Ciraldo’s mid season report

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Season so far: There was so much hope heading into this season. The arrival of Cameron Ciraldo — the man considered as the ‘next big thing’ in coaching

—-

-

How would you rate Cameron Ciraldo’s performance so far. For mine…

Important categories.

Performance 42% (5 wins from 12 games)

Team selection 60% (difficult with injuries, definitely not a fan of his bench)

Club/players confidence in his direction, morale and his part in building culture 70%

His coaching influence on Recruitment, retention prospects 70% ( having 2 in origin is a plus)

All up I give him 61% (the average of the above scores ie. satisfactory but with time, must improve)

How do you rate him, feel free to add more categories ….

Last edited:

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For a rookie coach, with everything he’s had to deal with over his first 12 games, he has been outstanding, Anyone asking for more out of our current roster and injury list has NFI.
A- for mine

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Comparing to our dismal performances over the last couple of years with previous coaches, I’m giving him a pass.
My mindset is we are still building and finding our own identify and so far I am content with what I see, purely based on the cards that we have been dealt with ie player injuries.
I never expected top 8, but expected improvement, even if just micro adjustments we’re getting there.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Considering we were unlucky to get Manly in form round 1 when other teams got them in terrible form. Plus getting robbed against the Warriors in our first meeting. I'd say coach has done a pretty good job.

SPEARTAKVIDREFS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It was never going to be a quick fix.
Even with everything on track, I would have expected inconsistent performances this year.

Hes come to a club without NRL quality spine players.
Dispensation from the NRL because we were decimated with injuries up front.
First year as a NRL first grade coach.

So whats the yard stick?
Surely has to be wins and loss's.
Broncos and Souths won 3 more games then us. Penrith who lead the comp 2.

Way to early to know if he is the man.

Bigger picture, taking everything from the last 5 years into consideration, Id say hes doing a pretty good job.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
People need to remember he's a rookie head coach who is 12 games in at a new club that hasn't made the finals in 7 years..

He's doing pretty well at 5-7 with a horrible injury toll and a lot of young players... If anyone expected a significantly better record with Edwards and Okunbur playing 50+ minutes and an 18 year old half, they're kidding themselves..

He handles himself well. That reflects in the team playing more committed and til the 80th minute.. Our fitness is way better than years past.. There's pride back in the jersey.. Things will only improve with more signings to come and everyone gelling.. Plus Ciraldo will keep learning and improving as he gets more experience..

Last edited:

Eesma

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Definitely not an A, because we're not near the top of the ladder. Absolutely a B, though. He has had to deal with a LOT and in his first year as a head coach, too. Despite everything, we're still only 4 points outside the 8 (having won as many games this year as Barrett did his entire tenure) with 2 byes still in hand. Some players have really started to shine under CC's coaching and you can tell he has the respect of the group. I expect, as he gets more experience under his belt and a team of his own choosing, he'll prove a very smart hire.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
For a rookie coach, with everything he’s had to deal with over his first 12 games, he has been outstanding, Anyone asking for more out of our current roster and injury list has NFI.
A- for mine
100%

We didn’t start the season very fancied. By all reports we had one of the worst fullbacks and halfbacks in the comp. We lose our top 4 highest paid players for the majority of the games so far. And we have 5 wins from 10 (barrett fair enough with a worst never had more then a couple of wins from our first 10 games).

So very hard to criticise him. Anyone not named Bennett or Bellamy would not have us doing any better.

That is why I cringe with the Ciraldo Out type of threads.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
He’s doing ok considering circumstances.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I just wish he chose better benches. He is now but some of them earlier on were just stupidity
He's made plenty of mistakes but at least he's shown he's not too proud or stubborn like most coaches to admit it didn't work and make changes... Like with Okunbur and Casey on the wing, Flanagan and Reynolds.. Dropping Sutton and benching RFM..

Even some of the ones that most people questioned like Okunbur in the forwards, Wilson on the bench have worked out well. Plus he's given youngsters like Preston, Oloapu, Edwards, Morrin, Wilson etc chances..

silva

Utility
Reaction score
2nd half of the year we should have better luck with injuries and rack up more wins. Our defence needs to improve a lot and hopefully will once the team settles and there’s less changes each week. He’s team changes have been pretty spot on and the move of burton to halfback and Reynolds to cover imt he halves was clever

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To be honest I think it's ridiculous to be grading a rookie head coach after 12 games at a new club that hasn't made the finals in 7 years..

He's doing pretty well at 5-7 with a horrible injury toll and a lot of young players... If anyone expected a significantly better record with Edwards and Okunbur playing 50+ minutes and an 18 year old half, they're kidding themselves..

He handles himself well. That reflects in the team playing more committed and til the 80th minute.. Our fitness is way better than years past.. There's pride back in the jersey.. Things will only improve too with more signings to come and everyone gelling.. Plus Ciraldo will keep learning and improving as he gets more experience..
i actually think this article is from round 10 too which makes it even more ridiculous

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Likeable guy who is building a good culture. My only concern is the direction of the spine. Is Burto a 7, is now the time to blood KO, will Critta make a successful transition to 1. Only time will tell.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Giving him a pass and agree with most here on his obvious potential.

We're all hopeful and can probably see that he will grow into the job.

He seems switched on for the most part although his bench and propensity to stick with players no matter their performance is due to possibly being a slightly conservative coach who maybe overly values staid but reliable eg Perham... (possibly due to roster circumstances at present but will be better assessed next year if that's true)...then again it's his first grade coaching debut so not that surprising bc in other cases he has shown he can be flexible...as the season has progressed and he has seen what needs to he done. Obviously our team is at vastly different stages of skill and development than from where he's been for the past 9 years.

He has brought back pride in the jersey and for me that is the foundation for further success and the thing we most value as supporters and necessarily expect results to follow, when the roster is more balanced in the spine.

We can also factor Gus into this assessment of CC. He will not let him fail.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
A Solid A.

Finally a coach who doesn't make or except excuses, how refreshing.

No excuse for losses

No excuse considering bad refereeing decisions

No excuse considering crippling injury toll.

If he continues to not allow excuses, then this club is going to be in a strong place for a long long time.

Last edited: