Official City V Country Some Bulldogs Players

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Interesting looking at City 16s vs City 18s. For the 16s it's all Penrith, Eels and Manly (via Eels I'm sure) then at the 18s once more teams get involved the talent is more widely spread.

Tends to indicate that age 15/16 is the time to pick up the best young players. Would need the backing of local schools though as it's a big deal pulling kids out of school with their mates especially from the Penrith area.

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Some people on here believe we can become a success just by relying on our great juniors coming through. This shows we have a lot of work to do in that area.
Nasheed here,
Bulldogs juniors is a myth.
There’s barely any bulldogs juniors in the nrl.
I’ve explained why and I’m not bothered to repeat myself. But for those who think we have a great production line, try counting the number of current born and bred bulldogs players who have played more than 20 games in the nrl and see if you hit double figures

MIR-PROD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
I’ve explained why and I’m not bothered to repeat myself. But for those who think we have a great production line, try counting the number of current born and bred bulldogs players who have played more than 20 games in the nrl and see if you hit double figures
Ryan Matterson, Martin Taupau, Api Koroisau, David Klemmer, Josh Reynolds, Daniel Tupou, Josh Mansour, Marcelo Montoya, Aiden Sezer, Jayden Okunbor, Jack Cogger, Isaac Lumelume, Sione Mata’utia, Jack Averillo, Brandon Wakeham

Nasheed

Banned
Gilded
Reaction score
Ryan Matterson, Martin Taupau, Api Koroisau, David Klemmer, Josh Reynolds, Daniel Tupou, Josh Mansour, Marcelo Montoya, Aiden Sezer, Jayden Okunbor, Jack Cogger, Isaac Lumelume, Sione Mata’utia, Jack Averillo, Brandon Wakeham
So 7 NRL players currently playing today have played more than a seasons worth of nrl games.

I’d argue it’s only 5 though as Api and Man sauce played under 20s at Souths and only played in the teen leagues at Bankstown.
But either way you can see the point. Our junior base is terrible and while it might get better, it won’t get much better with the demographics we have.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Another Hoppa rolling off the production line
lol, as ones Career winds up and rolls off the line, the next rolls on in, it’s Nrl, the possibility of that happening again. is not that low :weary: :tonguewink:

Bulldogsteve

Banned
Premium Member
In the Sin Bin
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
you are myth as before above

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not sure when Greenberg took over, but we began neglecting junior development from then because his opinion was that it's a waste of money to develop juniors when other clubs might just scalp them anyway. The Anderson board initiated moves to improve our junior development by opening up partnerships with a couple of country areas. We might start seeing some results from that soon. But that is no short term fix. The plan when this began was to allow the country kids to finish school in their local areas and stay at home with their parents until they finished school if my memory serves me well. So even now we might have a few players locked up that will join our systems upon graduation. If the club has a few in mind I assume they're probably keeping this out of the spotlight so they don't have other clubs swooping on them.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
no quick fix to a neglected junior base --> eg. Gould from memory became general manager of football at the Panthers in 2011 and it took 5-7 years for that work at the foot of the mountains to start to bear fruit

but if we wish to compare eras, we were a powerhouse in the noughties with strong juniors... we are now the worst team in the comp having neglected our junior development and just trying to rely on recruiting FG talent only and playing roulette with our salary cap

Last edited:

stingray

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Nasheed here,
Get your drift, but if you got a doggy juniour at 14 yo poached for example by manly, is the kid going to say he is a doggy or manly juniour?

example topine, is he really a bulldog juniour, wasnt he recruited from WA?AS A EXAMPLE.