Chris Smith Re-signs

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Why??? There are a million younger forwards who deserve an opportunity more than Smith.

He is a solid avge player at best. Why waste a roster spot for him when we can use it on someone younger and might end up being a better player

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm divided on this. From a player performance stand point, he did some good stuff last season, but not frequently enough or enough to make up for his lapses. However, from a team management stand point from what has been said about him he is good bloke to have around, and no doubt he is on or near minimum wage for a top 25 player, freeing up some funds for other contracts.

Given the announcement itself says he is a depth signing, I'll assume he is there to cover injuries or come off the bench and take a wait and see approach. I'm also expecting that a young backrower has been identified as likely to be signed to the top 30 in 2022.

Natboy

Banned
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
To prove I am not a board sympathiser - I can't see the wisdom in this decision - especially when we have a big stock of back rowers already. Kennel - discuss!
A squad player and I hope we didn’t pay too much for him. I’m waiting for people to say why didn’t we just pay a few more dollars for Jai Arrow haha

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
The biggest issue is pay seems to love him and Elliot... So these 2 cannot be on the bench together and Elliot cannot start imo... So yeah hopefully one of them is in reserve grade (preferably Smith) or we will consistently lose the middle third again in 2020

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm divided on this. From a player performance stand point, he did some good stuff last season, but not frequently enough or enough to make up for his lapses. However, from a team management stand point from what has been said about him he is good bloke to have around, and no doubt he is on or near minimum wage for a top 25 player, freeing up some funds for other contracts.

Given the announcement itself says he is a depth signing, I'll assume he is there to cover injuries or come off the bench and take a wait and see approach. I'm also expecting that a young backrower has been identified as likely to be signed to the top 30 in 2022.
You're spot on with all that which makes it perplexing that they re-signed him a year out from his contract running out.

He's the type of player you sign after you have spent your money and have some spare change to throw at him.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Minimum wage
Nsw cup signing
As I’ve said before ya can’t sign all rep players people
You do need to fill reserves

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Minimum wage
Nsw cup signing
I figured this was the case mate. He probably will only feature in the first grade team to cover injuries and suspension.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Safety first dull decision when you factor in Kalache isn't in 30 or development squad?

Part of Pay's Pets I guess.

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here:
The kennel has become a page for whinny little bitches . Blow in supporters .

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yuck! He's a plodder that is a major cause of us getting dominated in the ruck and considering the junior talent coming through this is a terrible re-signing.
Wouldn't stress to much considering it's only until 2021 and will most likely be a fill from ccup when the juniors overtake him.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I had no idea he played 20 games last season

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Minimum wage
Nsw cup signing
Agree, but don't we have enough back rowers?

Last edited: