News Cleary to rest more Panthers against Dogs

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Penrith coach Ivan Cleary has hinted at resting more players for next week's final regular-season clash with Canterbury as preparations begin in earnest for an assault on the NRL title.

The Panthers wrapped up their first minor premiership in 17 years and extended their historic winning streak to 14 with a 32-12 beatdown of North Queensland in Townsville on Friday night.

And they did it after icing captain James Tamou and veteran front-rower Zane Tetevano, while star hooker Apisai Koroisau also failed to fly up due to concussion.

All three are expected to return to face the 15th-placed Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium next Saturday.

However, Cleary suggested others could be given a week off ahead of their home qualifying final the following week, likely to be against Parramatta or the Sydney Roosters.

Middle forward Isaah Yeo and five-eighth Jarome Luai are the only players to have appeared in all 19 games for the Panthers so far this season, while prop James Fisher-Harris has missed just one game.

Asked whether he would sit more players against Canterbury next week, Cleary said: "Yeah, possibly.

"From now on it's all about how we prepare the best we can to be ready for round one of the finals. So yeah, we'll sit down and have a look at this week and see how everyone pulls up out of this game and make some decisions."

Cleary may be forced into making at least two changes, with strike second-rower Viliame Kikau reported for a high tackle on Cowboys fullback Valentine Holmes in the first half.

Kikau, who has served a one-game ban this season for dangerous contact, has 50 carryover points and could be facing another suspension should he be hit with a grade-two charge.

Fullback Dylan Edwards also came off in the second half with what is considered a minor knee issue.

"Yeah, he's got a bit of a knock to his knee. He could've played on, but he was a bit uncomfortable so I just got rid of him," Cleary said.

Cleary also addressed confirmation of Tamou's exit from the foot of the mountains at season's end to join fierce rivals the Wests Tigers on a two-year deal, saying it was due to salary cap pressures.

"Our success has put more pressure on our cap. We've re-signed a bunch of our young guys this year and we're still trying to sign a few of them now," Cleary said.

"Unfortunately when that's happening, when guys are coming through from the bottom and they're playing so well and their value goes up, then someone's got to push out at the top. Unfortunately for us it's James.

"But we're super happy that he's found a new home and he's done an incredible job for us this year. It'd be great to see him down there this week receiving the JJ Giltinan Shield."

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Everyone in the league wants broncos to get the spoon, hopefully Penrith let us have it to seal the fkrs fate
The cowboys were ordinary,I don’t like their chances,against the broncos,if we put in an effort against a depleted panthers,we could avoid the spoon,but regardless,we are definitely not the worst team in this comp,

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
The cowboys were ordinary,I don’t like their chances,against the broncos,if we put in an effort against a depleted panthers,we could avoid the spoon,but regardless,we are definitely not the worst team in this comp,
The cowboys are nowhere near as bad as Brisbane, but Brisbane will be desperate, so nothing is guaranteed. I think we’ll be sweet, but I’m still a big nervous.

Ewan McGrady

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well the tickets should be cheaper for these games. You spend a fortune to get to a weekend game with the family from the regional areas, and The household names who the kids have watched on television all year don’t play. I don’t think this resting is ok.

Caveman

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
U do when they’re match winners.
Mmmmm.... Nahhhh, I disagree.

When your young you heal up pretty fast during the week.

While their hot keep them going, don't risk having them cool off to much, especially if it's likely they'll miss a game in a fortnight if they win their first final.

Older players, yes, rest them every chance you get.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mmmmm.... Nahhhh, I disagree.

When your young you heal up pretty fast during the week.

While their hot keep them going, don't risk having them cool off to much, especially if it's likely they'll miss a game in a fortnight if they win their first final.

Older players, yes, rest them every chance you get.
I don’t agree,but u entitled to your opinion

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cleary has the steak in the back of his mind.. while may rest some he'll still be wanting and playing for the win.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Hopefully the Cowboys do us a solid. After all we helped them clinch 8th spot in 2017 when we beat the Dragons in the final round, so they owe us lol

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
The only thing going for us is the thought in the back of the Panther's minds that they must be due for a loss soon. But the temptation to set a winning streak record will be too great, and the Dogs have shown that they cannot handle sides with speed and skill.

Broncos will do everything in their power to avoid the spoon. Besides, the NRL would rather give it to us, anyway.

I expect the referees to be kind to the Broncos and cane the Cowboys; look after Penrith and award constant sets of six and penalties against us; maybe even bin one our players for good measure.