalii, before Fetalaiga Pauga slotted the conversion to lock the scores up at 6-all.

A beautiful-looking double pump by Lachlan Lewis hit the chest of Reimis Smith, who then could have strolled over if the referee had not correctly pulled the play up for an obstruction.

The Warriors marched up-field following the penalty, and doubled their lead when in-form prop Toafofoa Sipley crashed over underneath the posts, a try that the Bulldogs will be highly disappointed to concede considering they had defended so well in the early stages of the game.

In the dying stages of the first half, James Bell threw out a powerful left fend to beat his opposite defender and dart away for a try in the right corner that would not be converted, meaning the half-time score was 16-6.

The Bulldogs had to be first to score after the break if they were to remain in the content, and Josh Cleeland took it upon himself to do just that when he took on the line and stepped off his right foot to score just three minutes into the half.

A nice grubber by Jazz Tevaga was re-gathered by Pauga who darted down the right sideline and eventually got the ball away to a supporting Zac Santo, who strolled over to score the Warriors’ fourth try of the afternoon.

A repeat set for the first time since the opening set of the match gave the Bulldogs a chance to hit back, and that’s exactly what they did when Lewis threw a wonderful cut-out pass for Smith, who had plenty of work to do before showing his strength and muscling his way over the line.

In a tense final few minutes of the game, the Bulldogs had a chance to lock the scores up and possibly take the lead when they were on the attack, and got within inches when Lee was brought down just before the line.

They were unable to score off that set, and had another six tackle on the attack shortly after but the desperate Warriors defence held on.

It seemed as though the Warriors had gotten out of jail, before they knocked the ball on while getting out of trouble.

With 90 second remaining, Cleeland once again stood up by taking the line on, stepping off his right foot and scoring the try to lock the scores up in front of a vocal crowd at Belmore Sports Ground.

Rhyse Martin took the all-important conversion, and raised the flags of both touch judge’s as the ball sailed between the sticks.

Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 22 (J Cleeland 2, T Phillips, R Smith tries; R Martin 3 goals) def Warriors 20 (I Papalii, T Sipley, J Bell, Z Santo tries; J Pauga 2 goals)

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2017/07/01/cleeland_magic_seals.html

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Just me or does it sound like our NSW Cup guys are lifting with places possibly up for grabs in first grade??

Wyzguy

Bulldog Tragic
Reaction score
Some of these guys need to be considered for 1sts and be allowed to play an attacking style of play ..7 wins in a row in any grade is an achievement ..

pillow

The Bloodline
Reaction score
I still can't believe lichaa is ahead of Garvey in the pecking order. Garvey isn't great...but fuck he's a shitload better than the **** pretending to be our hooker

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I still can't believe lichaa is ahead of Garvey in the pecking order. Garvey isn't great...but fuck he's a shitload better than the **** pretending to be our hooker
Garvey has been terrible in firstgrade though.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cleeland is being chased by a team in QLD. If he doesnt get a go, he will be gone.
I think he should be given a go now that our season is finished, just to see if he can cut FG.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Cleeland is being chased by a team in QLD. If he doesnt get a go, he will be gone.
I think he should be given a go now that our season is finished, just to see if he can cut FG.
He should go because it's clear he will never get a run here. I expect Lachlan Lewis to leave aswell.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Worse than Lichaa?
Yes i think he is. He's decent for about 10 minutes and then turns to shit. Maybe more NRL match fitness would make a difference? I dunno. All i know is changing players wont do shit until supercoach actually changes our systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.