Ciraldo’s mid season report

Suave

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah C+ for mine too. He’s done some really good things - backing Averillo as a centre, switching Okunbur to the forwards, the general comradery he’s created amongst the group.

Our defensive resilience and attack in the opposition 20 are pretty disappointing though it must be said. We also haven’t come close to a complete 80 minute performance yet. Even in our wins we completely fall off and lose composure in large stretches.

I think we’re in serious need of an experienced head in the spine though to be fair so it isn’t all on him. It’s just what you get with a young side.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It’s a pass from me. And the wins are coming from the start of the season. Not the back end when the pressure is not as much.

5 wins 7 losses, not bad considering the previous years we’ve had. Man, think we can be 7 from 7 considering how roosters and parra are travelling

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He gets a C- from me thanks to the titans win. If we lost that it would’ve been a D

I think he’s a quality rugby league mind. Still unproven as a quality coach. Time will tell

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
B rating for me

He really has been served a shit sandwich in the way of injuries so far this season and we have still managed 5 wins

I know we all poke fun at the "Kumbayah" sessions the players had during our pre season but you can't deny the camaraderie and committment that the playing group are showing as a result

More importantly we can finally see improvement and development in alot of our players and we are only 10 rounds into the season

Preston, Averillo, Edwards, Morrin, Okinbour have all noticeably improved, and even Waddell (to a small degree)

He also made an inspiring choice of Mahoney as captain, when there was no standout leader at the start of pre season training

I remember in years gone by we were all complaining how none of our players had improved or developed under Barrett or Pay, but had in fact gone backwards as players

I feel we are definitely building towards something big and although us supporters want instant results, I think CC is doing a great (not perfect) job and will only get better

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
B rating for me

He really has been served a shit sandwich in the way of injuries so far this season and we have still managed 5 wins

I know we all poke fun at the "Kumbayah" sessions the players had during our pre season but you can't deny the camaraderie and committment that the playing group are showing as a result

More importantly we can finally see improvement and development in alot of our players and we are only 10 rounds into the season

Preston, Averillo, Edwards, Morrin, Okinbour have all noticeably improved, and even Waddell (to a small degree)

He also made an inspiring choice of Mahoney as captain, when there was no standout leader at the start of pre season training

I remember in years gone by we were all complaining how none of our players had improved or developed under Barrett or Pay, but had in fact gone backwards as players

I feel we are definitely building towards something big and although us supporters want instant results, I think CC is doing a great (not perfect) job and will only get better
You’ve made points I must admit I’ve taken for granted. CC has kept faith with certain players early in their career. He has also turned around Okinbour by giving him a completely different role. I wonder now if he’s considering Flanno as a 14 to give Mahoney a 15-20 min stint. Especially if Flanno hooking continues to improve in NSW cup. Flanno’s defence is ok too.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
A Solid A.

Finally a coach who doesn't make or except excuses, how refreshing.

No excuse for losses

No excuse considering bad refereeing decisions

No excuse considering crippling injury toll.

If he continues to not allow excuses, then this club is going to be in a strong place for a long long time.
When a coach doesn't make excuses for injuries or bad ref calls it resonates to the playing group who then have no option but to perform, they can't hide behind those excuses for sub par performances. It's a great standard Ciro has set in the club. Good coach, he'd also have better results if he had some of the spine players the teams in the top 8 have.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Hes done good enough with what he has had to deal with, new combos, lots of injuries, and form going into the season. Def best we have had in a long time, but that isnt saying a lot.

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a good article at all .. team aren’t even in those positions on the ladder anymore, e.g the Panthers are actually back on top .. Eagles aren’t even in the 8 anymore ..

And whilst they mention the inclusion of Kikau & Mahoney …. They didn’t even mention that Kikau’s our biggest injured player and pretty much out for the season ..

Fluff piece ..
Its from over 2 weeks ago
Mid season and we've already won more games this year than we have in a full season in the last 5+ years.
Sounds nice doesn't it but upon closer inspection its probably comparable to previous seasons as all the other teams are winning more games, and the top 4 or so aren't dominate as previously. Anyway def nice to win more games. This comp is so even we only need to win a few in a row and we'd be right up the ladder.

dawso047

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
C+ From me.
Tough gig to start with a club that has struggled for years, and then a horrendous injured player list.
Improved player list includes Waddell, Okunbor and to a lesser extent Averillo who was already on the up under Potter.
RFM has regressed.
Pehram and Flanno have been weak links in the spine... why persist with Pehram. Positive development of Edwards, KO and Morrin from NSW Cup.

2099Premiers

Waterboy
Reaction score
He has done ok, but is a bit overhyped for mine. Would like to see more attacking shape and more resolve in D.

I also think he has thrown Oloapu in the deep end a bit too soon. And he bulk buys centres like COVID fuckwits panic buying toilet paper in 2020. No way we’re gonna be able to use all that.

C

Last edited:

Roger the alien

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but are the Bulldogs not in the bottom quarter for just about every stat this year. Attack, defence, errors, discipline, ladder position? If that's a A grade then it just shows that even the fans have accepted mediocrity.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He said in the presser he would have liked 1 or 2 more wins.

It's a pass mark so far, all things considered. The injury crisis and his ability to grind out the wins. If Tbaz had this level of adversity we would 100 percent be rock bottom wondering where our next win would come from.

Breaking the curse of Belmore was massive. You cannot underestimate how hard it is to turn around a struggling club. We saw Tigers go on a losing streak to start the year. Dolphins with a clean slate have no baggage / mentality issues underlying.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
His timing of changes shows that he is methodical in his planning. Waiting until Oloapu was ready. He had a plan to use Reynolds and his experience.

Backing Wilson with a bench spot was also a good move, his debut was too good not to be rewarded.

2099Premiers

Waterboy
Reaction score
His timing of changes shows that he is methodical in his planning. Waiting until Oloapu was ready. He had a plan to use Reynolds and his experience.

Backing Wilson with a bench spot was also a good move, his debut was too good not to be rewarded.
Who says Oloapu is ready? Sure, he can whack ‘em in d, but he hasn’t done anything in attack to indicate he’s even close to being NRL ready as a starting half.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I just wish he chose better benches. He is now but some of them earlier on were just stupidity
I think a lot of that was him trying to work out what he really had in the playing group.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

He didn’t have any other choice but to put KO in otherwise flange would have made sure he got a spoon in his first season as an NRL coach. KO was nowhere near ready but he’s making a good fist of FG

2099Premiers

Waterboy
Reaction score
He didn’t have any other choice but to put KO in otherwise flange would have made sure he got a spoon in his first season as an NRL coach. KO was nowhere near ready but he’s making a good fist of FG
Didn’t we botch up 3 of our 5 victories this year with Flano in the team? I don’t think KO has made much difference, one way or the other. We’ve just had some important players come back in recent weeks and are playing a little better.

If KO isn’t ready, rushing him up won’t help him. He probably should have had Rajab in the top 30 if he wasn’t sure of Flano cutting the mustard.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn’t we botch up 3 of our 5 victories this year with Flano in the team? I don’t think KO has made much difference, one way or the other. We’ve just had some important players come back in recent weeks and are playing a little better.

If KO isn’t ready, rushing him up won’t help him. He probably should have had Rajab in the top 30 if he wasn’t sure of Flano cutting the mustard.
Your eyes must be fucking painted on if you think KO as green as he is, isn’t an improvement on flange.