Chris Smith Re-signs

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Pay is not going to come out and snitch on a player deficiency to explain decisions to pick or not to pick that player...No coach does that !

In my opinion it's only fair the people in charge of recruitment get judged at the next election...Not now !
I agree and didn’t say that. I’m saying people on here assume he has favourites and likes country boys etc but maybe they are the ones busting their guts at training which we don’t see day in and day out

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gotta be..

8.Tolman
9. Jmk
10. Napa
11. CHN
12. Stimpson
13. Jacko
14. Toomaga
15. RFM
16. Elliot
17. Katoa

Ogden isn't in the class off these guys yet.
I reckon Pay will start with this and hopefully Toomaga will be starting games after about 6 weeks onto the comp. Napa would be better off the bench anyway (Tolman has to either start or not play at all cause he'd bring no impact whatsoever from the bench). Stimson is a way better edge forward than Elliott or RFM and should start. Jacko is not an edge forward but is great in the middle - I don't understand why Pay hasn't made him our permanent lock already! Elliott doesn't bring much but Pay does seem to rate him. I'd prefer Sue or Britt over Elliott in the 17.

RFM was starting to look good through the middle late last year so he'd be rotating with Jacko and the front 2. I hope Ogden can lift into contention for first grade again but he's just depth at this stage. It's good to have a bit of depth but sad that we don't have a star forward amongst them. We're still short one high quality forward and a great DH, but this pack can still put us in finals contention if our halves perform.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree and didn’t say that. I’m saying people on here assume he has favourites and likes country boys etc but maybe they are the ones busting their guts at training which we don’t see day in and day out
He absolutely does have favourites and prefers a certain style of player over others, all coaches do so it's not something unusual. As long as you get results then this isn't an issue...

I only have to look at a few examples like To'omaga and Ogden. Ogden dropped almost instantly despite players like Smith and Elliott having absolute shockers through the year and still retaining their spots. It's also not as if Ogden was complete shit, at the time he was our only source of genuine momentum and was smashing his teammates in terms of metres per run and play the ball speed. But a couple of missed tackles and that was the end of him?

To'omaga going unused for large periods of the season and only getting a go towards the backend of the year despite some massive performances in ISP. It was crystal clear that he just needed some confidence and to string some footy at the top level to see if he had it or not, but he didn't get that opportunity until late despite there being plenty of chances earlier in the season for him to do so.

Pay imo can't manage certain players at this point, not everyone is going to be your flat out a million miles an hour type player at training and that's okay if it's within reason. Pay seems to value this type of thing extremely high though. You only have to look back at someone like Hodges who is historically one of the worst trainers, but come game day he was all over it and performed.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t get the hate for this guy, he runs harder than Napa. He misses a few but tackles hard.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
He absolutely does have favourites and prefers a certain style of player over others, all coaches do so it's not something unusual. As long as you get results then this isn't an issue...

I only have to look at a few examples like To'omaga and Ogden. Ogden dropped almost instantly despite players like Smith and Elliott having absolute shockers through the year and still retaining their spots. It's also not as if Ogden was complete shit, at the time he was our only source of genuine momentum and was smashing his teammates in terms of metres per run and play the ball speed. But a couple of missed tackles and that was the end of him?

To'omaga going unused for large periods of the season and only getting a go towards the backend of the year despite some massive performances in ISP. It was crystal clear that he just needed some confidence and to string some footy at the top level to see if he had it or not, but he didn't get that opportunity until late despite there being plenty of chances earlier in the season for him to do so.

Pay imo can't manage certain players at this point, not everyone is going to be your flat out a million miles an hour type player at training and that's okay if it's within reason. Pay seems to value this type of thing extremely high though. You only have to look back at someone like Hodges who is historically one of the worst trainers, but come game day he was all over it and performed.
I know what you are saying. Terry Lamb rarely trained but the sport has changed a lot, even since Hodges retired. Maybe he does have favourites, maybe he doesn’t. Maybe he looks for a certain attitude. None of us are NRL coaches and I hope he picks the best side possible with everything including training considered. That’s what we pay him for

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I know what you are saying. Terry Lamb rarely trained but the sport has changed a lot, even since Hodges retired. Maybe he does have favourites, maybe he doesn’t. Maybe he looks for a certain attitude. None of us are NRL coaches and I hope he picks the best side possible with everything including training considered. That’s what we pay him for
True, it's just frustrating to watch as fans because the on field performances of some players are no where near good enough to justify continuous selection while we have some more skilled players waiting in the wings. Pays first team will definitely tell us where his head is at.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Foz is on over a mill. Jackson, Napa and Tolman could also be on massive contracts. Someone like Elliott is reportedly on about 400k...who knows what some others are on and what this current board is paying with these contract extensions. It's also been hinted that we're not using TPA's or creative accounting...I doubt that but who knows.
It’s almost a bigger mess then the back dated contracts isn’t it.... Elliot on double his worth and Tolman potentially on big money.... SMH..

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
It’s almost a bigger mess then the back dated contracts isn’t it.... Elliot on double his worth and Tolman potentially on big money.... SMH..
Yes but pretty much all these deals end in 2020 - hence clear air for 2021...

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
ogden not in Elliot’s class?
Am I missing something
What class is Elliot in that I’m not aware of

if anything I’d agree with @doggieaaron and promote Stimson to start and rfm back to bench to come on and play middle.
Don't be like that, Elliot has had some shockers but he goes ok and works hard for his spot. Ogden on the other hand makes runs but once fatigues cannot defend which is why his struggling to consistently be chosen for the top grade.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Yes but pretty much all these deals end in 2020 - hence clear air for 2021...
Exactly and you can utilise those funds and make signings for 2021 now that’s why so many are anticipating some strong recruitment. Time will tell.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tolman is our most important prop.
I agree though he should be nothing than a reliable bench prop. It goes to show how bad our prop rotation is atm and people want to spend big on a centre.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I can already imagine our middle next season with Tolman, Elliott and Smith on together...maybe a guest appearance from Britt. We defenitely need to move Tolman on and look to recruit a Thompson or Arrow in his place.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Exactly and you can utilise those funds and make signings for 2021 now that’s why so many are anticipating some strong recruitment. Time will tell.
Absolutely we can, we should be and time will tell regarding the results.

One point I’ve been trying to make (with mixed success) is that just because no announcements have been made doesn’t mean nothing’s happening.

I think we should give the club a little more credit than some do - they’re not fools, it’s a competitive market and even with a policy of fostering more juniors, finding the right fit both culture and dollar wise, we need to bring in some quality in certain positions and I’m sure that’s how it’s going to play out.

The waiting game is the hard bit for the supporters of the club.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I can already imagine our middle next season with Tolman, Elliott and Smith on together...maybe a guest appearance from Britt. We defenitely need to move Tolman on and look to recruit a Thompson or Arrow in his place.
Unless I’m wrong mate Tetevano is still off contract for next year he wouldn’t be bad whist we are still trying to sign a Thompson type player for 2021. We would get him at a good price too I reckon. Just depends what the club wants.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Absolutely we can, we should be and time will tell regarding the results.

One point I’ve been trying to make (with mixed success) is that just because no announcements have been made doesn’t mean nothing’s happening.

I think we should give the club a little more credit than some do - they’re not fools, it’s a competitive market and even with a policy of fostering more juniors, finding the right fit both culture and dollar wise, we need to bring in some quality in certain positions and I’m sure that’s how it’s going to play out.

The waiting game is the hard bit for the supporters of the club.
Yeah you would have to think common sense we reportedly have around $400k available for next year and if we get $350k for Fozza that’s $750k... you’d think there is negotiations going on in the background.

We are a proud club and looking down the barrel of 4 straight seasons of missing the finals... not hard to see why people are down in the dumps.. but I’m sure the club know and feel that as well.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Unless I’m wrong mate Tetevano is still off contract for next year he wouldn’t be bad whist we are still trying to sign a Thompson type player for 2021. We would get him at a good price too I reckon. Just depends what the club wants.
Not keen on him, rather just give the minutes to what we have next season if we're not going to sign someone established or high potential.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
No Rorter player will be announcing they are leaving for 2021 unless Uncle Nick decides they are washed up, finished with them and well and truly been used up ;)

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Not keen on him, rather just give the minutes to what we have next season if we're not going to sign someone established or high potential.
That’s fair enough... I’d probably take him tbh he tackles a lot harder then some of the other guys we have and has big game experience. Something our young side lacks at this stage.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
A title is spelt right on the kennel and you want to change it? What about llllatrelllll haha
As in I don't want him in our team. He was decent at the roosters, but anyone is decent at the roosters lol